Premed 101 Forums

#of Applicants

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not sure what last year was

but this year NOSM got 1757 apps.... just a little info for anyone that's interested.

I was intrigued after seeing UofT's numbers.

It's interesting to see such a decrease from when NOSM first started. The roughly 16% change in applicants might genuinely come from individuals who rightly have self-selected not to apply because of the pro-North, pro-rural stance. Maybe, though, there are some applicants from rural-OOPs who choose not to apply because of the relatively small class sizes and who really should be applying.

I'm from Northern Ontario and fully support NOSM (I think it's as much a medical institution as a cultural one) but seriously wonder if there will always be enough of a population to cater almost exclusively to N-ON or whether NOSM will eventually become more of a nationally-recognized school for rural medicine. Last year's 7% non-N-ON (ha ...) should grow, in my opinion.

I think you make a good point....

I have heard, but don't have an actual source that McMaster used to have a more regional quota however, as the area gained a sufficient amount of physicians they got rid of whatever they were doing to pick more students from the local area.

Whether that's true or not, I'm sure the government as well as NOSM will be monitoring the number of doctors in the North. If it does start to get to a level that is sufficient for the area I imagine they'll revisit the specifics of their mandate. They'll have one of the most specialized curricula to address rural health and will be able to start taking more students from other rural areas in Ontario and the rest of Canada.

I imagine it'll be a while before they have a number of doctors practicing in the North that they feel is sufficient.

• 1 month later...

Is this increase a permanent increase or is it temporary increase for the 2010 application year ? not sure why it would be just temporary but I vaguely recall either NOSM or another med school had a temporary increase of 2 seats due to some extra funding or space.

This is of course good news, especially for those who may have been relegated to the waiting list in the past, this puts people closer to acceptance !

Beef

Archived