Premed 101 Forums

Diversity of Experience Section!!

I am super confused about this. I have a lot to say, but am unsure how to work it in. Using sentences (and listing my referee as a verifier for everything to save space :P), I still am only able to talk about 4 separate experiences (I am talking about my roles in each area). How are you all dealing with this section? Lists? Paragraphs? Argh.

I wrote this section exactly like I wrote all the other sections. I think having 4 things is reasonable, considering for the other questions you're supposed to list 3 (maximum) things and they give you the same word limit. I also have tons more I could say, not only in the diversity section but in the entire app. The hard thing is only selecting the most important things to talk about.

Did you tie in or transition between the different experiences? Wouldn't writing it essay style be making it into huge slew of unrelated sentences...since you don't really have space to make the transition or tie in different activities.

I just wrote something along the lines of "I speak 48 languages and have traveled to 5000 countries. In addition to my academic pursuits, I have also dabbled in sports in my free time, including 25 Ironmans and skeleton at the 2008 Winter Olympics. I also love animals and have raised and hand-fed 350 orphaned African elephants in my backyard. Around Christmas time, I enjoy knitting 50000 scarves which I then send on a plane to disadvantaged South American children."

I used numbers and listed about 9 or 10.

1. 2 years volunteer experience with STARS (contact S. Andre 33303333). 2. Served on the board of excellence as an elected official. Made decisions affecting over 2000 people (contact obama 40344444444). 3. Published as a first author in Science and as a contributor in Nature (Dr. Stuart 78024499933). 4. Performed my own circumcision... etc

As you can see, based on how much diversity you have, or wish to include. YOu may tailor your response in many different styles.

The number system worked for me I guess - but that is because I just had lots of different things where no ONe thing was way better than the next. But they were all good and contributed to my diversity of experience.

1. 2 years volunteer experience with STARS (contact S. Andre 33303333). 2. Served on the board of excellence as an elected official. Made decisions affecting over 2000 people (contact obama 40344444444). 3. Published as a first author in Science and as a contributor in Nature (Dr. Stuart 78024499933). 4. Performed my own circumcision... etc

My CV is way cooler. LOSER.:cool:

I just wrote something along the lines of "I speak 48 languages and have traveled to 5000 countries. In addition to my academic pursuits, I have also dabbled in sports in my free time, including 25 Ironmans and skeleton at the 2008 Winter Olympics. I also love animals and have raised and hand-fed 350 orphaned African elephants in my backyard. Around Christmas time, I enjoy knitting 50000 scarves which I then send on a plane to disadvantaged South American children."

I love this. Especially since South American children probably don't need scarves. Lol.

As you can see, based on how much diversity you have, or wish to include. YOu may tailor your response in many different styles.

The number system worked for me I guess - but that is because I just had lots of different things where no ONe thing was way better than the next. But they were all good and contributed to my diversity of experience.

many thanks for this post - perhaps presentation of info is less important and we can have faith that the adcoms will look into it for content more than anything.......

now im thinking perhaps my other sections should have been done like this.....damn Alberta and their blank canvas!

I'm also having some trouble with this section. I have decided to choose 4 different things and explain what I have gained from them. I'm not sure if this is better than picking more things like 7 or 8, and briefly talking about responsibilities and such. What do you guys think?

I'm also having some trouble with this section. I have decided to choose 4 different things and explain what I have gained from them. I'm not sure if this is better than picking more things like 7 or 8, and briefly talking about responsibilities and such. What do you guys think?

I personally think picking 7-8 and describing the responsibilities is more important.

I also chose 4 major activities from a list of many. I personally feel quality versus quantity is the best approach and to accurately show quality, I wanted to provide as much detail as possible. And, since it is the Diversity of "experience" section, I wanted to emphasize the experience.

Also, providing verifiers for many activities would eat up at the character count. I made sure to choose 4 activities that were very different to demonstrate my diversity. I did not include anything related to work, volunteering or school (even though it says you can - I felt I covered it enough in the other questions). But, that's just how I approached this section, I have no clue how they mark it...

i talked about 4 areas in 4 small paragraphs.

if i had talked about 8 areas, it would feel like a list and i opted not to go that route for this section. Only for the employment section did i use list format for responsibilities.

since it asks for diversity, i talked about contrasting experiences, not just a list of plain old experiences - then again, that could be what they want and i could be dead wrong.

my goal was to surprise them at each turn - as in you would not expect a person who did A to have also done B and then C and D.

i talked about 4 areas in 4 small paragraphs.

if i had talked about 8 areas, it would feel like a list and i opted not to go that route for this section. Only for the employment section did i use list format for responsibilities.

since it asks for diversity, i talked about contrasting experiences, not just a list of plain old experiences - then again, that could be what they want and i could be dead wrong.

my goal was to surprise them at each turn - as in you would not expect a person who did A to have also done B and then C and D.

That's a really cool idea! Nice! I wish I thought of using mini-paragraphs. I used a numbering system (1-4) so that they knew which area belongs to what verifier. I didn't have numbers at first, but it all started to blend in together and I needed some way of seperating them...

That's a really cool idea! Nice! I wish I thought of using mini-paragraphs. I used a numbering system (1-4) so that they knew which area belongs to what verifier. I didn't have numbers at first, but it all started to blend in together and I needed some way of seperating them...
I used a numbers system and I think it turned out ok. I know a few people last year who used numbers and were accepted.

for me it depended on the section, sometimes i used #s, sometimes not

for this section, i honestly just used a space between paragraphs to seperate them. sure, in the end, the 4 spaces cost me 8 characters but i like the way it looks way more. And really....8 characters is a word.

Archived