Premed 101 Forums

Competition

Hello,

I was just wondering about the competition for surgical spots. I've checked out the CARMS stats but can't really get a good feel for the qualities of the students that get great surgical spots.

I don't have a graduate degree and am not super interested in obtaining one during residency. It seems like this is becoming a demand for the surgical programs.

I would love to know how possible it is the get a spot in ENT, OB/gyn or ortho without research/publications in the area. Also, I would like to stay in Alberta!

Thank you:p

I subjected myself to a surgery club meeting last week (*shudder* it was solely because I was told there'd be free food) and the two residents who came by said that they pretty much have do an MSc, because their hospital said they weren't hiring any more surgeons without graduate degrees. I think they were general surgery residents, too, not something crazy like neurosurg.

The only thing that makes it palatable is that they pay you a resident salary during your MSc as opposed to a typical grad student stipend (so you're getting 50+K a year), and you don't pay tuition. So it's essentially like adding 2 years onto your residency. So I guess if you wanna do surgery (not me!), it's not that bad.

I subjected myself to a surgery club meeting last week (*shudder* it was solely because I was told there'd be free food) and the two residents who came by said that they pretty much have do an MSc, because their hospital said they weren't hiring any more surgeons without graduate degrees. I think they were general surgery residents, too, not something crazy like neurosurg.

The only thing that makes it palatable is that they pay you a resident salary during your MSc as opposed to a typical grad student stipend (so you're getting 50+K a year), and you don't pay tuition. So it's essentially like adding 2 years onto your residency. So I guess if you wanna do surgery (not me!), it's not that bad.

of course, this would only apply to academic institutions; you can work in the community following a simple 5 year residency....they may request fellowship training however.

i cant believe you need a masters to get an academic job... im so glad i dont want surg, seems intense!

of course, this would only apply to academic institutions; you can work in the community following a simple 5 year residency....they may request fellowship training however.

do a lot of shadowing for sure so you can figure out what you like!

I am going to start trying to get as much experience as possible in all areas! I go to the U of C and we have a 3 year program that doesn't leave much time for deciding which specialty you want.

Thanks for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

For academic positions, you almost need an extra "something-something" to be hired. Whether that be a Masters degree(basic science, health-care and epidemiology, teaching, etc) or a fellowship, it's an asset if you want to be hired at a tertiary care teaching hospital and be university affiliated (doesn't carry much benefit though, not at UBC anyway).

For instance, at UBC, which has a "unique" 6 year general surgery program, residents will take one of those years and use it to get a health care and epi masters at Harvard. They will use their resident salary (usually PGY3 level) to offset some of the costs.

I think UBC will be discontinuing their 6 year program though. It's an extra year that our government neither no longer afford or justify, especially when no other gen surg program across Canada is 6 years.

Archived