Premed 101 Forums

Applying as Grad Student to American Schools

sparx

I have applied to a few Canadian and American MD/PhD programs along with several grad programs in the states this year. If I don't get into an MD/PhD program, I'm planning on doing grad school then reapplying.

Just wondering if American med schools have a separate admissions process for graduate students, similar to Canadian schools (i.e. no longer looking at your undergrad grades and more emphasis placed on research productivity during Master's or PhD). Or is it the case that they don't care and still treat you as if you were an undergrad student applying? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have applied to a few Canadian and American MD/PhD programs along with several grad programs in the states this year. If I don't get into an MD/PhD program, I'm planning on doing grad school then reapplying.

Just wondering if American med schools have a separate admissions process for graduate students, similar to Canadian schools (i.e. no longer looking at your undergrad grades and more emphasis placed on research productivity during Master's or PhD). Or is it the case that they don't care and still treat you as if you were an undergrad student applying? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Research definitely helps supplement your application, especially if you are looking at the MD/PhD programs. Some schools from what I have read place a huge emphasis on research whereas others may not. Ultimately though your GPA is calculated using ALL grades.

Even though you may have a ton of research, if your cGPA is on the lower end (~3.0), you will still have a tough time. The good thing about the US is that your application is looked at holistically before decisions are made. A semi-weak GPA may be overlooked, but likely with the help of a good MCAT and not research.

Thanks for the reply. Well I'm not concerned with my GPA. I was just wondering if grad school students were put in a separate batch with separate admission requirements or if all the requirements that apply to undergrad students (prereq courses and such) still apply to applicants coming from grad school.

American med schools do NOT care about your masters generally. However, they will consider any new updates on ECs, specifically research related to your program for that period of time.

Archived