Premed 101 Forums

Withdrawn course

aqm

I have a Statistics 2nd yr 0.5 credit course from Utoronto that was "withdrawn". Now on the OMSAS list, the drop down menu under post-sec edu never gives the withdrawn option. It has the Inc (or incomplete) option. (I retook the course a semester later and completed it).

I called OMSAS and they said enter it as 'incomplete' - doing that gives me a GPA of 0 and really drops down my cGPA.

I called UofOttawa and they said if 'withdrawn' is not an option in the drop down menu then don't enter it.

Any ideas/similar experiences.suggesttions:

Thanks

AM

I have a Statistics 2nd yr 0.5 credit course from Utoronto that was "withdrawn". Now on the OMSAS list, the drop down menu under post-sec edu never gives the withdrawn option. It has the Inc (or incomplete) option. (I retook the course a semester later and completed it).

I called OMSAS and they said enter it as 'incomplete' - doing that gives me a GPA of 0 and really drops down my cGPA.

I called UofOttawa and they said if 'withdrawn' is not an option in the drop down menu then don't enter it.

Any ideas/similar experiences.suggesttions:

Thanks

AM

Did you have an academic penalty from U of T from withdrawing from the course. If the answer is no (and it probably is), you don't have to include the course on the OMSAS report.

what does 'academic penalty' mean? i withdrew it after the drop deadline because I was waiting for the midterm marks.....i did loose money too...financial penalty....but i am not really sure what the academic penalty is...

thanks again

Well there are a few levels of "withdrawn" at many schools. Did U of T assign a grade to that course (withdrawing too late at many schools gives you an automatic 32% for the course - obviously not good, but withdrawing earlier than that point has no consequences academically). Did the result of that course affect your average at U of T in any way?

Ah I understand...

no, they did nto give me a 32...:>

it did not affect my GPA or cGPA....

so i have I have no academic penalty

so i am good

and i dont have to enter it :>

Yes, you are good, don't include it then. OMSAS will send you a confirmation of your transcript prior to it being sent to the schools. Of course make sure they did not screw up when it arrives :)

rmorelan, I also have a withdrawn course from Dalhouse that did not affect my GPA. I was wondering how you know that we don't have to include it on the OMSAS report? Thanks. Because it says we have to include every course taken, including incomplete ones.

You don't have to include those - really from OMSAS's stand point you did not "take" the course. Incomplete in Ontario generally means you got to the end of the course but are missing something critical blocking the assignment of a grade - ie you missed the final exam due to illness etc.

Archived