Premed 101 Forums

Research Opportunities for High School Students

C2U2

I graduated from high school already and will begin university in Fall 2010. I want to gain some research experience between this time. Anyone know potential research opportunities/internship positions I can be involved/participate in?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. thx

I know that this isn't what you want to hear, but have a fun summer and get into research later. You have the rest of your life to do that. Try to find yourself an interesting and exciting way to spend your summer. This will help you stand out from other med students. Once you're in university and have an idea of your interests you can start looking into research positions. You'll be more qualified and better paid, too.

I know that this isn't what you want to hear, but have a fun summer and get into research later. You have the rest of your life to do that. Try to find yourself an interesting and exciting way to spend your summer. This will help you stand out from other med students. Once you're in university and have an idea of your interests you can start looking into research positions. You'll be more qualified and better paid, too.

^^ +1

10 char, apparently. Damn software!

No offense, but I don't know anyone who would hire a fresh out of high school graduate to do research. As someone who lives and breathes research, I would not trust a just graduated high school student to do any data analysis or even any sort of literature search (which involves way more than just a google search). Sorry. Go and enjoy your last true summer... I partied hard in Montreal the summer after I graduated high school. You should too.

I expect that will be a common (and fully justified) perspective. I can't imagine how a just graduated Grade 12 student would have anything approaching an adequate knowledge base to take on a research project.

It really wouldn't hurt to sloooooow down and stop posting on a "premed" forum either. I come here for the one and only purpose of procrastination (and, I suppose, clerkship or vague CaRMS-related info), and while this forum is useful, I suppose, there's nothing you can't find on each school's admissions page. Which you shouldn't be looking at now since you haven't even started university.

There is SO much more to life - especially in high school - and spending time here is a waste. It's great to be thinking about your future career, but what is in the future can safely stay there. I don't think there's any special advice about med admissions either as regards what you should do in undergrad - get good marks, take necessary prerequisites, and get involved in some interesting campus/extracurricular/community activities.

In Alberta, there are research programs for students during the summer between grades 11 and 12:

http://www.wisest.ualberta.ca/nav02.cfm?nav02=21344&nav01=21324

Those who do the program tend to be at the top of their classes, highly motivated and accomplished, and they do just as well as any undergraduate student entering the research environment.

AHFMR Summer Studentships are available to "exceptional high school students with records of participation in the healthcare system, and a clear interest in pursuing a health research career"

http://www.ahfmr.ab.ca/grants/Sum-student.php

Of course, a person would still have to do the necessary legwork in putting together a convincing application for employment, and be prepared for rejection and be persistent in their search.. but opportunities are out there and I would not discourage a qualified person from looking.

I've known a few people from UTS that have done research while in high school. It's a great way to get your feet wet and make some connections. Contact some profs and just be straight up about your intentions. Of course, it's better to have someone recommend a lab - so ask around, as well. You don't want to end up with a slave driver.

The worst that will happen is that you'll know you don't like research. The best is that you will an immense advantage on everyone else and will more than likely be on your way to a couple of publications (or more) come medical school app time. Those combined with a good GPA and MCAT -> salaried MD/PhD programs in the states at amazing unviersities (Cornell/Harvard/WashU/Columbia). Set your goals high. Definitely do research.

Try joining a science "camp" that presents research opportunities. Google Shad Valley or Deep River Science Academy...you won't make any money but they will definitely give you hands on experience in research laboratories.

I know people are telling you to take it easy, but if you really are interested then maybe you would be happy spending your summer in one of these programs. I know of students who have either gotten jobs in the summer as undergrads based on their personal experience with the programs and who have actually gotten published because of their contribution of a summer's work.

Good luck,

LL

I did research in the first semester of my grade 12 year in high school. We had a program that was open to most people in my high school (so its not like I was exceptional or anything) where you took two grade 12 classes, a single normal university class, and did research in a university laboratory for your first semester of grade 12. I had a lot of fun and I got valuable experience in stuff like passaging cell lines, pipetting, staining, etc. (not exactly difficult but it was a great experience, there are a lot of techniques you can learn without understanding the theory behind it). The experience helped me to get a pharmacy technician spot (obviously unrelated but they thought it was cool so they took a chance on me) and to get an NSERC USRA in my first year of my undergraduate degree, so it was useful.

So no its definitely not necessary to do research but it is possible and if you enjoy research its a lot of fun so whats the harm in asking? At worst all the professors you approach will say no and it best it could be a really great experience.

So no its definitely not necessary to do research but it is possible and if you enjoy research its a lot of fun so whats the harm in asking? At worst all the professors you approach will say no and it best it could be a really great experience.

No, at worst you'll do it, end up with a supervisor who's an ass, have a miserable time, and regret wasting a summer.:P I'd say at least half the people I know who've done research had very unpleasant experiences.

ok, I was in the same mindset back then...(many many years ago :( )

I did a research co-op in grade 12 (at agriculture canada), which I think was a total waste of time....

why? because the rationales behind those experiments were BEYOND my comprehension~~~

for example, how do you suppose to understand protein interaction w/o a proper understanding of the amino acids??

If you really wanna get started early, do something you enjoy...volunteer? travel? maybe even karate??

We have a family friend whom I asked to do summer research in the summer between grade 12 and 1st year uni. He emailed me the following "Sure, I would love to have you over here this summer however, you should realize there are many summers ahead of you to explore careers and sometimes it is a good idea to explore life" I took his advice that year and had a blast travelling. I went back to do research with him the next summer, and only then did I realize the wisdom in his suggestion, though I really had a lot of fun doing research. Don't rush things.

The worst that will happen is that you'll know you don't like research. The best is that you will an immense advantage on everyone else and will more than likely be on your way to a couple of publications (or more) come medical school app time. Those combined with a good GPA and MCAT -> salaried MD/PhD programs in the states at amazing unviersities (Cornell/Harvard/WashU/Columbia). Set your goals high. Definitely do research.

This isn't really accurate. It definitely isn't fair to suggest that doing menial tasks in a lab (which is all you're qualified to do as a high school grad) will lead to publications of any sort. Also, this won't provide you with any kind of immense advantage, particularly for an MD program.

If you're interested in research, look into some things that you might like to become involved in ONCE YOU'VE STARTED YOUR UNDERGRAD. Profs don't like overbearing keeners anymore than their student counterparts, and frankly I think you'd be laughed at for trying to get involved in graduate level research ass a high school grad. I apologize if that sounds harsh or rude, but you simply don't have the experience or knowledge to be of any kind of value to a prof.

For Crissake, it's summertime. Go to the beach, and just do a regular job. High School activities don't really matter for anything once it comes time for med apps.

I meant if you want to try research and think you'll have fun, fully understanding your limitations in the field and with your potential supervisor completely okay with the fact that you are in high school then its not such a big deal to try if they want to. To each their own. Honestly, I had a horrible time being a junior day camp counsellor because of the two senior counsellors with me when I was a preteen and that doesn't mean that I think all day camp jobs are horrible, they can be a lot of fun.

Secondly, asking for a research opportunity in a polite way does not make you a keener, and not every professor is going to hate you considering how many professors volunteered to do this program in my high school. Those that stopped doing it (i.e. because of maternity leave, etc.) still enjoyed it and said they wished other students had approached them later as they never had the time to re-approach the program. While that is only some professors and obviously there are many who would take the opposite approach, the ones who don't want high school students will just tell you so. Everyone does not have the same priorities, some people want to try something like this and think it would be fun. As for having comprehension , a lot of laboratory techniques do not require any theoretical knowledge to do, it all depends on the type of research. While understanding obviously enhances the experience its not essential, particularly as a high school student, to get something out of the experience. They're not going to be writing publications, and even simple projects are exciting if you're in high school.

I'm not trying to say your point of view is wrong because its not, theres a lot to be said for just enjoying your summer and relaxing, but it is not the only point of view. Is it really all that different from getting a summer job, if money is not an issue? Also there is some possibility (however slight) that it could help with applications as it can open future opportunities which can help prepare for medical school (my pharmacy technician job helped me a lot with medical school course work and dealing with patients).

Obviously I'm biased because I had great experiences and had fun, even when it was just "research lite". To each their own.

Also, sorry to keep posting, but I just wanted to say that this isn't necessarily true, usually true maybe, but not always:

If you're interested in research, look into some things that you might like to become involved in ONCE YOU'VE STARTED YOUR UNDERGRAD. Profs don't like overbearing keeners anymore than their student counterparts, and frankly I think you'd be laughed at for trying to get involved in graduate level research ass a high school grad. I apologize if that sounds harsh or rude, but you simply don't have the experience or knowledge to be of any kind of value to a prof.

The lab I worked in as a high school student had no laboratory technician (i.e. no one in charge of the lab) and her masters students were never there so she used me and one other high school student to maintain her cell lines. Without us the cell lines would have died as they needed to be passaged every so often and split or frozen when they had to many cells. They were only fish cell lines so it wasn't that difficult. We also helped organize the lab (the freezers hadn't been cleaned in forever) and did an inventory, which was also of value. Secondly the professor gave us a mini "research" project and she put our names on her conference abstract. Is that a real publication, no, but it was still sort of cool.

My point, and I do have one, is that it helps to say things like usually and mostly as opposed to making blanket statements. Your advice is great and probably accurate 85-90% of the time, but just not always. Hopefully I haven't relegated myself to annoying keener status :D

This isn't really accurate. It definitely isn't fair to suggest that doing menial tasks in a lab (which is all you're qualified to do as a high school grad) will lead to publications of any sort. Also, this won't provide you with any kind of immense advantage, particularly for an MD program.

Actually, it is quite accurate and has been the experience of myself and many I know. If you find a slave driver that will just tell you to do *****work the whole time, then maybe what you said is true. So look around for a prof that doesn't treat his students like ****.

Of course, you'll start with menial tasks - but if the prof or his students are people at all, they will teach you the techniques they use in the lab and over time, your list of responsibilities will grow. Also, if you contribute to a figure, your name will usually be on a paper (probably one of the last ones, but hey - it's a start!)

You're deluding yourself if you think publications aren't important to an undergraduate.

Profs absolutely love people who work hard. It's one of the most important qualities for a scientist. If you show to a prof you're dedicated, you'll be on a fast track to do serious things. Just because you're a high school student and haven't taken 1st or 2nd year bio/math/phys, doesn't mean you can't pick up papers and learn. Most Annu Rev papers are easily accessible to someone with a high school education and a brain and will provide great foundations on which to build your knowledge

For Crissake, it's summertime. Go to the beach, and just do a regular job. High School activities don't really matter for anything once it comes time for med apps.

research matters.

Yikes, I'm sensing some animosity towards my last post. I just don't think that lab research is the best way for a high school student to spend a summer. There will be plenty of time for this once UG starts, and at this point you will have learned the basic techniques that will be required in most of your lab classes. Also, although "research matters", so do all kinds of other things. You won't be well equipped to bring a lot to the table in a laboratory, but by the end of high school, most people are very ready to offer other things. I worked with a YMCA summer camp in my summers while in high school, and it was the time of my life. I've made friends that I'm still very close with, and I know that I made an impact on the kids that I worked with.

Working in a lab this summer won't give you any more of an advantage than will working in a lab after your first year of undergrad. Also, if you hold off until after first year, you'll get 4 months of research experience (which will make you more attractive to a uni prof) as compared to the 2 months you'll get now. There are many other positions aimed at HS students that last for 2 months and will prepare you for uni extracurriculars better than lab work would. You'll likely enjoy your summer more if you do something like this, it's something that you can only do when you're younger (think of how weird it would be for a 25 year old to work as a camp counsellor in most places), and it will lead to more personal growth than you would get from doing gram stains 9 to 5.

Will lab work help? Sure, I guess. There are other opportunities available to you though, and I think these would be better, and more enjoyable. People have said that the worst that will happen is that you'll find out that you won't like research. I disagree. The worst that can happen is that you'll miss out on an opportunity that won't be there once you start your UG.

Archived