Premed 101 Forums

Marianopolis

Premed0.o

Hello. i am currently in sec 5 and my goal (for now) is to get into marianopolis. i have been really slacking off during my sec 4 year and my average is only around 86?? I will try really hard in sec 5 to get an average of 90and up but will marianopolis accept me? i heard it was really competitive to get in... ahhh..... my ultimate goal is to get into Pre-med in mcgill. i also heard this was IMPOSSIBLE. but i am willing to work my assss off to get in.

anyways my question is do i have a chance to get into Marianopolis? if not marianopolis, which cegep would you recommend for health science?

Hello. i am currently in sec 5 and my goal (for now) is to get into marianopolis. i have been really slacking off during my sec 4 year and my average is only around 86?? I will try really hard in sec 5 to get an average of 90and up but will marianopolis accept me? i heard it was really competitive to get in... ahhh..... my ultimate goal is to get into Pre-med in mcgill. i also heard this was IMPOSSIBLE. but i am willing to work my assss off to get in.

anyways my question is do i have a chance to get into Marianopolis? if not marianopolis, which cegep would you recommend for health science?

your ULTIMATE goal is to get into premed or to work as an attending in a specialty that you like and in a place that you like?

Think about it

Not getting into Marianopolis cna be a gift in disguise and will likely help you to get into med-p at McGill. Take a look at Dawson where your grades will be more competitive. I ogot into Marianopolis and am now completing the last year of my UG degree. I am entirely a happy camper and had I gone to Dawson, I would have had a better shot at getting in without my UG degree. Just my 2 cents. Be careful what you wish for.

I didn't apply to marianopolis, but when i went to the open house (maybe 3 years ago?) they mentioned that you need ~85% in your overall + science courses to get accepted into their science program. That being said, I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and tell you to go to another cegep. If you're looking for english cegeps, then Dawson, Vanier, or Champlain are the only other ones I know.

I went to Champlain and I personally enjoyed the small school. You get to know everyone and you'll have an easier time getting to know the professors too.

Not getting into Marianopolis cna be a gift in disguise and will likely help you to get into med-p at McGill. Take a look at Dawson where your grades will be more competitive. I ogot into Marianopolis and am now completing the last year of my UG degree. I am entirely a happy camper and had I gone to Dawson, I would have had a better shot at getting in without my UG degree. Just my 2 cents. Be careful what you wish for.

i just want to go to marianopolis. and i heard of all those r-score stories but that wont stop me im just wondering if i have a shot at getting in im taking AP math science will that helP?

your ULTIMATE goal is to get into premed or to work as an attending in a specialty that you like and in a place that you like?

Think about it

thats my ultimate goal for education... going to pre med and continuing with med school at mcgill. before you post a comment that doesnt even answer my question and is just rude while acting like you know everything,

Think about it

I didn't apply to marianopolis, but when i went to the open house (maybe 3 years ago?) they mentioned that you need ~85% in your overall + science courses to get accepted into their science program. That being said, I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and tell you to go to another cegep. If you're looking for english cegeps, then Dawson, Vanier, or Champlain are the only other ones I know.

I went to Champlain and I personally enjoyed the small school. You get to know everyone and you'll have an easier time getting to know the professors too.

i want to go to marianopolis but if i dont get in champlain was one of my other options! i heard that school was very good too. just out of curiosity, are you enrolling in mcgill right now? pre med?

As said, in Marionopolis, it is hard to be better than the average. Go to a school where the average score and the average person is lower. Mar. can be better for ambiance, feelings, etc but mathematically, it will be harder than in other cegeps. For example, when I was in Maisonneuve cegep, some people didn't work hard which lowered the average which help me a lot. When I read in the Mcgill forum, it looks as if everybody at marionopolis wants to be in medecine. In Maisonneuve, there was 1/3 competitive people and 1/3 people who did nothing, which compensate for the competitive people.

thats my ultimate goal for education... going to pre med and continuing with med school at mcgill. before you post a comment that doesnt even answer my question and is just rude while acting like you know everything,

Think about it

calm down bro, if you can't understand humor it's your problem

Peace

I don’t get why you people try to deter the OP from going to Marianopolis- sure you might find it difficult to get a place in the library, people study and do their best, the medical science club is pretty popular… but that’s the point, the work ethic is great, people try hard, and I would much prefer being in a competitive environment than just collecting some cheap points (if i may say so) because my peers slack off and don’t bother working. If you worry about the class average and getting on top it, then just work harder- don’t decide not to go a college because of that. Besides, being over the average doesn’t mean that u would be a good doctor and if ur goals reach beyond getting in medicine (maybe actually be a good physician and make a difference or something…) then what’s wrong with Marianopolis? I mean the class average there is around 75-85, right? (That’s my observation til now) Still rooms for hopes with that, right? Isn't learning supposed to go beyond grade? try volunteering for open-mindedness, social consciousness…

Anyway, just my 2 cents… back to midterms studying

EDIT: Hmm... funny that i go to the forum every time i have a test...

If you're a genius go to Marianapolis.. I would suggest you to go to Dawson. I went to Brebeuf and liked my experience, the great quality of education given, etc but it's hard to constantly get better marks than the average for each class...

If you want better odds in entering medecine (not necessarily McGill though), I would suggest Dawson.

I don’t get why you people try to deter the OP from going to Marianopolis- sure you might find it difficult to get a place in the library, people study and do their best, the medical science club is pretty popular… but that’s the point, the work ethic is great, people try hard, and I would much prefer being in a competitive environment than just collecting some cheap points (if i may say so) because my peers slack off and don’t bother working. If you worry about the class average and getting on top it, then just work harder- don’t decide not to go a college because of that. Besides, being over the average doesn’t mean that u would be a good doctor and if ur goals reach beyond getting in medicine (maybe actually be a good physician and make a difference or something…) then what’s wrong with Marianopolis? I mean the class average there is around 75-85, right? (That’s my observation til now) Still rooms for hopes with that, right? Isn't learning supposed to go beyond grade? try volunteering for open-mindedness, social consciousness…

Anyway, just my 2 cents… back to midterms studying

EDIT: Hmm... funny that i go to the forum every time i have a test...

thanks. i really do wnat to go to marianopolis but im not sure if i can get in... my average for sec 4 was 86 for all and 89 for math/science. do you think i have a shot if i work crazy hard right now, sec 5?

Marianopolis is a great school, great education. It prepares you well for university. Most importantly, you'll be amazed at how many marianopolis students get into Med-P at McGill each year. Don't always think that the easy way into premed is to go to schools such as Vanier, Dawson, Maisonneuve. Life is full of challenges; sometimes you have to take risks to achieve success.

Marianopolis is a great school, great education. It prepares you well for university. Most importantly, you'll be amazed at how many marianopolis students get into Med-P at McGill each year. Don't always think that the easy way into premed is to go to schools such as Vanier, Dawson, Maisonneuve. Life is full of challenges; sometimes you have to take risks to achieve success.

Yes that is why i want to go to Marianopolis. :D but my question was do i have a shot to get in. i slacked off last year so my sec 4 average overall is only around 86 and my math/science average is 89. I am currently in sec 5 and i will try my best to get over 90 this semester. Please answer my question! No one has answered my question... they kept talking about cegeps. :(

If you're a genius go to Marianapolis.. I would suggest you to go to Dawson. I went to Brebeuf and liked my experience, the great quality of education given, etc but it's hard to constantly get better marks than the average for each class...

If you want better odds in entering medecine (not necessarily McGill though), I would suggest Dawson.

I skipped a grade, but I am not a genius. i really do want to go to marianopolos. do you think i have a shot? my grades werent that high last year though...

Yes that is why i want to go to Marianopolis. :D but my question was do i have a shot to get in. i slacked off last year so my sec 4 average overall is only around 86 and my math/science average is 89. I am currently in sec 5 and i will try my best to get over 90 this semester. Please answer my question! No one has answered my question... they kept talking about cegeps. :(

When I applied to Marianopolis, I remember that people who had 85 avg in high school easily got in. Unless the standards have changed, I think you have a very good shot. After all, getting in is not hard. Performing well is.

Good luck ;)

I graduated from Marianopolis.

I have a friend who had an 80% overall and still got in to health science at Marianopolis. Supply and demand me thinks.

I have one thing to point out. Not going to Marianopolis is not the 'end-all-be-all'. Not getting to premed is either. I'm guessing you're 17.. you have lots of time to develop, explore your interests and grow in maturity. I don't know, I don't approve of the whole premed business.. Some of the applicants are young and naive about the med world. It's not exactly glamorous.

To be frank, I don't think Marianopolis students have any advantage than other cegep students (except for the Arts and Science students, they have an additional 0.5 added to their r-score). I personally know 3 people from Dawson who managed to get in premed. If you work hard and are above the class averages, you're okay.

Good luck.

I graduated from Marianopolis.

I have a friend who had an 80% overall and still got in to health science at Marianopolis. Supply and demand me thinks.

I have one thing to point out. Not going to Marianopolis is not the 'end-all-be-all'. Not getting to premed is either. I'm guessing you're 17.. you have lots of time to develop, explore your interests and grow in maturity. I don't know, I don't approve of the whole premed business.. Some of the applicants are young and naive about the med world. It's not exactly glamorous.

To be frank, I don't think Marianopolis students have any advantage than other cegep students (except for the Arts and Science students, they have an additional 0.5 added to their r-score). I personally know 3 people from Dawson who managed to get in premed. If you work hard and are above the class averages, you're okay.

Good luck.

If i fail to get into marianopolis, do you recommend dawson? wont mcgill see that i went to dawson which is famous for arts and think that i went there for easy grades? :( thats what im worried about

When I applied to Marianopolis, I remember that people who had 85 avg in high school easily got in. Unless the standards have changed, I think you have a very good shot. After all, getting in is not hard. Performing well is.

Good luck ;)

thanks :D your the only one who actually answered my question!!!! my counsellor told me an overall average of 85 is required to get in, but since people these days are so smart, i was thinking that the cutoffs may be around 90 because of the limited space in marianopolis. but, YAY i got some hope from youurr response :) thank yous

If i fail to get into marianopolis, do you recommend dawson? wont mcgill see that i went to dawson which is famous for arts and think that i went there for easy grades? :( thats what im worried about

McGill doesn't care where you come from. You could be from the university of Timbuktu or the college of nowhere land and they'll accept you based on your grades and experiences. The admission office is not biased. If you have shown that you have the skills, then they'll be happy to let you in.

Of course. You can't get in medicine if you don't come from Marianopolis.

Archived