Premed 101 Forums

UWO stats for class of 2013

Hello,

for anyone interested, the class of 2013 stats is up.

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/dentistry/docs/Statistics_Class2013.pdf

A few interesting changes I noticed is a drop of applicants number from 621 to 578 but the average of admitted aplicants has gone up from 88.51% to 89.09% :( . DAT scores have seemed to have stayed the same though.

Also, the average age dropped so much! 26 to 22...

Haha, I was hoping the average mark would go down a bit or stay the same at least because it jumped so much from class of 2011 to 2012, but instead it had to go up even more...I wonder what it would be next year...:confused: I'm guessing 90...

what does "Minimum Individual Average used in Admissions Process" mean?

it wouldn't make sense for 81.25 to be the minimum 2 year average accepted into the program, because you need 83.4 to get an interview...

EDIT: does that mean 81.25 was the lowest average out of all the APPLICANTS?

what does "Minimum Individual Average used in Admissions Process" mean?

it wouldn't make sense for 81.25 to be the minimum 2 year average accepted into the program, because you need 83.4 to get an interview...

EDIT: does that mean 81.25 was the lowest average out of all the APPLICANTS?

on second thought.... if 81.25 was the average of the lowest applicant, that means 55% of applicants had averages between 81.25 and 83.4. With the other 45% having averages between 83.4 to 96.8.

The more I think about it, the more this scenario seems a bit unrealistic wouldn't you say?

on second thought.... if 81.25 was the average of the lowest applicant, that means 55% of applicants had averages between 81.25 and 83.4. With the other 45% having averages between 83.4 to 96.8.

The more I think about it, the more this scenario seems a bit unrealistic wouldn't you say?

maybe it means one year...and not two? It seems like they specified the term "two years" on every other sections...except this one

maybe the 81.25 is the person with the lowest average that was considered for an interview?

so everyone under 81.25 gets cut, they consider the rest and eventually only people over 83.4 get interviews (not all obviously)...

can this be right?

BTW when UWO calculates your average fo they use decimal points as they do in these stats? or do they round to nearest %?

one of my years is 79.8% -_-

maybe it means one year...and not two? It seems like they specified the term "two years" on every other sections...except this one

I stumbled upon this thread by accident...

My take on this is what Dr. Pepper said above. There were 578 applicants and the best two-year average cut-off was set at 83.4% Based on this cut-off, 260 applicants (45% of pool) made it to the interview stage.

Out of these 260 applicants, it appears that the lowest individual year average for applicants was 81.25% while the highest single year was 96.80% (wow!).

I don't see the point of including these statistics, unless UWO imposes a minimum single year average that can be used to fulfill the best-two year average (or unless the single best year is also somehow used to rank applicants). Otherwise, what does it matter if one student landed an interview with Year 1 avg.: 70% and Year 2 avg.: 100% for an average of 85% vs. the applicant that scored 85% in both years considered for admission?

I stumbled upon this thread by accident...

My take on this is what Dr. Pepper said above. There were 578 applicants and the best two-year average cut-off was set at 83.4% Based on this cut-off, 260 applicants (45% of pool) made it to the interview stage.

Out of these 260 applicants, it appears that the lowest individual year average for applicants was 81.25% while the highest single year was 96.80% (wow!).

I don't see the point of including these statistics, unless UWO imposes a minimum single year average that can be used to fulfill the best-two year average (or unless the single best year is also somehow used to rank applicants). Otherwise, what does it matter if one student landed an interview with Year 1 avg.: 70% and Year 2 avg.: 100% for an average of 85% vs. the applicant that scored 85% in both years considered for admission?

Haha, they DO have such criteria. You need to have 80% in EACH of the two years used for calculation of your best 2 years' average.

"Historically, students who achieve an average of 80% or higher in each of two individual academic years have been considered competitive. Western’s Dental program administration does not average years together to achieve 80% over two years."

Haha, they DO have such criteria. You need to have 80% in EACH of the two years used for calculation of your best 2 years' average.

"Historically, students who achieve an average of 80% or higher in each of two individual academic years have been considered competitive. Western’s Dental program administration does not average years together to achieve 80% over two years."

Oh, well there you go then! That clarifies the admissions statistics; it shows the range of successful single year averages used in the admissions process.

Archived