Premed 101 Forums

Importance of undergrad institute

Quester

Hey guys,

I have a quick question to those of you who've applied in past/this cycle(s) and have gotten at least the interviews. Have any of the interviewers commented on the institution you've attended? i.e. maybe you went to a less internationally-known university, yet, you still received interviews? I'm just trying to see if the institution matters at all for US med schools.

Hey guys,

I have a quick question to those of you who've applied in past/this cycle(s) and have gotten at least the interviews. Have any of the interviewers commented on the institution you've attended? i.e. maybe you went to a less internationally-known university, yet, you still received interviews? I'm just trying to see if the institution matters at all for US med schools.

For the most part, interviewers have no preference for the institution you attended. Like moo said, the MCAT neutralizes this.

This can be argued against, but I'm sure that some schools take undergraduate institution into consideration when reviewing applications. If all other things equal (including grades, MCAT score, ECs, LORs), a school might prefer a student from a higher-ranked institution.

For most of my interviews, there were a wide range of students from a wide range of backgrounds. When I interviewed at Boston U, however, I did not find a single person from a small college (in a crowd of 30 or so people)...most people were from larger universities (Duke, Vandy, John Hopkins, McGill, UT, etc.)... I'm not sure if this was by fluke or because they take undergrad into consideration...but this was simply my observation!

Hey guys,

i met someone who interviewed in the US and did her undergrad at university of PEI - guaranteed to be not known lol.

i think where institution pays a role is looking at GPA...for instance, GPA of 3.6 from MIT may be considered as good as 3.9 from a smaller/"easier" school.

I'm not sure if this matters, but at a couple of my interviews the interviewers seemed excited and interested that I was from Mac. Maybe because they don't interview many Mac students? Actually during one of the interviews the dean asked who the student from Mac was because he had been there before and was impressed, so we had a discussion :P Nothing important, but fun I guess.

I'm not sure if this matters, but at a couple of my interviews the interviewers seemed excited and interested that I was from Mac. Maybe because they don't interview many Mac students? Actually during one of the interviews the dean asked who the student from Mac was because he had been there before and was impressed, so we had a discussion :P Nothing important, but fun I guess.

Really? Was this Cornell?

Thanks for your replies guys. I'm actually from Mac but I've been getting the impression that this school isn't as well-known as I had thought before. I guess I shouldn't worry too much about it since the institution plays a minor role. It' just that some of those top tier schools in the US seem to show interest of your undergrad.:rolleyes:

Archived