Premed 101 Forums

Tell me about yourself

I'm trying to find ways to really formulate a great response to this question. It's usually the first question and I want to leave a good first impression. That being said, I'm not someone who likes to brag or really drone on for a few minutes talking about what I've done to get there. How did you guys approach this question? More specifically:

1) If the interviewer already has a lot of information about you, how much detail did you go into?

2) How long did you spend answering this one question? 30 seconds? 1 minute? 2? more?

3) Did you include things like family? How many extracurriculars do you want to bring up here as opposed to bringing them up later? Did you spend any time discussing why you want to be a doctor when that will inevitably be a question later on?

I'm just having trouble and I think my answer sucked last year. In a nutshell, it was:

My name is blah blah, I was born in blah, raised in blah, bit about my parents, bit about loving medical science, bit about volunteering, bit about travel, bit about wanting to be a doctor. Really cliche and long-winded.

Any advice would be great!

From a person who has no experience at the interview stage, I would discuss my growth and development these last couple of years showing my direction and heading, integrating relevant experiences from my activities (work, ECs, internship and volunteering) and studies - and I would make the point that I am a work in progress. I would elaborate for several minutes and go with the flow.

I would do the same regardless of what you think they know about you. They may only have skimmed your material in some cases, forgot something important to you, or like some schools not read anything at all.

I heard the rule of thumb was 2 minutes. That's what I used and it worked for me.

I didn't DIRECTLY talk about why I wanted to be doctor, but it is hard to really talk about yourself for very long without having some hints put in there.

Family was important to me, so a what briefly my life into context with that.

I'm trying to find ways to really formulate a great response to this question. It's usually the first question and I want to leave a good first impression. That being said, I'm not someone who likes to brag or really drone on for a few minutes talking about what I've done to get there. How did you guys approach this question? More specifically:

1) If the interviewer already has a lot of information about you, how much detail did you go into?

2) How long did you spend answering this one question? 30 seconds? 1 minute? 2? more?

3) Did you include things like family? How many extracurriculars do you want to bring up here as opposed to bringing them up later? Did you spend any time discussing why you want to be a doctor when that will inevitably be a question later on?

I'm just having trouble and I think my answer sucked last year. In a nutshell, it was:

My name is blah blah, I was born in blah, raised in blah, bit about my parents, bit about loving medical science, bit about volunteering, bit about travel, bit about wanting to be a doctor. Really cliche and long-winded.

Any advice would be great!

This question is honestly one of the best ones you can hope for in an interview. You should think about it in case you're lucky enough to get it. Higlight all of the things you want to talk about for your interview, you can be sure they'll follow up on what you say.

That's a good point - it is great when they give you control of the conversation. Better chance of putting on a good presentation!

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't like my answer to this last year... however the question was compounded with 2 other fairly big questions....

I was put on the spot to compile several answers, that I could have gone on for about 3 or 4 minutes for each, into a single answer... and I droned on too long and still missed some key areas I probably should have brought up....

If I get to the interview stage this year and come across this question again... I think I'm going to step away from being overly chronological with it and try to come up with a few themes and elaborate on each of them quickly, maybe tailoring the themes to the school...

Last year, I sounded too much like a bibliography without focus.

• 2 weeks later...

I think your story has to show them that your love for medecine goes a long way back, that it's not something you decided all of a sudden, and that many of the things you did where because you love it so much, like volunteer in a hospital for exemple.

Also, show them, that while you're passionnate about medecine, it's not the only thing you're passionate about in your life. Like for exemple, that you play music, sports,etc etc.

Hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't talk about medicine at all. I figured they knew that I was interested in it, or I wouldn't be there.

I gave a brief introduction like "Hi, my name is Shadowplay, and I'm a #th year student in <program.>"

Then just talked briefly about the last few years - where I'd lived, why I chose that, why I chose this school, what I do for fun, etc.

It must have worked. But I think all they really want is to see if you are personable enough to talk about yourself, without coming off as arrogant, or completely antisocial.

Archived