Premed 101 Forums

Importance of 4th year

Gitanjali

Hey guys,

I have a question to ask...yet again..I am currently in my 4th year, and because of the application madness and personal lack of motivation, 4th year is looking terrible in terms of GPA..and by terrible I mean in one course i am looking at a 60% average so far, even though I still have the exam to go.

I was just wondering how 4th year grades are looked at when we marticulate..obv assuming I do go to atleast some med school next year...also, for scholarships or loans, what is the bare min GPA I should try to maintain?

I would really appreciate any advise..so that I can pull my socks up if I absolutely need to:o

If you get in, just aim to get at least a B in the rest of your courses. My GPA dropped my last year of undergrad too, just because I was so busy with applications, interviews, etc.

For scholarships, I have no idea... I was too dumb to even entertain the thought of scholarships in med school.

Hey moo! Thanks for the asvise bud..B seems quite hard right now actually, but I shall try my best I guess...

boobiman..here are my stats if they help at all:

SInce I went to Mac, I only know my GPA on a 12 point scale, I can make estimaes abt the 4 point scale though:

Yr 1: 3.76

Yr 2: 3.95

Yr 3: 3.93

AMCAS overall was 3.91 and MCAT was 35S (13 PS, 12 BS and 10 VR); OMSAS GPA was 3.87 for comparison's sake

EC's are terribly scanty actually: 3 research projects ( no publications), some volunteer stuff and TAing and some random stuff

Hope it helps:)

I think the consensus on SDN is that you can probably get away with one C in your last year. I would make sure to do well in your other classes though. I don't think SLU gives scholarships to Canadians (not sure though) and I doubt grades have anything to do with loans. So if the people on SDN are right, you should be ok. Just do your best on that last test! ;)

Archived