Premed 101 Forums

Qestion about pre-requisite course

UofT have a new policy that we can take a credit/non-credit course, which means that there will be no marks showing on my transcript for that course. I am wondering when I apply US med school, will they ask us to put marks on the online application? cuz i am thinking use that for my English course, which is required for most of US med school.

Thanks

UofT have a new policy that we can take a credit/non-credit course, which means that there will be no marks showing on my transcript for that course. I am wondering when I apply US med school, will they ask us to put marks on the online application? cuz i am thinking use that for my English course, which is required for most of US med school.

Thanks

There is a feature on the application system that will let you designate a course as Pass/Fail so you won't have to enter a grade.

Thanks

A course like that should not be reported (if it is, it will not count) and you would be out of luck for using it as a prereq.

Edit: I just read Musicaldna's response. If it is not technically for credit, then likely this course is a completion/non-completion course with no pass/fail.

A course like that should not be reported (if it is, it will not count) and you would be out of luck for using it as a prereq.

so it is bad to take such a type of course? what do you mean "out of luck"?

I think the transcript will show "credit" instead of puting a marks on it. but i think i will only get 70s on my English course...sigh..

Edit: I just read Musicaldna's response. If it is not technically for credit, then likely this course is a completion/non-completion course with no pass/fail.

I agree, if the course doesn't give you a certain number of credit hours, it won't work since US schools require X number of credit hours in English. This needs to be on your transcript.

ETA: Just saw your response harry. If the course gives you credit then it might be ok. I guess it might depend on the school though.

I agree, if the course doesn't give you a certain number of credit hours, it won't work since US schools require X number of credit hours in English. This needs to be on your transcript.

ETA: Just saw your response harry. If the course gives you credit then it might be ok. I guess it might depend on the school though.

It is counted as credit course. but it just looks urgly on my transcript.

so it is bad to take such a type of course? what do you mean "out of luck"?

I think the transcript will show "credit" instead of puting a marks on it. but i think i will only get 70s on my English course...sigh..

It is always best to take a course that has a true mark. If there is no mark nor pass/fail assigned, schools will question the validity/difficulty of the course or even how well you did and will likely not accept it as a prerequisite. I believe some schools require a minimum grade in prerequisites so having no grade will for sure eliminate that course right away. What I mean by out of luck is that you would have to take other English courses to satisfy most schools.

so i was wondering, lets say you know you will not do good in english.

would it be better to take the course in the year that you are applying. ex- if applying at the end of 3 year, take this course in the term 2 of 4th year. (so they don't get to see ur marks)

because for the US, you don't need the prerequisite in order to apply you just need it prior to matriculation.

does that sound right?

so i was wondering, lets say you know you will not do good in english.

would it be better to take the course in the year that you are applying. ex- if applying at the end of 3 year, take this course in the term 2 of 4th year. (so they don't get to see ur marks)

because for the US, you don't need the prerequisite in order to apply you just need it prior to matriculation.

does that sound right?

They will follow up with a look at your transcript to make sure it is done. I'm not sure, but some schools I think require pre-reqs to be a C or higher. SUNY Upstate explicitly says that if you complete pre-req courses after applying/accepting you must obtain a B.

My advice is spend some meaningful time working on an English course. It'll come in very handy for writing exceptional personal statements for Canada and the US, as well as increasing your score for the WS on the MCAT. Avoiding challenges is not the best way to go through life!

i am in the same boat! except I need to take a physics course which i tried taking this year (my 4th year) and dropped it after the first midterm. i am planning on applying at the end of my 4th year and then take the one physics course throughout my 5th year and hope that i can get at least a B. oh how i hate physics..

but i took an english course at UofT last year and dont be discouraged! i did horribly on my first essay but then for my next essay and assignments i went to the prof and my t.a. and told them that i was a science student in my first english class and they helped me sooo much! they were actually even proud of me for taking the class so i worked really hard and with their guidance i got a B+. and mind you i have always been HORRRIBLE at english. so take the course not as a credit/nocredit, work hard and take advantage of the prof and t.a's because they are there to help you. and you never know you might end up with a surprisingly good grade. andd u might even enjoy it! i know i did and now in my fourth year i have to say my english class was one of my favourite classes at uoft. :)

Archived