Premed 101 Forums

Is this not a popular school?

This is just from my personal experiences, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about this school. Some of my friends in Ontario are applying to Dalhousie, Calgary and UBC, but no one's mentioned Alberta.

I recently looked at their website. The acceptance rate is quite good for OOP students, Edmonton's a nice city, but is there something I'm missing?

I think it's because U of A's is quite far up north and we have a pretty comprehensive list of pre-requisites. Just based on my anecdotal experience, it seems that at least half the people who didn't apply to U of A say that it was because they didn't have/wanna bother taking the pre-reqs.

its the English dammit. If I did not have residency i would not be applying. I'm having to take English online for this. There are so many bloody books and essays for this one course......a complete pain. So i can see why others would not apply. I tried to see if i had a substitutable course in my past, but alas, nope

It's really funny you mention this. On my interview day, I was sitting next to the then-Dean of the med school, and told him that I was very impressed with the school's campus, the size of the med school, the number of specialties represented, the reputation of the school in medical circles nationally and internationally, etc. etc. but that when I was living in Ottawa I had never really heard much about the U of A. I asked if they had made any efforts to use the media, etc. to advertise their school or their program out east - apparently they hadn't. Maybe this has something to do with those out east not knowing much about us?

At any rate, it's both good and bad that the school isn't more popular. It's bad because the school boasts a phenominal med school, with dedicated OOP spots, top notch residency programs (internal med, gen surg, ENT), etc. It's good, because it hasn't become as crazy competitive to get in as some other schools.

And, personally, I wouldn't say Edmonton is *that* nice of a city... at least not compared to Ottawa, Calgary, Montreal, Vancouver, St. John's,....

• 3 weeks later...

edmonton is a great city to live in. and it grows on you. also very difficult to move away from.

the school was on probation recently, and some of the residency programs are as well. lots of issues getting sorted out (it sounds like many/all have already been), so that may have some impact (??)

You make a good point - Edmonton isn't a hot spot for people that live anywhere but edmonton. having spent some time in ontario, most people want to move to calgary, not edmonton. those who like it though, like it a lot.

It's really funny you mention this. On my interview day, I was sitting next to the then-Dean of the med school, and told him that I was very impressed with the school's campus, the size of the med school, the number of specialties represented, the reputation of the school in medical circles nationally and internationally, etc. etc. but that when I was living in Ottawa I had never really heard much about the U of A. I asked if they had made any efforts to use the media, etc. to advertise their school or their program out east - apparently they hadn't. Maybe this has something to do with those out east not knowing much about us?

I actually had a conversation with Dean Baker about this last week, and he was adamant that the promotion work we're doing is top notch. I didn't really get any details as to what they were doing (the environment wasn't conducive to an in-depth discussion). He did, however, mention our major improvement in rankings as proof that their new strategy is working. I believe U of A jumped from something like 180 to 60 in the course of a year or 2 in the worldwide uni ranking? He said his ultimate goal is to have us sitting in top 20 and he firmly believes in getting there in like 5 years.

the school was on probation recently, and some of the residency programs are as well. lots of issues getting sorted out (it sounds like many/all have already been), so that may have some impact (??)

I think quite a few schools have been on probation. I remember our deans talking about it during O-week and they mentioned that our number of citations was actually less than the average, and some school out east had almost twice the # of citations than we did.

I actually had a conversation with Dean Baker about this last week, and he was adamant that the promotion work we're doing is top notch. I didn't really get any details as to what they were doing (the environment wasn't conducive to an in-depth discussion). He did, however, mention our major improvement in rankings as proof that their new strategy is working. I believe U of A jumped from something like 180 to 60 in the course of a year or 2 in the worldwide uni ranking? He said his ultimate goal is to have us sitting in top 20 and he firmly believes in getting there in like 5 years.

Those rankings seem so bizzare to me, every schools seems to move in and out of probation while still producing excellent doctors all along. I just find it weird!

I think quite a few schools have been on probation. I remember our deans talking about it during O-week and they mentioned that our number of citations was actually less than the average, and some school out east had almost twice the # of citations than we did.

that kind of sounds like the chris rock skit.

"I provide for my children, and I haven't gone to jail yet!"...something to be proud of ;-)

I'm assuming you're referring to Dal?

Archived