Premed 101 Forums

Successful Second-time applicants

From the information I've compiled, it seems there's a stigma to second-time applicants at American school. Furthermore, I don't think I have yet seen a successful second time Canadian applicant to an American Medical School.

Has anybody in this forum been rejected at an American school, and then gotten accepted the following year?

I want to actually see a person who's done this, rather than hearing 'I heard..so and so' stories.

I got accepted by a school that was aware I was a second-time applicant. They knew I applied to Canadian schools last year, didn't get in and was now trying American schools. This was SUNY Upstate. I think there is a stigma but, in my experience, it didn't seem to play that great of a role. Maybe it's worse at specific schools that have already rejected you once before and you are now re-applying to?

Guest viscous
OP is referring to second time applicants at American schools. I.e. people who have submitted AMCAS more than once... personally I don't know anyone who's done it successfully. Just make sure you put your best foot forward the first time.

This is a depressing update for people like me. Are you talking about pre-interview rejection or post-interview?

I think the problem with re-applying to the same US schools (either pre or post interview rejection) is that the schools EXPECT you to have significantly improved your application. ie. new grades, new MCAT score, significant EC's.

If you re-apply with essentially the same application, again either pre or post interview rejection, it's definitely an uphill battle.

However, I'm not entirely sure on re-applying but to schools you didn't add the first time around.

As to your original question trymeover, I personally know someone who applied to Wayne State twice, but they improved their MCAT performance by 4 points (from 31 to 35), was accepted, but attended a Canadian school in the end.

I believe he also had 3 more US interviews where he was rejected from the year before.

OP is referring to second time applicants at American schools. I.e. people who have submitted AMCAS more than once... personally I don't know anyone who's done it successfully. Just make sure you put your best foot forward the first time.

Yeah, I meant second time AMCAS applicants. I say this because I heard a few american medschool applicants say that once a school rejects you, you're basically rejected from there forever.

As to your original question trymeover, I personally know someone who applied to Wayne State twice, but they improved their MCAT performance by 4 points (from 31 to 35), was accepted, but attended a Canadian school in the end.

I believe he also had 3 more US interviews where he was rejected from the year before.

Wow!... That's pretty ridiculous. But was there a significant gap between his first and second applications? And did he also improve stuff other than his MCAT?

I'm guessing this person applied in the summer before 4th year, got rejected, and then applied after a masters with more research and a better MCAT score--two things the USmeds love.

I really don't know what he did to strengthen his application, I only know of his mcat jump.

He applied the first time in the beginning of 4th year, and then re-applied in his victory lap year. Don't forget that many of the lower and mid-tier schools aren't as big on research, so to re-apply to those schools without significant research wouldn't be as detrimental.

Yeah, I meant second time AMCAS applicants. I say this because I heard a few american medschool applicants say that once a school rejects you, you're basically rejected from there forever.

From what I've heard, it's still going to be an issue at schools you didn't apply to the first time. First off you're going to have to explain why you didn't apply there the first time...was it because you didn't apply broadly enough? That makes you seem immature. And even if they don't care about that, they're still going to wonder what caused you to be rejected the first time round at all those other schools, and if you've taken any steps to rectify those issues.

Another issue is the cycle really doesn't end until the summer before matriculation. So unless you realize before the new year that this cycle isn't going to work out, you might not have time to improve your app before June of the next cycle.

You should definitely take a look at the re-applicant forum on SDN....there's lots of successful re-apps there

From what I've heard, it's still going to be an issue at schools you didn't apply to the first time. First off you're going to have to explain why you didn't apply there the first time...was it because you didn't apply broadly enough? That makes you seem immature. And even if they don't care about that, they're still going to wonder what caused you to be rejected the first time round at all those other schools, and if you've taken any steps to rectify those issues.

I've heard that as well. Unfortunately it looks like reapplying to the same school is bad and applying to new schools is bad too, unless you have significantly improved. Quite different from Canada, where the spots are so limited that excellent candidates are expected to fall through the cracks and reapply.

I was a second time applicant that was successful.

I first applied two years ago with average stats (3.70 GPA, 30 MCAT) and managed to get 5 interviews (Darthmouth, Boston U, Vermont, GW, and Meharry). Needless to say, I ended up getting waitlisted by every school. It royally sucked when none of the schools accepted me at the end of that cycle.

Last year, I rewrote the MCAT very late (mid-September) and managed to improve my MCAT to 33R and my GPA didn't change. I sent in my secondaries very late (i.e. mid to late October). I got three interviews (Wayne State, EVMS, and GW). I was accepted to Wayne State and EVMS, while GW waitlisted me once again.

I don't know if my being a second time applicant affected my chances. Only one of the schools that interviewed me the previous year (GW) bothered to interview me again. But my applying really late could have easily played a factor in that. And I did apply to both EVMS and Wayne State the previous year as well and they both accepted me....

I think the point is that the second time around the schools are looking for considerable improvement in your application (i.e. 30-->33 MCAT improvement).

Dayne, shouldn't you be studying the crimasteric reflex? You know it's going to be on the test!

You actually have to elicit the cremasteric reflex on Dr. Bagchi during the practical.

Archived