Premed 101 Forums

accused of plagiarism

anon1234

if you are accused of plagiarism by a professor, and the matter goes to the department head, and they do find you guilty, does that go on your record somewhere?

note that the matter was not sent to the faculty and the dean since it was a first offence, one that was debatable because it was just 3-4 lines that had been paraphrased but the department is very strict and said they will not even accept paraphrasing if it's too similar. i think they will most likely give a zero for the mark of the report or just give a warning.

do universities keep separate files on you if you have ever been accused of plagiarism? even if it was a minor offense? will med schools have access to such info?

Most universities make mention on the transcript for unusual or unethical findings. A true finding of plagiarism often results in expulsion - so if that is not the case, then you might be fine. But there might be a note at the bottom of the transcript - most universities do that. If you do get interviews, you might get flagged for that and have to defend yourself. Some schools, like UofO, UWO and Queen's will reject people based on these findings even if you make the cutoffs.

I don't really know but it sounds to me like they decided to punish you with a zero is sufficient. From what you say it appears you have not been found or declared guilty of anything, rather they took a shot across the bow and left it at that. Get a copy of the transcript which will tell the 'official' story, if there is any story to tell.

I very much doubt this will go anywhere except in your mind. There is no way med schol will have access to such info if not included in your transcript - unless you volunteer this information under 'full disclosure'. I think a zoero mark is full disclosure and speaks for itself. Mind you, it coulod mean anything, incl not writing the exam. So, all in all, I would tend to relax, move on and one day, see the transcript.

I don't know about Canadian schools, but be aware that US schools ask you whether or not you have ever been accused of academic dishonesty. Some schools then have you sign a paper that allows them to access your student records. Unfortunately it's a pretty big disadvantage for schools south of the border.

if you are accused of plagiarism by a professor, and the matter goes to the department head, and they do find you guilty, does that go on your record somewhere?

note that the matter was not sent to the faculty and the dean since it was a first offence, one that was debatable because it was just 3-4 lines that had been paraphrased but the department is very strict and said they will not even accept paraphrasing if it's too similar. i think they will most likely give a zero for the mark of the report or just give a warning.

do universities keep separate files on you if you have ever been accused of plagiarism? even if it was a minor offense? will med schools have access to such info?

You are probably right - despite the dire potential consequences you likely will just get a warning and probably a reduction on the assignment your first time. Generally it has to move up the food chain to the full administration to get put on transcripts etc.

no? i thought it was about when a high school kid came into the classroom in after hours(because he was part of the recycling program) with his friend and changed answers to his test? and the teacher caught him red handed

Ouch :) I suppose using some else answers is just a part of the entire "reduce, reuse, recycle" policy.

I was accused of plagiarism last year. I did plagiarize (realized I made a mistake in calculations at the last minute, so copied my friend's who also had made a calculation error), but I admitted to it, so they only gave me a zero on that assignment. I haven't noticed anything on my transcript so I don't think it's officially on record.

It definitely depends on your prof, too. I remember taking this econ class in 2nd year, and the prof talked about plagiarism and how much he hates it for like an hour straight....graphically describing all the crap that would happen if you dared to plagiarize in his class. And then 3 people (out of like 18 who took the class) were dumb enough to do it, and 1 was expelled, whereas 2 were put on probation. Natural selection?:confused:

I HATED the snooty girl who ended up getting expelled, so I was pretty pleased.:P

I was accused of plagiarism last year. I did plagiarize (realized I made a mistake in calculations at the last minute, so copied my friend's who also had made a calculation error), but I admitted to it, so they only gave me a zero on that assignment. I haven't noticed anything on my transcript so I don't think it's officially on record.

I was accused of something similar. My friend and I worked on an assignment together and we did a question wrong and my prof didn't know how we got the answer we did, assumed it was a calculator error and that one of us had just copied the other, and brought us both in to see him. When I could show the logic and process to get the answer we had gotten, the accusations were dropped. It was pretty stressful though.

AndreaM...that is plagiarism...most university assignments (especially math and physics courses) do not allow working on assignments together. In general, when TAs mark, they compare wrong answers or unusual methods to get the right answer...and matching answers are put on watch for 'cheating'. What you did would equate to cheating for most of the advance math and physics courses at UBC.

AndreaM...that is plagiarism...most university assignments (especially math and physics courses) do not allow working on assignments together. In general, when TAs mark, they compare wrong answers or unusual methods to get the right answer...and matching answers are put on watch for 'cheating'. What you did would equate to cheating for most of the advance math and physics courses at UBC.

Which is one of the reasons sometimes people complain that undergraduate education has really lost a sense of purpose. I mean, if you are taking advanced courses - should you really be blocked from working with your peers to try to answer challenging questions? It's a pretty stupid policy in my opinion and I think it's far more important to promote collaboration than to worry about someone cheating on the assignment. But that's just me...

I don't see how working with your peers to figure out a question is cheating. Copying directly, yes, I agree with you.

So if you have a prof or ta help you work through a problem, that is not cheating, but having a friend help you work through a problem in the exact same way is cheating? Why is that? That doesn't even make sense.

I don't see how working with your peers to figure out a question is cheating. Copying directly, yes, I agree with you.

So if you have a prof or ta help you work through a problem, that is not cheating, but having a friend help you work through a problem in the exact same way is cheating? Why is that? That doesn't even make sense.

It's the same at SMU & MUN: collaboration is fine (actually, some profs don't care if they are identical, but most do), but your work needs to be unique--it needs to show that it is your work and not someone else's. This is because many people who "work" in groups tend to just copy whoever has the right answer for each question.

So since I was curious about sfinch's comment I thought I would look it up and here is what one of UBC's upper division math courses had to say:

Working together and academic integrity

* We have no objection in principle to collaboration on the homework, provided that it is done in a way that maximizes the benefit of the homework to all people involved.

* However, if one person simply tells another how to do a problem then it completely defeats the purpose of having homework problems.

* It is our opinion that you get maximum benefit from a homework problem if you work hard on it alone before combining your ideas with those of someone else.

* The work that you turn in with your name on it should represent your own solutions, written in your own words, regardless of whether you arrived at some of those solutions in collaboration with others.

* You may not simply copy someone else's homework and turn it in as your own - this will be treated as a violation of UBC's Academic Integrity Code.

* Similarly, copying solutions that you might find on the web or from some other source is a similar violation.

* We take academic integrity very seriously and will follow university procedures in all cases of suspected cheating. This may result in expulsion from the University.

http://www.math.ubc.ca/~loew/m340/m340hw01.pdf (on the second page)

So based on that what my friend and did was not in fact cheating, because there was no copying, just a misunderstanding of how the principles of the particular question worked.

So since I was curious about sfinch's comment I thought I would look it up and here is what one of UBC's upper division math courses had to say:

http://www.math.ubc.ca/~loew/m340/m340hw01.pdf (on the second page)

So based on that what my friend and did was not in fact cheating, because there was no copying, just a misunderstanding of how the principles of the particular question worked.

That makes so much more sense. It wouldn't make sense to block people from learning together. The policy as stated there is fair.

Archived