Premed 101 Forums

Western GPA in Bio/Med Science

There are a lot of avenues into which students segregate if they don't make the cut. The cutoffs most likely being referred to here are for the honours specialization modules (i.e. honours spec in medical sciences, physiology, pharmacology, mico/imm, etc. etc.). If you don't make it into honours spec you can get into just a specialization or a major or something. And then of course, some students switch into general bio, health sci, or completely different programs.

Man, I never did this much research when choosing my undergrad program. Good for you though. At the same time, don't forget to enjoy your last year of high school.

Would you guys know, approximately, the breakdown of students marks? like approx. how many ppl had 4.0s, 3.9s, 3.8s....etc.

The cutoffs are based on pre-req's within the sciences, so they don't represent the full course loads students are taking. So you can't tell GPA (Western doesn't use GPA as a sidenote), but you can't tell their overall average because maybe they had an 85% average between the courses they needed to get into a certain module, but that says nothing about their other courses.

and i'm not worried about not being accepted from year to year, but where do all those that 'don't make the cut' go? like doesnt this program start off with like 700 students?....after Year 1 it goes down to 320ish.

First year is called "biological and medical sciences" (it's what you apply for from high school), it basically lumps everyone in who is gearing towards Med Sci and also those who are staying just in the Faculty of Science. The first class sizes are huge.. like around 1,000 ppl (although there's different sections, at least 2). In second year you apply to get into a certain stream of Med Sci (even though you still take the same courses with the faculty of Science) and only 320 ppl get in. Third year you start branching off and take courses specific to your module, similarly to ppl in faculty of Science who start taking courses that are more specific to their modules. The only difference between Med Sci and Science is that there is limited spots in Med Sci.. otherwise everything is the same.

hey. thanks a lot guys. so, there are only about 15 seats for the pathology program. and there are a total of around 320 for all the different modules you can take, including the Medical Sciences one. that's probably why the averages are so high for that particular one, its very competitive.

but still, some of those averages are way up there. Would you guys know, approximately, the breakdown of students marks? like approx. how many ppl had 4.0s, 3.9s, 3.8s....etc.

and i'm not worried about not being accepted from year to year, but where do all those that 'don't make the cut' go? like doesnt this program start off with like 700 students?....after Year 1 it goes down to 320ish.

I'm in my fourth year of the Pathology program right now and can tell you it is a bit of a misconception that this program is the most competitive to get into. While it appears so because of the entrance averages for second and third year, there are only 5 students in the 4th year seminar course this year (your year long research project), meaning there are another 10 spaces available, but the program did not fill for whatever reason.

I think people get turned away from Pathology because they think its harder -- all that they're basing that on in all likelihood are the entrance averages and module requirements (you get fewer electives in Pathology). The courses are just as reasonable as those in other modules, at least based on the ones I have taken outside of Pathology.

I agree with everything rogerroger has already emphasized. It is possible to do exceptionally well in the program if you put the effort in. Once you get to 4th year, it becomes a little more difficult to do 'exceptionally' well (I define that as 90%+) simply because everything is written and subjective to a certain extent. Nonetheless, every fourth year class I have taken so far have had class averages of 80% or higher -- but at the same time you also have top students in the fourth year courses since the program is competitive to get into annually and the students that do not make the cut are out by third year.

Does anyone have any information about the biophysics courses (not the first year physics course, but the ones classified under BMSc) in terms of difficulty etc?

Just go talk to Dr. Zinke-Allmang. Last year he seemed to always be promoting this course. I believe he has office hours outside of Tim Hortons in the UCC on M,W,F from 5-7.

Just go talk to Dr. Zinke-Allmang. Last year he seemed to always be promoting this course. I believe he has office hours outside of Tim Hortons in the UCC on M,W,F from 5-7.

Honestly OP, you will love UWO. Everybody is so supportive here. The Bmsc office folks are also really helpful.

Kyleh, how was orgo? Started studying biochem?

Sorry for the thread hijack.

yea, im the OP, and this program seems great. It has enough of that competitive aspect to it so that it keeps you motivated to do well. western is one of my top 2 choices for sure.

and which of the modules allows for the most electives? i'm guessing basic medical sciences, but i'm not sure. i'm going to want to take courses that will boost my GPA, so i would like more electives to do this.

Archived