Premed 101 Forums

3.5...?

People have posted a GPA of 3.5 on this forum and asked if it's good enough for american medschools. And usually I see somebody reply that they've got a good shot with a 3.5 GPA and 35Qish MCAT in the states.

So I tried to find all the stats of the people accepted last year and this year on this forum. But out of the people I could find stats for, I don't think a single person last year or this year from this forum has been accepted with a 3.5 GPA to the states.. unless they were applying after a masters maybe.

So why do people keep saying 3.5 is 'good enough', or you have a 'good shot'?

Also, am I correct in my thinking that most US medschools will probably only accept canadian applicants with a GPA lower than like 3.7 if it's from one of the bigger/well known schools in Canada? (UT, McGill, UWO; NOT UGuelph, Uwindsor, brock..etc)?

Also, am I correct in my thinking that most US medschools will only accept canadian applicants with a GPA lower than like 3.7 if it's from one of the bigger/well known schools in Canada? (UT, McGill, UWO; NOT UGuelph, Uwindsor, brock..etc)?

I am not sure about the stuff before but I am sort of baffled by this statement. Only accept with a lower than 3.7 gpa? I have not heard this before. Is this true? Because if it were, than what about the applicants with high GPAs but not-so-great MCATs? Because they would not pass the MCAT cutoffs here and would be looked at less-favorably in US. That does not sound so good.

I am not sure about the stuff before but I am sort of baffled by this statement. Only accept with a lower than 3.7 gpa? I have not heard this before. Is this true? Because if it were, than what about the applicants with high GPAs but not-so-great MCATs? Because they would not pass the MCAT cutoffs here and would be looked at less-favorably in US. That does not sound so good.

you're baffled cause you didn't quite understand what he was trying to say dear.

The most important thing to remember with US applications is that the process is pretty unpredictable. It's not like Ontario applications where if you have a certain MCAT/GPA then you are guaranteed interviews.... There have been applicants to the US who had great MCATs and GPAs and who were unsuccessful. There have also been applicants with lowers scores who did really well. Bottom line is that US schools look at ECs and life experiences as a huge factor and this could swing an application either way. I think that's why people say that those with 3.5 GPAs "have a shot," because the rest of the application can really make up for a low GPA so it's not a guaranteed rejection. Though it's probably more important to choose schools wisely and write killer essays if your GPA is low.

If I had a 3.5 GPA and a strong MCAT, I would definitely apply to US schools. You just never know.

ETA: I may be wrong but I believe there was one or two people last cycle who had GPAs in the 3.5-3.6 range who received interview invitations. Also, there aren't as many applicants who have GPAs lower than 3.6 or 3.7 with really high MCAT scores so that might also explain why you are having a hard time finding people who are successful with those scores. Maybe?

I should've added 'probably' before 'only'. I don't know my facts, but neither did I want to make a passive statement, because usually it doesn't catch people's attention and this leads to them just ignoring it.

There are no strict cut-offs at most US schools, or if there are they are usually quite low. US schools generally look at your application more holistically. This is probably why a 3.5 GPA is considered not to be the death knell for med school in the US.

There are no strict cut-offs at most US schools, or if there are they are usually quite low. US schools generally look at your application more holistically. This is probably why a 3.5 GPA is considered not to be the death knell for med school in the US.

Wow, I always thought US schools--in the case of ECs--liked generic pre-med ECs (such as science research, hospital/clinic volunteering, shadowing, executive of sciency clubs...etc, as opposed to ECs like intramural sports, dancing, volunteering at an animal shelter..etc).

When you say they take an holistic approach, do they really care about how for example dancing or interest in spirituality impacted/changed you as a person?

Wow, I always thought US schools--in the case of ECs--liked generic pre-med ECs (such as science research, hospital/clinic volunteering, shadowing, executive of sciency clubs...etc, as opposed to ECs like intramural sports, dancing, volunteering at an animal shelter..etc).

When you say they take an holistic approach, do they really care about how for example dancing or interest in spirituality impacted/changed you as a person?

Well I don't know about spirituality, but at all of my interviews they've asked me about my unique, non-medically related ECs more than the usual volunteering/shadowing. So yes, they do want you to be more than a "generic" pre-med.

US schools care about everything. Yes this includes medical as well as non-medical volunteering/working/etc.

As an example, I used to work at a major psych hospital as a care aid (to pay my way through undergrad). I had no time to volunteer (aside from the usual stuff) but way back when UBC did not consider the fact that I had to work 24 hours a week to pay my way through undergrad, pay rent, etc. All this AND I was taking 6-7 courses a semester (due to my honours physics/math degree plus med prereqs). They gave me a very low non-academic score. Well, I'm sorry but I'm not like a lot of lucky premeds who can afford to have daddy pay everything for them so they can spend their time doing all these other EC's. US schools however, were very impressed with the fact that I was able to work hard to pay my way through school and achieve a high GPA/MCAT. This is what I mean holistic. Whereas I did not meet UBC's non-academic cut-off (because what I did was "paid" and not considered experience in their eyes), US schools loved the fact that I had extensive experience in a hospital (albeit psychiatric) setting, all the while understanding the need to work throughout undergrad to make ends meet.

My cGPA is 3.31 in the US and I have an interview invite and I was complete for secondaries kinda LATE (end of Sept). Haven't had the greatest of luck with other schools, but still have a few left to hear from. If its possible with a 3.3 it should definitely be possible with a 3.5. Just know how to sell yourself well.

My cGPA is 3.31 in the US and I have an interview invite and I was complete for secondaries kinda LATE (end of Sept). Haven't had the greatest of luck with other schools, but still have a few left to hear from. If its possible with a 3.3 it should definitely be possible with a 3.5. Just know how to sell yourself well.

But haven't you done a second degree or a masters or somethin'?

The extra years help a lot in the CV, interviewing, overall maturity..etc. (This is if you have done extra years).

My question was was more geared towards 4th year applicants (applying at the start of 4th year) with 3.5 GPAs to US medschools.

If you do really well on the MCAT, you will most likely get interviews. A 3.5 GPA and a high MCAT definitely gives you a shot in the states, so kill the MCAT and apply broadly. In the meantime, you could take more undergrad courses and give Canada another shot(at schools that look at last/best 2 yrs) and keep up EC's.

Best of luck

But haven't you done a second degree or a masters or somethin'?

The extra years help a lot in the CV, interviewing, overall maturity..etc. (This is if you have done extra years).

My question was was more geared towards 4th year applicants (applying at the start of 4th year) with 3.5 GPAs to US medschools.

No I haven't. BSc. 2006 and done cont'd ed college level (post-graduate certificate program) only starting in May '09 which hasn't and won't count for GPA.

Your problem is simple. You assumed that the people who post on the US forums are an accurate sample of the population when in fact they are not. Most people who are on these forums and apply ultimately get in. Do you think that is true of the entire applicant pool who applies to the US? not even close.

Hm, that's kind true. But what else can I use as a scale or measure to see what kind of numbers and activities a canadian applicant needs for US medschools? This is really all I got..

I've been trying to get my hands on that darn MSAR, but I haven't gotten a chance. I think the last (and only time) I looked at it, it had the average GPA of international applicants written? I'm not sure though.

Hm, that's kind true. But what else can I use as a scale or measure to see what kind of numbers and activities a canadian applicant needs for US medschools? This is really all I got..

I've been trying to get my hands on that darn MSAR, but I haven't gotten a chance. I think the last (and only time) I looked at it, it had the average GPA of international applicants written? I'm not sure though.

There is a spreadsheet on SDN that summarizes the MSAR in an excel file. It has been linked on this forum previously.

It gives the average (or median?) GPA for all matriculants and does not differentiate between in-states, internationals etc.

There is a spreadsheet on SDN that summarizes the MSAR in an excel file. It has been linked on this forum previously.

It gives the average (or median?) GPA for all matriculants and does not differentiate between in-states, internationals etc.

I don't go on SDN really, been there a few times, but I did see this really popular excel sheet they sticked called LizzyM scoresheet or something like that--is that what you're referring to?

Anyhow, I think there's probably a significant difference between in-state, out-of-state and international matriculants, so it wouldnt be super useful to get a complete GPA average or median.

I don't go on SDN really, been there a few times, but I did see this really popular excel sheet they sticked called LizzyM scoresheet or something like that--is that what you're referring to?

Anyhow, I think there's probably a significant difference between in-state, out-of-state and international matriculants, so it wouldnt be super useful to get a complete GPA average or median.

It's here

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=617832&page=2

Post #67

This is probably true for certain schools and not others. If we apply to state schools that only accept a few Canadians a year, then yeah you'd probably need something extra (either better stats, or stand-out ECs). Some private schools seem to treat Canadians as out-of-state applicants and so the published numbers would be helpful.

That was pretty cool to check out, thanks musicaldna.

But looking at that sheet, I realized how there's not as many international applicants as I thought matriculating into US schools.. But then again, Canadians are out-of-state for a few schools and so the international accepted for a few schools I look at might not be an accurate representation to Canadians accepted.

That was pretty cool to check out, thanks musicaldna.

But looking at that sheet, I realized how there's not as many international applicants as I thought matriculating into US schools.. But then again, Canadians are out-of-state for a few schools and so the international accepted for a few schools I look at might not be an accurate representation to Canadians accepted.

But you also have to think about how many Canadians could matriculate in the US but choose to go to school in Canada in the end.

But you also have to think about how many Canadians could matriculate in the US but choose to go to school in Canada in the end.

Oh wow, another really good point! Haha, I didn't even think about that. There were probably Canadians who got acceptances but didn't matriculate, so there's less international matriculants..

But if a Canadian deferred their acceptance, wouldn't they give it to another Canadian or international applicant on the waitlist? Or are all applicants on the same waitlist regardless of their residence status? I would think the latter is probably true though, hm..

Incognito I get the sense that you are thinking way too hard about this. Decide if you want to study in the US or not, then apply broadly, skewing your applications towards the high or low end of the spectrum based on your general competiveness. That's what we all did...

Incognito I get the sense that you are thinking way too hard about this. Decide if you want to study in the US or not, then apply broadly, skewing your applications towards the high or low end of the spectrum based on your general competiveness. That's what we all did...

Well, I don't have a 3.5 GPA, this is a hypothetical scenario I'm creating. I mean, I may have a 3.5 when I apply, but I guess that's another reason why i made this thread, lol.

Archived