Premed 101 Forums

"Is there anything else relevant to your application"

Hi,

I have a question regarding the activities section: the last question there asks "Is there anything else relevant to your application that you feel the committee should take into consideration?" Now, apart from that there is a separate "additional comments" section somewhere else. So what's the difference? Anybody knows?

Thanks

Hi,

I have a question regarding the activities section: the last question there asks "Is there anything else relevant to your application that you feel the committee should take into consideration?" Now, apart from that there is a separate "additional comments" section somewhere else. So what's the difference? Anybody knows?

Thanks

"Additional comments" is where you would note something of interest in your application re: having one crappy semester/year due to major family/health/social crisis, or how you have less than perfect grades because you actually spent 6 years working in something completely unrelated and decided to start university later than most and were at a disadvantage, or you have decent grades despite having the burden of raising your two younger siblings and taking care of a family member while going to school....

The "anything else relevant" section is a bit more ambiguous. I talked about how I'd be a great med student :) I don't know if that helped or what, but I thought, 'what the heck, it can't hurt to talk about why I'm good'. I've heard leaving it blank is a no-no though....

• 2 weeks later...
i thought the final additional comments was almost like a comment box? referring to the "application process"??

it sure sounds like that doesn't it?

i do want to explain a bad year at university but likely will have to use question 6 under activities to do this. I just am not sure of "additional comments" is the place to do it.

Shouldn't it be in the question oreo referred to, "Is there anythig else relevant .....?".

yeah. that's where im putting it. 800 characters aint much but thats where it goes.

i just was making sure my interpretation of additional comments was correct. i'll just call monday.

800 characters allows for a complete Executive Summary w/o embellishment

depends on the topic obviously

i don't think so about the exec summary. generally, an exec summary is one page. one page ~ 500 words, with is roughly 3500 characters give or take

800 is FAR off that.

depends on the topic obviously

i don't think so about the exec summary. generally, an exec summary is one page. one page ~ 500 words, with is roughly 3500 characters give or take

800 is FAR off that.

Off topic, but it really depends on who you are writing for. Some executive summaries are similar to abstracts and can easily be written as less than half a page.

Typically though, you are correct--one page for an executive summary.

A little late to reply to this, but what I understand about this section is that it allows applicants an opportunity to add something that they could not fit into questions 1-5 which will help give the evaluator additional perspective on the application. However, I do not believe that you can gain points for the content mentioned in this question, so there is no penalty for leaving it blank.

Archived