Premed 101 Forums

poor MCAT score

Guest drEvil

Guest drEvil

Hey everyone,

If I have a bad MCAT score (lets say mid-20s) and then I take the MCAT again and get a better score, i realize that most schools in Canada will look at the better score. But what about schools like Calgary and Dalhousie which go through a pre-interview file review. Do they take into account that the applicant took the MCAT twice or that he/she did poorly the first time around? Thanks;)

Guest scrubbed

Hello,

Both schools take only the MCAT that you designate to be taken as "your MCAT score." Since many applicants write the MCAT multilple times, I don't think that they would discriminate against you for your two attempts.

From Calgary,

6. What is the policy if the MCAT is written more than once?

We only accept one set of scores and will only use the ones submitted with the application.

and Dalhousie

28. If I have written the MCAT more than once which set of marks will be considered?

The Admissions Committee considers the set of marks that you indicate on your application form.

Best of luck with your second attempt.

Guest SandglassSMD

Hi,

It's a little bit off the topic and might seem stupid but I hope this is ok to ask since it's about MCAT and I wanna make sure. So, your MCAT score will still be valid no matter how long it's been since you took it, correct?

Thanks

Guest foos101

That's not a stupid question as I'm sure others may have the same question. It really depends on the school you're applying to. Many schools only accept MCATs written within the last 5 years, while some schools accept MCATs written ages ago. Its best to check the schools that you are interested in. Keep in mind that now the MCATs are moved to the computer format, you can write the MCAT as many times as you like. However, you can only write the MCAT 3 times per year I believe.

Guest rubberoduck

before the computerized test comes out, you only have 2 chances to write the mcat each year, one in april and one in august, so I believe the policy is that you can only write a maximum of 3 times, after which you have to prove to AAMC that you have applied and been rejected from medschool, and they will let you write the 4th time

Guest drEvil

Wow scrubbed, thx alot for getting that info. I'm gonna study until my last full length practice in Kaplan and see how that goes. Then I'll decide to take the MCat or not. I guess it's more risky in the US where some schools take the average of ur MCATs if u have more than one.

Guest scooter

I recommend the old mcats that are for sale (also on ebay for 10$ i believe). They give you a better indication than Kaplan. Also, choose your test format wisely. If you're better at typing then do the computerized one. Also, practice the way you are going to test. Though these seem like little points, they can add up to a full notch on the mcat... or even more!

Guest rubberoduck

i absolutely recommend against doing the kaplan full length. their sciences sections are way too difficult compared to the real mcat and usually places too much psychological burden on the student, lowering their confidence/increasing their stress on the real mcat.

if you must do the kaplan full length, use it as an opportunity to train yourself to pace, lower anxiety, and gain more confidence. You musn't give too much thought to the actual score (maybe a little to the scaled score, but not the actual %). just know that mcat is a standardized skills test. there really is no way to prepare for it except by exerting your potential. with confidence, you will think more clearly and spend less time doubting yourself.

Guest studentz

The kaplan tests are more difficult than the real ones, that's how they get the "i improved my score by X points" claims after.

The AAMC tests are the gold standard obviously but the MCAT content changed in 2003 I believe so don't do any test that came out before practice test V.

I second the suggestion to use the Kaplan tests to work on pacing (and perhaps mental fortitude).

Archived