Premed 101 Forums

Class time

Guest KG

We go on average from 8am to 4pm, that works out to about a 40 hour class-week. Occasionally we get a day where we get off at 3pm or 2pm. This is a lot of class time, and I must say for the anatomy section of the course it was really enjoyable - however, these past 5 weeks we've been doing an undergrad-style physiology/biochem/pharm/histo unit that is pretty draining, espcially with PBLs to prepare for. I think that for all the people in the class except for the very uninvolved ones, falling behind is inevitable. What has been reiterated to us many times before is that to be happy in meds, you have to be comfortable being behind all the time, and in many cases looking like a doorknob in front of your peers. And I have a gut feeling that this is applicable to meds in every school, not just UT.

Guest not rex morgan

Yup. Pretty behind over on the west coast. There are the select few that don't seem to be behind, but I suspect even some of them are just uncomfortable admitting they're behind. You absolutely have to be comfortable with looking like a "doorknob." Well put. PBL works better when you admit what you don't know. You get better at it, when you ask better questions. We're on campas alot as well. 8-4 is pretty accurate, although we do get half days on Mondays.

Guest ThugJaan

Hey,

Our official class time is indeed from 8am - 4pm, although we often do not have to stay until 4.

We get an hour for lunch, and sometimes we don not have lab so we get a small 2 hr break. What this doesn't include is extra-currics. though, that for most people take some more of the free time out. Also, factor in meals, etc. and most med students really have 2 choices:

a) fall behind

B) don't sleep

some people opt for B), but personally I am not sleeping and still behind. Maybe I need to move closer to save on travel time, but I also need to save some money. Ah, the external balance bw comfort and money :)

Archived