Premed 101 Forums

Status???

Guest Waiting

A classmate of mine received a rejection from Toronto last week. His rejection was based totally on his low GPA and low MCAT's and he was expecting it to come. (He knew that he was less than competitive but applied to see what would happen.) Other than his rejection, I haven't heard of anyone else receiving any news either way from Toronto - and there are a bunch of us that applied. I believe that my one friend (who is now in UofT meds) received her interview notification somewhere around mid-Feb for the March interview weekend last year.

Hey James,

Were these rejections based on not meeting the GPA/MCAT cutoffs, or were these people's files completely examined (i.e. essay, letters of reference, etc.)?

Guest Jase133

It seems likely that these rejections are based solely on marks and MCATs. U of T states that you need a min of 8 on all sections of the MCATs and min of 3.6 (correct me if I am wrong).

Guest James Wong

My friend who got the rejection had about a 3.8X and 30p MCAT (10-10-10) so I don't think he was rejected for those reasons. It may have resulted from an incomplete form??? I really don't know why he was rejected.

Guest James Wong

Tell me about it. It MUST have been his application cause his STATS are great. Some times, it really is a crap shoot....as are interviews from what I hear.

Guest ThugJaan

Hey,

I know of many people last year in the 3.8X GPA range and 33+ MCATS that were not given an interview, even though they had outstanding sketches. There is no 'automatic' interview to UofT (like there is at Queens/Western)...its a waitiing game until the bitter end.

Take this with a grain though, since there are many people in our class with stats below those.

From very reliable sources, I KNOW that reading of the essays began at UofT only last week, and was in preliminary stages by tuesday (12th of Feb). Any interviews based on them won't be mailed/recieved before the tail-end of Feb or early March. Rejections were probably based on inappropriate/incomplete applications. Good luck to you all.. I am not an applicant yet, but I do empathise with your anticipatory anxiety.

Please, check the question I will pose in "general discussion", cuz I'd like to know what the opinion(s) of die-hard UofT applicants are.

OK, but they definitely have interviews on March 1, 2, and 3. When exactly are they going to notify all of those people? Getting a letter (for example) 3 days before isn't all that fair..

Interviews notifications are typically 3 weeks before, although there was one student who received an interview one week before (but maybe an exception since he was interviewed in June)

Wait a minute...now I'm confused. Does U of T look at your essay BEFORE they give you an interview invite, or after? I'm studying at UBC, and I haven't received anything from U of T yet. Don't know whether this is a good thing or a bad thing.

hey people,

I just wanted to let people know that they are still e-mailing people for the march 2-3 weekend. I just got an email today. The attached letter was dated February 20th, 2001.

I am a grad student, but I don't think that I was being considered as a grad student as I am not an M.Sc research type.

Archived