Premed 101 Forums

Difficulties of Medicine

T-reg

Thought I would start a thread on a potential interview question: what are the difficulties of medicine and how are you prepared for them?

I think the two obvious ones to me are 1) time management: managing your time between patients- ensuring due care but also seeing all the patients you need to see, and balancing home and work 2) dealing with losing patients: not being able to do anything and coping with that (ie. did I do everything?)

I was wondering what other people thought.

This is very general interview advice. It is applicable to any interview.

When you get a question like the one in the original post ask yourself the following:

What does this question really mean?

When asking yourself this question place it in the context of what the interviewer would want to know. For example I think the question in the original post means:

Do you really know what you are getting yourself into? If so, convince us you have an understanding of what this life choice entails.

For example doing this rephrasing business one could roll with: thrived in really hard activity X, experience Y in medicine related thing allowed me to learn K about medicine, passion for Z helped me realize P about health care, I learned the skills needed to balance X with Y and because of this I feel (somthing positive) about this as a future career etc etc.

This might seem like this is semantics upon first glance. But I have always found approaching all my interviews, not just medicine related interviews, in this matter can help you highlight the stuff the interviewer is really trying to make note of. It is a way to get into their head. They are asking the question to find out specific details about you. It might seem open ended, but I think most people have preconceived themes they are looking for you to touch on in such an answer. Rephrasing the question from the interviewers perspective increases the odds of you answering the question in a manner which addresses those themes.

I am no expert, but that is my general advice. :)

This is very general interview advice. It is applicable to any interview.

When you get a question like the one in the original post ask yourself the following:

What does this question really mean?

When asking yourself this question place it in the context of what the interviewer would want to know. For example I think the question in the original post means:

Do you really know what you are getting yourself into? If so, convince us you have an understanding of what this life choice entails.

For example doing this rephrasing business one could roll with: thrived in really hard activity X, experience Y in medicine related thing allowed me to learn K about medicine, passion for Z helped me realize P about health care, I learned the skills needed to balance X with Y and because of this I feel (somthing positive) about this as a future career etc etc.

This might seem like this is semantics upon first glance. But I have always found approaching all my interviews, not just medicine related interviews, in this matter can help you highlight the stuff the interviewer is really trying to make note of. It is a way to get into their head. They are asking the question to find out specific details about you. It might seem open ended, but I think most people have preconceived themes they are looking for you to touch on in such an answer. Rephrasing the question from the interviewers perspective increases the odds of you answering the question in a manner which addresses those themes.

I am no expert, but that is my general advice. :)

Roger, you are too modest! Your advice sounds like you are a polished interviewee; you know what you are talking about. Super advice you have given here.

The basic rule is: link bite-size pieces of information into a thread that tells a (very brief) story. When the interviewer understands that you understand, they will feel like you have addressed the question 100%. It demonstrates true "awareness."

Just an aside, being a doctor does not make getting a hot girlfriend easy. Hell, I'm just thinking of my own classmates girlfriends - most are average girls, and many guys have little luck with the ladies.

Getting women has more to do with your attitude/personality/style and also GAME. Jobs, looks, money can help, but your ability to manipulate a woman's emotions is the single most important trait. Learn and master that...and you'll be able to pick up hot professional women as a total penniless bum with mediocore looks.

Just an aside, being a doctor does not make getting a hot girlfriend easy. Hell, I'm just thinking of my own classmates girlfriends - most are average girls, and many guys have little luck with the ladies.

Getting women has more to do with your attitude/personality/style and also GAME. Jobs, looks, money can help, but your ability to manipulate a woman's emotions is the single most important trait. Learn and master that...and you'll be able to pick up hot professional women as a total penniless bum with mediocore looks.

So true. When I met the woman who is now my wife, I was earning peanuts and living at my parents. And she was the type who would only date rich guys who lived in fancy homes and had top jobs. And she has the looks to back up that approach. Technically I had zero chance... on paper. We laugh about it now but on our first date my rust bucket car had front doors that couldn't open properly. I needed a screwdriver to jimmy the front panel and then I had to lift the door up while swinging it open. (other wise the door would practically fall off and hit the ground). You should have seen her face when I opened the door for her :D Classic.

Fast forward 15 years and we are happily married with kids. And to her surprise I got my degrees part-time while holding down crappy paying jobs and climbed the corporate ladder. :P

Fact is you want to find a life mate who wants you for who you are and not what you have. You don't want to be wondering if the person is with you because of money or status. She always teases me and reminds me that I ought to know she married me for the right reasons.

• 2 weeks later...
That's because we are so far away from being a doctor. IN fact most of us are debt right now. A girl I know who was <this> close to being an abercrombie and fitch model dating a guy who is unttractive, but doing his surgery residency :D

Makes sense, the fact that he's ugly is outweighed by the fact that she'll never have to see him.:D

Doctors often have confidence (especially surgeons - they have to have it), and that is often enough to attract women. Take that same confidence into a plain looking guy with no money...and if he's got game, he'll get women. I know tons of guys like this back west, that after reading the game and taking these pick up courses, get hot women all the time with little effort.

Money and looks help, but they are not that important (unless you have no confidence, and need those two as a crutch).

True...keeping her takes more than regular 'game'...but money and looks won't do it either. I suppose you need 'relationship game' . If you had money and were with a woman long enough, and she only cared for money, she could leave at any time and take half.

Ultimately, in my opinion, confidence and an understanding of what women innnately want, trumps superficial things. Sure money and looks can impress. But their biggest benefit is giving a guy confidence. But if most guys really look inside, they can find confidence from other things. Women may think deep down they are only looking for money or looks (while pretending to be looking for a sweet guy), but instinctively they are looking for a guy that exhibits alpha male traits. That ability can be learned...and women are attracted to those behavious/traits, like men are attracted to big boobs: it's innate and can't be helped.

I should also mention that surgeons (alpha) seem to get TONS of women here in london and attention from nurses and female med studenrs, but the nerdier radiologists, pathologists, internists, etc, though still making lots of money, don't. Most girls would rather date a jock orthopod, than some nerdy pathologist.

Archived