Premed 101 Forums

Collaborative Program in Nursing to Medical School

Hi,

I want to apply for medical school next year and I was reading the OMSAS manual earlier today. It seems they only consider credits from university in the calculation for GPA. I'm currently doing a collaborative program in nursing at York/Georgian (BScN). I wonder how would they calculate my first two years of credits, which are taken at Georgian college, but technically they are university level courses~

And I see many members in the forum are nursing students. So how did OMSAS handle your credits if you are from a collaborative program?

Thank you!

Hi,

I want to apply for medical school next year and I was reading the OMSAS manual earlier today. It seems they only consider credits from university in the calculation for GPA. I'm currently doing a collaborative program in nursing at York/Georgian (BScN). I wonder how would they calculate my first two years of credits, which are taken at Georgian college, but technically they are university level courses~

And I see many members in the forum are nursing students. So how did OMSAS handle your credits if you are from a collaborative program?

Only university level courses are considered. At McMaster, you have to have 3 fully years of undergrad study (at a university) at the time of acceptance. You would have to wait until you BScN is complete before you are eligible to apply. You are able to apply once you have a degree and only your marks from university will be used...so in a collaborative program where you do 2 years at a college and 2 years at a university, only the 2 university years will be used to calculate the GPA.

Then the question becomes how do they define full time?

In the very last semester of nursing, students will take only 2 courses. I believe one is a regular class course, the other one is clinical placement which takes up pretty much the whole week. And I see on OMSAS the maximum number of credit a course can receive is 2 (in the case of a full year course)....

God, I'm so confused!

Then the question becomes how do they define full time?

In the very last semester of nursing, students will take only 2 courses. I believe one is a regular class course, the other one is clinical placement which takes up pretty much the whole week. And I see on OMSAS the maximum number of credit a course can receive is 2 (in the case of a full year course)....

God, I'm so confused!

I can understand your confusion! First remember it isn't OMSAS that will ultimately determine if you are full time, it is the schools themselves - so that weighting then won't limit you. If your program considers that load to be full time and equivalent to a standard 2.5 credit term (5 normal courses), then you will most likely be fine but you will have to let the schools know what went on :)

Alright, I emailed the program coordinator at the college site for BScN, asking if the the courses taken for the first two years are at university level, and this is what she replied....

"The BScN is a university program that is delivered on a college campus for the first two years."

So my question remains are the courses taken for first two years at university level? Any further insights?

Oh, I have also e-mailed admission ppl at uwo, and waiting for replies...

btw, I read the FAQ for UWO admission. one of the question was from a 4th year nursing student in Ottawa (from what I've heard, ottawa only has one nursing school, at university of ottawa, and the four year program is also a collaborative program), asking if she can apply from a nursing program in her 4th year...the answer is yes....but I wonder if the person whoever answered the question knows the deal w/ the collaborative nursing program.....

The good news: NOSM addresses the issue w/ collaborative program in their admission manual, stating as long as the person has 1 year of study in a university, the person may apply.

Please understand that I am not exactly a young student (I will be 27 next year!), so I really wanna be in medical school ASAP.. Oh God! I'm becoming paranoid~~~

• 3 years later...
  • 7 years later...
On 10/11/2009 at 4:23 PM, Dream said:

Hi,

Thank you!

Hey Dream, I am also in the collaborative program at Seneca-York and I would like to know if you ended up pursuing medical school?