Premed 101 Forums

Depressed about it

DOC_Ma

She said mine is too much of a resume not personal enough to touch people's heart. Well I thought different people have different approaches. I am well aware some would go write 1 vivid story and answer all the key questions needed to be answered. I chose to highlight my clinical experience+nursing home group home and research experience. about 3 things in total and I tried to reveal my qualities through those 3 things. She didn't say the word "crap" my apology for the misunderstanding, I meant she politely said my essay probably needs to be rewritten.

Bummer. That must have been tough to hear. Maybe you don't need to totally rewrite?

Maybe she's wrong, and I would take or leave her comments as you see fit. But you could try going through and making sure that every single thing you mention serves the function of showing why they should admit you, rather than just saying what you've done in the past. And maybe add some sentences here and there about how each experience has impacted you and influenced your decision. Maybe that will help it come off as more personal without having to drastically change the content.

Good luck!!

It's her opinion. If you feel that the essay is a good reflection of who you are and why you would be a good doctor than follow your instincts. But if you start to get similar feedback from others than ya maybe it's time for a rewrite lol. Just saying that you cannot please all the critics.

She said mine is too much of a resume not personal enough to touch people's heart. Well I thought different people have different approaches. I am well aware some would go write 1 vivid story and answer all the key questions needed to be answered. I chose to highlight my clinical experience+nursing home group home and research experience. about 3 things in total and I tried to reveal my qualities through those 3 things. She didn't say the word "crap" my apology for the misunderstanding, I meant she politely said my essay probably needs to be rewritten.

Don't feel too bad--she's just trying to help you. I'd take up the offer of Mike and...F_D? above and have them take a look at it.

Try to read other people's essays from previous years if you can get a hold of them. And if you're content with it, well, you don't have to follow that doc's advice. Just because she is a doc, doesn't mean she knows all. :rolleyes:

And if it makes you feel better, I haven't started my essay yet. Actually, I haven't started anything yet on OMSAS.

Try to read other people's essays from previous years if you can get a hold of them. And if you're content with it, well, you don't have to follow that doc's advice. Just because she is a doc, doesn't mean she knows all. :rolleyes:

And if it makes you feel better, I haven't started my essay yet. Actually, I haven't started anything yet on OMSAS.

after omsas completely wiped my application, im at the same point you are brother

Thanks people, I had a long day at the career services and lab, I am just getting started on revising my essay. Will get a few people to read after I am done, thanks all for the kind offers. Oh and btw, the doc does not know me at all, only my parents friend so it's like a random person reading my essay. However she did work in the adcom and was a graduate from uoft as well like 10 15 years ago or something. So I thought her feedback would be highly representative of what most adcoms would think? It truly is a bummer hearing so many negative comments about my essay I guess it's time to start rethinking about the main themes.

This may just be me, but when I wrote this thing I found it was both really ahrd and really easy... The hard part for me was trying to abandon all that planning and what normal essays should be. After that, it was easy. I just answered why do I want to be a doctor and why would I be good at it. I wrote it really fast and the feedback I got on it was that it sounded very (quoting here) "refreshing" and "genuine". I think that's the result of not having a plan and just being honest. It probably wont work for everyone but try it and see what you end up writing... there may be things that you can use!

This may just be me, but when I wrote this thing I found it was both really ahrd and really easy... The hard part for me was trying to abandon all that planning and what normal essays should be. After that, it was easy. I just answered why do I want to be a doctor and why would I be good at it. I wrote it really fast and the feedback I got on it was that it sounded very (quoting here) "refreshing" and "genuine". I think that's the result of not having a plan and just being honest. It probably wont work for everyone but try it and see what you end up writing... there may be things that you can use!

Ya those are basically the 2 questions I tried to answer as well. I ll wait for future_doc's comments as I have sent her my essay for some critiques.

If you're going to rewrite go over the parts here, I found it after my essay was completed but it has a lot of great tips:

http://www.medhopeful.com/archive/mastering-the-university-of-toronto-medical-school-essay-part-1-the-secret/

If it means anything, at about the 7th draft, someone completely overhauled my essay in an edit and it became significantly better. 10 drafts may have not been enough. It's not possible to please everyone but one dissenting opinion is enough to really critically analyze what you've got. At least it was for me.

Archived