Premed 101 Forums

2nd entry BScN/Compressed Program for Medschool?????

Hi! I'm from the Philippines and I'm planning to pursue my nursing course in Canada. I looked up several sites from different schools and I'm planning to enter the 2nd entry Nursing program or any Compressed Program because I feel like it's better for me that way, than to start all over again. My grades from my 1st and 2nd year are not so high so I'm leaning over York University and Trent University Nursing programs.

I like Nursing but I'm also looking for the possibility of entering Medicine after I graduate. I know it's very difficult, but, I'm thinking about it once I finish nursing. My problem though, I don't know if the Medical Schools in Ontario will accept me as having finished a 2 year or a 3 year Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree??

Anybody can shed light and also advice me on what nursing school I should take into consideration also???

Thanks.

It doesn't matter 'how long your program is' as long as you have met X # of credits, which is typically 90 credit hours or 120 credit hours. I know people who did 90 credit hours in 2 years and 120 credit hours in 3 years. Frankly, the number of years is not a big deal.

Will you be studying as an international student? Or do you have PR or Immigrant status coming to Canada? Because if you are an international student, there are very limited opportunities for international students to study medicine in Canada. For example, UofT only accepts 6 international students per year.

EDIT: Ooops, I should have read carefully. You'll be working in Canada after getting your Nursing Degree, so I guess you'll be immigrating to Canada?

With regards to nursing, I can't really help you out there. I'm not too familiar on which programs are 'top-tier'. But I'd assume the usual big names, like UofT and Mac.

Also, thoughts and prayers out to you guys in the Philippines.

Thank you very much for the response. I will try finding out more "short" programs if that's the case.

I am waiting for my Permanent Resident Card.

About the "top tier" thing.. I am choosing these schools (York and Trent) base on what my GPA actually is. Also, those top schools are hard to get into and they are bad for GPA.

Thanks for that. It's a tough time here but I'm really happy a lot of people knew about the disaster that happened.

Top tier? This is Canda we're talking about. Go to the school that will be the best fit for you and don't worry about prestige.

Does this mean it doesn't matter if I graduated at not so great schools?? It's the opposite here in the Phil. I studied at a prestigious university so I'm a "tad" concerned about it. I keep reading though that it doesn't matter what school you came from, since these schools follow the same standards. (well, I'm not entirely sure though)

Does this mean it doesn't matter if I graduated at not so great schools?? It's the opposite here in the Phil. I studied at a prestigious university so I'm a "tad" concerned about it. I keep reading though that it doesn't matter what school you came from, since these schools follow the same standards. (well, I'm not entirely sure though)

That is basically correct - although I can really see why someone from your background would be concerned about it. Almost all Canadian universities are publicly funded so there is central oversight over things.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Sorry in advance because this has been probably asked before but I am asking this now. I have studied for 2 years here in the Philippines. As I've mentioned, my GPA isn't that high. If I enter the nursing program here (let's say at Trent), and I finished it and I plan to apply to medical schools, would they also include my grades from my previous university experience when they will calculate the GPA?? I'm really worried about this.

http://redbooks.sus.mcgill.ca/index.php/University_of_Toronto_Medicine

At that site, I see that some schools require students to have studied in Canada for at least 3 years like Queen's and U of T. Does this mean it's safe for me to choose a 3-year Nursing program over a 2-year one?

Archived