Premed 101 Forums

Good idea to do undergrad away from Ontario in another province?

Strategy99

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah I discovered this idea a while ago. I live/am doing my undergrad in newfoundland. I move to calgary in early july 2010

Yea but you're already IP for Newfoundland, correct? You're chances are a billion times better than us Ontarians :D

My friend is going to Saskatchewan. I kind of want to follow him but I kind of want to go to Manitoba instead. Ahh decisions decisions :D

Yeah, good old Ontario is still clinging to its restrictive ways - it even extends into residency. If you do that in Ontario you don't have to pay back your OSAP right away, but if you heaven forbid leave to some other province - gotcha! :)

Oh dear! You have just added another layer to my OSAP obsession! :eek:

Yea but you're already IP for Newfoundland, correct? You're chances are a billion times better than us Ontarians :D

My friend is going to Saskatchewan. I kind of want to follow him but I kind of want to go to Manitoba instead. Ahh decisions decisions :D

Indeed! The joys of being a pre-med include physically moving to other provinces. It's a great way to see our beautiful country - hehe! ;)

Indeed! The joys of being a pre-med include physically moving to other provinces. It's a great way to see our beautiful country - hehe! ;)

Lol great :) I don't think I could make a bad decision though between Sask and Manitoba, both are good choices, and basically equal in chance of getting into med school.

What about moving to NL? I'm a med student at MUN (from OOP) and it seems like they're pretty leniant on the MCAT standards for IP applicants (I have heard of some IP people in the class who have MCAT scores in the low-mid 20s). Also it seems like a decent amount of IP applicants get interviewed.

yeah I can confirm this as well. 22 or bust for MUN IP

yeah I can confirm this as well. 22 or bust for MUN IP

At least 4 years ago they let in about 5 IP students with lower than 24 (and some--much lower!). However, if you read the standards, they are still somewhat complicated:

The place of residence for students is normally presumed to be the province in which the home of the parent is located; individuals will be deemed residents of Newfoundland and Labrador if they:

• are currently residing or permanent address in the province and attended school for five years during primary to high school inclusive; or

• are currently working full-time in the province for three years continuously not attending a post-secondary educational institution; or

• are currently residing or permanent address in the province for three years continuously because of family relocation, eg. of parent or spouse; or

• are currently residing or permanent address in the province for one year because of obtaining Landed Immigrant Status.

What about moving to NL? I'm a med student at MUN (from OOP) and it seems like they're pretty leniant on the MCAT standards for IP applicants (I have heard of some IP people in the class who have MCAT scores in the low-mid 20s). Also it seems like a decent amount of IP applicants get interviewed.

That being said (my above quote), if you move here and stopped studying...you could get IP status. Studying from MUN while you live here, won't.

What are you studying?

The place of residence for students is normally presumed to be the province in which the home of the parent is located; individuals will be deemed residents of Newfoundland and Labrador if they:

• are currently residing or permanent address in the province and attended school for five years during primary to high school inclusive; or

• are currently working full-time in the province for three years continuously not attending a post-secondary educational institution; or

• are currently residing or permanent address in the province for three years continuously because of family relocation, eg. of parent or spouse; or

• are currently residing or permanent address in the province for one year because of obtaining Landed Immigrant Status.

That's why I can't go to MUN for undergrad..

You could live here and complete your degree through Athabasca--I think that would count, wouldn't it?

I have no idea what that even is. I am still in high school, remember? :D

The only thing I am worried about for going to Manitoba: what if they change the rules after I start school there? I would get royally screwed if they chance the residency rules by saying "no one who does undergrad here counts as IP".

Can they do this? That would mess up so many people who go to Manitoba for school.

The only thing I am worried about for going to Manitoba: what if they change the rules after I start school there? I would get royally screwed if they chance the residency rules by saying "no one who does undergrad here counts as IP".

Can they do this? That would mess up so many people who go to Manitoba for school.

I'm sure if they wanted to phase out IP rules, it would be to be in advance.

i.e. they'd post: As of 20XX, these rules will no longer apply, so it wouldn't mess up anyone in the process of getting IP status, and it would prevent those considering starting from doing so.

That would work in the same way that university calendars do. Even if the calendar changes course requirements, they are legally bound to let you follow the calendar that was issued to you when you started university (or come to some sort of solution in the case of a dropped course, etc.) That's how it rolls at my uni, anyways

LOL--sorry, Athabasca is a university that offers a lot of online work. So you could live in NL and get your degree from Atha.

i.e. they'd post: As of 20XX, these rules will no longer apply, so it wouldn't mess up anyone in the process of getting IP status, and it would prevent those considering starting from doing so.

That would work in the same way that university calendars do. Even if the calendar changes course requirements, they are legally bound to let you follow the calendar that was issued to you when you started university (or come to some sort of solution in the case of a dropped course, etc.) That's how it rolls at my uni, anyways

Alright, thanks, keeps my mind at ease :D

Invigilator--some exams are online too.

Online exams? Sweet, allows for maximum cheating. :)

Be careful if you move provinces just to get IP status because the rules change year to year!

Dal for example.. I am IP in Alberta but am doing my undergrad is Nova Scotia and the rules changed for this application cycle as to what counts as IP. It used to be just living here consecutively for 2 years would count, meaning I would have been IP since I worked here in the summer, not in alberta. BUT they have since changed the rules so that living here 2 years ONLY counts if you are an INDEPENDENT applicant, to qualify for that you either need to be married, have a child or have graduated high school 5 or more years ago so students who did their undergrad in the maritimes who want to apply during their 4th year do not count if they are originally from another province.

Just make sure sure you fully check out the rules before moving....

That said, I have a friend who moved to Manitobia from Ont after an unsuccessful round of applications and got in the next year because of it. For him, totally worth it!

Be careful if you move provinces just to get IP status because the rules change year to year!

Dal for example.. I am IP in Alberta but am doing my undergrad is Nova Scotia and the rules changed for this application cycle as to what counts as IP. It used to be just living here consecutively for 2 years would count, meaning I would have been IP since I worked here in the summer, not in alberta. BUT they have since changed the rules so that living here 2 years ONLY counts if you are an INDEPENDENT applicant, to qualify for that you either need to be married, have a child or have graduated high school 5 or more years ago so students who did their undergrad in the maritimes who want to apply during their 4th year do not count if they are originally from another province.

Just make sure sure you fully check out the rules before moving....

That said, I have a friend who moved to Manitobia from Ont after an unsuccessful round of applications and got in the next year because of it. For him, totally worth it!

Okay hold on, these two posts contradict each other o_O

But I would think NewfieMike is right though, can they really screw you like that? The rules were different when you went to Nova Scotia and it isn't your fault they changed, so the new rules should not be applied to you. Are you sure they apply to you? They really should post these rules in advance...

Archived