Premed 101 Forums

advice?

akheroux

Yeah, I realize I probably don't have a shot at the 'GPA schools'. My last two years were 3.9, it's those first couple that are holding me back - too much partying :). I'm kind of counting on my MCAT to pick up the slack in my application. Breakdown was PS14 VR14 BS13 Q (hoping Queens doesn't have another R cut-off this year, that would be a kick in the pants).

Yeah, I realize I probably don't have a shot at the 'GPA schools'. My last two years were 3.9, it's those first couple that are holding me back - too much partying :). I'm kind of counting on my MCAT to pick up the slack in my application. Breakdown was PS14 VR14 BS13 Q (hoping Queens doesn't have another R cut-off this year, that would be a kick in the pants).

Assuming I didn't do any calculating mistakes wrong at 2AM in the morning... you have about a 13.1 on the UofM scale. You should try UofM then since MCAT there is worth 40%, while GPA is only 15%. Your score is definitely above average for OOP.

How did you study for the MCAT?! That's insane!

Damn, one of the few schools I didn't prepare an application for, and it looks like the deadline is approaching fast too.

I bought the kaplan books and read them on a beach in Thailand, so I don't suggest anyone follow my example ;) . Honestly, I wish I could take full credit for that score, but I believe luck played a significant factor. Of course, that won't stop me from milking it for all it's worth :D

Damn, one of the few schools I didn't prepare an application for, and it looks like the deadline is approaching fast too.

I bought the kaplan books and read them on a beach in Thailand, so I don't suggest anyone follow my example ;) . Honestly, I wish I could take full credit for that score, but I believe luck played a significant factor. Of course, that won't stop me from milking it for all it's worth :D

Insane MCAT, apply for uofm 40% mcat there. Also harvard, Yale, Johns Hopkins you name it the big ones in the states.

Thanks for the help guys, I put in my application today! I probably wouldn't have considered UoM otherwise (seems like a world away from good old BC, but then again so do all the other provinces lol) :)

You're probably already aware, but UofM also has a weighting scale that is more flex than other schools, ie. Ontario schools. UofM will drop up to 30 of your worst credit hours, regardless of whether you were FT/PT for a certain year.

So you never know, your GPA may end up higher than what it is on the OMSAS scale.

UBC is one of the schools I applied to this year - my first choice actually :D . Here's a summary of my non-academics:

Volunteering:

- St. John's Ambulance first aid attendant for 2 years

- Volunteered in HIV/AIDS ward for 1 year

- Engineering Student society exec. for 1 year

- Volunteer tutor for 1 year

- Outreach work with homeless population in Vancouver

- Volunteer fitness coach

EC's:

- Playing/teaching guitar in and out of bands for 8 years

- Earned my pilots license a few years ago

- Lots of backpacking around South America, Europe, Asia, and Africa

- Been riding/restoring motorcycles for 7 years, and raced semi-pro for a season

- SCUBA diving

Employment:

- Bartending at a few different places

- Several engineering student jobs at design firms (and one unfortunate year in Ft. McMurray, bleh)

- Tutoring agency for high school kids

No research experience though, hopefully that isn't looked down upon in the review.

Archived