Premed 101 Forums

does Alberta even care about Master's/PhD's?

I was just looking for insight into something i found somewhat odd.

Out of 188 candidates accepted in 2009, only 5 had a masters degee and there were no PhDs. These numbers are the lowest i've seen for any school.

Can anyone comment on if this is an exception to historical trends at Alberta or if its the usual?

thanks

steve

http://www.med.ualberta.ca/Education/UME/admissions/dofm_stats.cfm

I think this is cause they don't give you any benefit of the master's or phd unless you complete it by June 15 of the year in which you were to begin med school. So if you don't complete it by this date they would lump you into the normal undergrad category. Also they don't require you to complete the degree prior to matriculating, so maybe some students were just wrapping up their degrees when they started med school or chose not to complete their degrees after they got in.

You get an extra point on your application if you have completed either of these degrees by June 15th. If you complete it earlier, you can notify admissions and the point will be added to your application. Knowing now that admittance can depend on fractions of a point, one point goes a long way!!!

I don't think that the admissions statistics reflect that the school 'doesn't care' about graduate degree holders, but it is more likely that those who have completed degrees may not have all the other undergrad pre-requisites that UofA requires. Thus, this may limit the number of grad applicants (and consequently Masters/PhDs) admitted.

I think this is cause they don't give you any benefit of the master's or phd unless you complete it by June 15 of the year in which you were to begin med school. So if you don't complete it by this date they would lump you into the normal undergrad category. Also they don't require you to complete the degree prior to matriculating, so maybe some students were just wrapping up their degrees when they started med school or chose not to complete their degrees after they got in.

I thought most schools required you to finish the masters/phd in order to get credit - which would make Alberta the same in that respect.

Interesting that they do not require you to finish the degree - i thought this was a big no-no - leaving a masters program without finishing for meds. Are you sure about this?

thanks though. I have a master's and when i saw this, it sure didnt help me make up my mind over applying. I will need to take the full year english to meet the requirements just to apply so i dont want to apply on just a whim.

sv3

You get an extra point on your application if you have completed either of these degrees by June 15th. If you complete it earlier, you can notify admissions and the point will be added to your application. Knowing now that admittance can depend on fractions of a point, one point goes a long way!!!

I don't think that the admissions statistics reflect that the school 'doesn't care' about graduate degree holders, but it is more likely that those who have completed degrees may not have all the other undergrad pre-requisites that UofA requires. Thus, this may limit the number of grad applicants (and consequently Masters/PhDs) admitted.

yeah the extra point is just for those with a thesis as well. I was a course based masters and get nothing....not cool!

you'd think if you had more time in school you'd have more time to complete the pre reqs.......i have all but english. But that could very well be true.

Their stats are just very different from other schools and i didnt realize this before. Making me second guess applying.....

thanks

It sounds like your master's will give you little benefit for U of A admissions so I would decide to apply or not based on whether you think your GPA, MCAT and ECs are competitive and whether you are IP or OOP. You wouldn't want to have to a take a full year English just for one school if you don't think you have a realistic shot.

It sounds like your master's will give you little benefit for U of A admissions so I would decide to apply or not based on whether you think your GPA, MCAT and ECs are competitive and whether you are IP or OOP. You wouldn't want to have to a take a full year English just for one school if you don't think you have a realistic shot.

IP, pretty low gpa, good MCAT, good ECs. So it'll be a tough call. The English certainly ups the ante although im looking at it as a half year. I'd do half by Feb, and if i didnt get an interview, bail on the second half. Still, you are right, i gotto think hard about this one.

thanks

Archived