Premed 101 Forums

Autobiographical Sketch?

Does UWO care about your autobiographical sketch?

Pre-interview is 50/50 gpa/mcat

Post-interview is 50/25/25 interview/gpa/mcat

Are these incorrect allotments?

I think you know this, but pre-interview there are MCAT/GPA cut-offs only. Anyone who meets (or exceeds) the cut-offs *gets* an interview.

*although not guaranteed according to UWO*

Your post-interview assessment is correct. The GPA used in the 25% weighting is your SINGLE best year carrying a full-course load and the proper course levels (not including your current year of study).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard from others that they WILL consider the GPA in your current year as the 25%. Granted these students were doing their undergrad at western so maybe the admissions committee has easier access to their current year marks.

I have never heard of that before - I can say it sounds like a incorrect version of conditional acceptance where you current year can be used as the second one that must be higher than the cut off (last year being 3.75). However that the year used in the scoring is your other GPA year. The rules posted from western do not suggest another route.

After being accepted on the May 15 I had until the end of June to actually send in my transcripts. Seemed like that was standard, so they wouldn't have that information in yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard from others that they WILL consider the GPA in your current year as the 25%. Granted these students were doing their undergrad at western so maybe the admissions committee has easier access to their current year marks.

No, this is incorrect. It's also wrong to think that UWO (or any other institution) gives an advantage to its own students.

I have never heard of that before - I can say it sounds like a incorrect version of conditional acceptance where your current year can be used as the second one that must be higher than the cut off (last year being 3.75). However that the year used in the scoring is your other GPA year. The rules posted from western do not suggest another route.

After being accepted on the May 15 I had until the end of June to actually send in my transcripts. Seemed like that was standard, so they wouldn't have that information in yet.

This is true and probably accounts for what you heard. The same 'best year' that is used to grant an interview, is the same year used in the final GPA score for ranking interviewed applicants.

I have never heard of that before - I can say it sounds like a incorrect version of conditional acceptance where you current year can be used as the second one that must be higher than the cut off (last year being 3.75). However that the year used in the scoring is your other GPA year. The rules posted from western do not suggest another route.

How are you liking your first few weeks at Schulich Med?

They do look at your sketch at some point though, right?

I have heard that UWO does not consider your autobiographical sketch or your reference letters except in extreme situations. I'm not exactly sure what classifies as an 'extreme situation' or if this is out-of-date information.

However, based on what is known (i.e. how they rank applicants for interviews and subsequently rank for admission), it would appear that no weight is given to certain components of the application package including references and sketch.

Sketch certainly not. UWO interviews are "closed file", so they know nothing about you.

I think references may be used as flags...but that is speculation. But I do think this is the consensus at least among these forums.

First year is great so far...we are wrapping up our first block, exam next week.

Good luck with applications!

They do look at your sketch at some point though, right?

No the don't, you are a complete mystery to them at the interview. They don't even know your program or what school you go to. That might throw some people off, but I think it can give a better indication of you.

No the don't, you are a complete mystery to them at the interview. They don't even know your program or what school you go to. That might throw some people off, but I think it can give a better indication of you.

Oh man, really? Western is the only school I applied to, so I suppose I shouldn't have bothered with filling out the sketch or do they look at it after the interview?

Oh man, really? Western is the only school I applied to, so I suppose I shouldn't have bothered with filling out the sketch or do they look at it after the interview?

Not even then, really it is never seen at all.

That being said the time you spent working on it is not a waste - you WILL be asked questions that requires you pull quickly off the top your head examples of things. Having a prepared list like you have is a great place to start! It is also the ground work for the all important 2 mins (approx) you will have at the start of the interview - the big "tell me about yourself" question.

Not even then, really it is never seen at all.

That being said the time you spent working on it is not a waste - you WILL be asked questions that requires you pull quickly off the top your head examples of things. Having a prepared list like you have is a great place to start! It is also the ground work for the all important 2 mins (approx) you will have at the start of the interview - the big "tell me about yourself" question.

That's true, thanks for the info rmorelan!

Wow, they don't look at your sketch...So I guess the only reason they ask for it is because other schools do it too, and they might as well have it for extreme cases?

Anyway, thanks for the information.

Not sure why they want it - perhaps it is just to see where you where to school etc as they have rules about 2nd degrees etc. Seems like overkill for that though of course :)

They need to make you a moderator so you can lay down the law.

rmorelan enemy of spam bots everywhere! Although laying down the law probably should be law's job :) At almost 10,000 posts now, going to have to give him a medal or something.

Still I am not actually sure who Western's moderator is? Might be time to get a few more on here - couldn't hurt!

Archived