Premed 101 Forums

can you apply (for MD) at harvard after mcgill's one year premed?

brainNmuscles

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Both of you are immature

You guys brag so much about your grades for nothing.

For brain: Sfinch is in medical school anyways. (I thought GSP trains with Keith Jardine anyways.) High-school really don't predict how you perform in Cegep. I used to have 60s back in high-school and now I get rather acceptable marks in CEGEP, although not comparable to your 95+ marks, of course. This brings me to say that you're still just a kid, really really immature. If I were you, I'd try to aim for ANY med school, and not think about Harvard. In the future, please post more constructive and less offensive things.

For Sfinch: would you STOP bragging about your school grades at every opportunity you have? Nobody even cares about it. You're in med school, congrats (sincerely).

If you know enough about the UFC to put a link between GSP and Jardine you probably know that 1.fighters train with many MANY different people 2.they train at home, with private trainers...lol not at all, they train at the best gym there is which is usually public (unless the guy is ****ing wealthy like BJ Penn and has his own private gym) so what are u trying to imply by '' I thought...'', that im lying? I obviously do not train with him, but we share the same wrestling coachs the same mats and the same practice hours...

Look, the only reason why I shared my marks is to let the 4.0 GPA guy that im not average nor above average... to let him know that im far from the typical guy who ''dreams'' to become a doctor (now, dont get the idea that i think getting into med school is smooth and easy, far from it... i will work very hard day and night..) my point is that this post was a defence against ''he's a troll..'' and by no means an offence therefore why did you say ''...although not comparable to your 95+ marks, of course''?

''...you're still just a kid, really really immature'' wow, wow, wow, thats the point where I have to tell you shut the F*CK up... dont think that because im in HS and ur in CEGEP that using the term 'kid' is suitable. the average age at most colleges for the pre-u DEC is 17- 19, the distance between our ages is astonishing!! As for saying 'really really imature', who are you in terms of maturity to judge me (ill make an assumption, excuse me if im wrong (really)) I bet you that at 13 years of age (thats for u literature101) u were still thinking books are for nerds...

dyu even know what is l-arginine, what is galactose or which vitamins are 'liposoluble' or 'hydrosoluble' (french)? well I knew all that by the age 14

WE ARE ALL GOING TO AGREE that having the patience and the desire to read a 1200+ pages with tiny wrriting (Gray's Anatomy) takes maturity, more than what youd expect a 'high-schooler' to have.

the fact that you had 60s in high school, altough it certainly does not determine your fate, it shows that you didnt strive for perfection (and still dont cuz ur happy with ''rather acceptable marks'') and that you didnt have good work ethics.

Finally, Science, and heres what i love about it, is objective. Chemistry, phisics and math all have set rules... I know my sh*t, I will keep on learning my sh*t (on my own and much earlier than my futur classmates), and when the time will come to apply the sh*t, I will rape the **** out of it. Mark my words: I will become a doctor.

arrogance?

You have to come in knowing that your gonna make it...if you dont believe, you are doomed.

Dont get me wrong, people that think they cant become doctors since they're teens dont become doctors very often.

arrogance?

You have to come in knowing that your gonna make it...if you dont believe, you are doomed.

Dont get me wrong, people that think they cant become doctors since they're teens dont become doctors very often.

Yes, because you've clearly been around long enough to see who gets accepted into medical school and who doesn't.

I graduated from high school with a 97% average, at the top of my class, won a ton of scholarships etc.....I also was convinced that I was going to be a doctor since the age of 10. It was a huge slap in the face when I was rejected from med last year.

I'm sure you're really smart and you're a hard worker, but sorry to break it to you but sometimes that's just not enough.

Oh, and another thing: swearing at people who challenge you won't get you very far in life....especially in a profession that requires you to have good people skills.

If you know enough about the UFC to put a link between GSP and Jardine you probably know that 1.fighters train with many MANY different people 2.they train at home, with private trainers...lol not at all, they train at the best gym there is which is usually public (unless the guy is ****ing wealthy like BJ Penn and has his own private gym) so what are u trying to imply by '' I thought...'', that im lying? I obviously do not train with him, but we share the same wrestling coachs the same mats and the same practice hours...

Look, the only reason why I shared my marks is to let the 4.0 GPA guy that im not average nor above average... to let him know that im far from the typical guy who ''dreams'' to become a doctor (now, dont get the idea that i think getting into med school is smooth and easy, far from it... i will work very hard day and night..) my point is that this post was a defence against ''he's a troll..'' and by no means an offence therefore why did you say ''...although not comparable to your 95+ marks, of course''?

''...you're still just a kid, really really immature'' wow, wow, wow, thats the point where I have to tell you shut the F*CK up... dont think that because im in HS and ur in CEGEP that using the term 'kid' is suitable. the average age at most colleges for the pre-u DEC is 17- 19, the distance between our ages is astonishing!! As for saying 'really really imature', who are you in terms of maturity to judge me (ill make an assumption, excuse me if im wrong (really)) I bet you that at 13 years of age (thats for u literature101) u were still thinking books are for nerds...

dyu even know what is l-arginine, what is galactose or which vitamins are 'liposoluble' or 'hydrosoluble' (french)? well I knew all that by the age 14

WE ARE ALL GOING TO AGREE that having the patience and the desire to read a 1200+ pages with tiny wrriting (Gray's Anatomy) takes maturity, more than what youd expect a 'high-schooler' to have.

the fact that you had 60s in high school, altough it certainly does not determine your fate, it shows that you didnt strive for perfection (and still dont cuz ur happy with ''rather acceptable marks'') and that you didnt have good work ethics.

Finally, Science, and heres what i love about it, is objective. Chemistry, phisics and math all have set rules... I know my sh*t, I will keep on learning my sh*t (on my own and much earlier than my futur classmates), and when the time will come to apply the sh*t, I will rape the **** out of it. Mark my words: I will become a doctor.

arrogance?

I agree that believing in yourself is important but how you express that could be a different story. Most people believe them themselves and know that they will become doctors but they don't say it out loud on an internet forum, they keep it to themselves. An analogy is a faithful Christian would not tell everyone how faithful he/she is, they just do their thing. Now there's no point or no need to show your hs marks even if you are just trying to argue with Sfinich because your hs marks dont mean anything therefore does not help your argument. Reason for this is that I and many of us have seen people with great hs marks fail miserably in universities. I have personally seen at least 5 people with 95+ hs marks and working hard but still only getting 70s at university. I am not saying high hs mark has a negative correlation with university GPA but I am rather saying the correlation is weak.

You want to go to harvard good for you, who doesnt? But posting this and saying you can only see yourself at harvard is a very arrogant statement. Good luck!

brainNmuscles, Doc_Ma was kind in her truthful assessment. Arrogance is not an attribute that any med school appreciates, nor do patients appreciate it. Nor do they appreciate immaturity and candidates for medicine using the F word and the other type of language that you exhibited here. You are not spreading or contributing anything useful other than language that a serious candidate would never use to support a poor argument, e.g., put this on you CV to get into Harvard, and see what happens. Or are you only on your 'best behaviour' when you are being judged by admissions and otherwise, you can be your real self. You are kidding yourself and dreaming in technicolour to believe - with the aatittude and descriptive words you have shown here - that you will ever qualify for Harvard. Send them this thread so they can look into your character. Shame on you and your inflated ego. You have time to change and eventually, you will grow up.

Based upon your behaviour here, you will not become a doctor, regardless of what you knew at age 13 or 14. Oh, should you ever get an interview, don't foget to tell them what you knew at age 13/14, they will be really impressed and probably offer you an MD without even going to med school. As a supposedly highly intelligent person, you have only shown lack of maturity, lack of judgment, lack of decorum, lack of intelligence and lack of respect. You need a reality check and lots of growing up to do. And you have established your reputation on this forum in just a few posts, quite a record, you must be proud.

The OP is a troll, though he/she could probably be outed if a real person. I found out conclusively who ahmed92 was (with his real email, name, program, university) with a little common sense sleuthing.

I mentioned my marks/mcat to only emphasize that even with the best paper credentials, the odds of getting into harvard meds are really low (i didnt apply stateside because of really having no interest - but if i had, harvard would be a low chance for me). The regulars on this forum and my classmates know my undergrad record - so it wasn't new for them, or intended bragging.

****, so even if you are near perfect...

what do u mean by immature and foolish? what, you think im one of those kids who say 'im gonna be a doctor when i grow up..' just for the paycheck or for other bs reasons? now, i know what im about to tell you is 'nothing' but im vvery pasionate about medecine... since im 13 i read books about nutrition, ophtalmology, neurology and anatomy, btw im actually reading the 1901 edition of Gray's Anatomy.. being the critic that you seem to be (i have a strong feeling ur gonna say something like 'no life' or 'nerd') i also work out harcore since im 13, i wrestle at the best gym in canada (with GSP, Georges St-Pierre the welterweight UFC champion) and i go clubbing almost everyweek.

i go to one of the best private schools in quebec (i think it was #1 in 2006 or 2003) and im BY FAR the best of ALL my classes (my classmates are ****ing smart, dont worry) btw for the midterms I got 100 in math 536 100 in physics and at least 95 in chemistry.. (to most of my teachers i am a prodigy and to some; the best student they had in their entire career)

see, im not a troll (wtvr that means) lol

..and for my post, 1.i ONLY wanted to KNOW what were the possibilities available with a mcgill premed 2. i only mentionned harvard because, along with john hopkins, its the best university for medical reasearch (what i intend to do) 3. ur ****ing stupid if u think im going to refuse mcgill if im accepted they re the best in neurology and what do i what to become? a neurologist!

all I want from this forum is intelligent advice...

thanks guys

ps: futur_doc how do u delete posts?

An empty vessel makes the loudest noise!

That being said, as unfortunate as it is, there's always the "luck" factor in the admissions equation. I knew of a person a couple of years back who didn't get into med school, even though she had a cegep R score of 36,XXX

Good luck to you. advice: just because others critiSSize your written english or your academic background doesn't give you the right to brush them off with insults. Being able to accept criticism is essential in the medical field.

hey

im finishing high school and i plan on going to marianopolis...

can u please tell me,

if my goal was to become a harvard MD/phd...

and if i have SICK grades, outstanding letters of references, a **** load of medicine related extracuriculars a near perfect MCAT score due to many years of prep ;)... a 99% perfect application (if not, what am i missing?)

You may have brains, you may have muscles, but with no compassion, humility, ethical and sound judgment, you really have nothing and will never make it as a caring MD patients will trust. :(

The good news is that it is not too late to change and mature. :)

I came in here thinking that the forum wil be full of inteligent people (future docs)..., ok, my post conveyed immaturity and I understand why you all have a feeling that I dont belong here. But do I deserve such treatment, how the hell did I get 20 ppl on my back, did I attack anyone?

Sfinch started with ''the troll'', I assumed he said it because he tought I was a kid who has no sincere ambitions in medicine (for wanting harvard exclusively) so I tried to 'tell' him that its not the case by submiting my second post (i had no intentions to brag... how could I, knowing that these grades are common for ppl in this forum, I just wanted to show that i, too, belong here). Then ppl started with ''the arrogant'' (as if on a scale of 1 to 10 u guys were all one and me, ten, on that matter, I failed terribly to represent my real-life caracter as I am no where near as arrogant and cocky...)

Then came the analysis of my written english. I saw it as big targeting and I replied (defence) in a rude manner. Being upset I confronted vx777 for his earlier post 'kid, really really immature' and I may have been offencive when I made comments about his work ethics or strive for perfection. but that was it...

Finally "The D...". This is nothing less than an insult ...and coming from vx777 who 1.admitted to have been somewhat impolite and gave the image that 'hes the bigger man, who recognizes his mistakes. 2.was the (only) one to suggest an end to this thread and that no one replies anymore ''Let's not post another thing again here, and let him make a reputation of himself''.. 3. posted it even thau i stopped responding after his suggestion

Its as if im with the dean of admission, its all about me...15-20 ppl and no one else.. was the title ''im in hs and im in desperate need for discouragement''?: ''never gonna become a doctor'' ''idiot'' , ''keep on dreaming'' , 'no way theyre gonna accept u'' (these are not official quotes but its the message I get from reading the posts... and why am i even justifying this; cuz I dont want to be once again victim of criticism... i hear u say ''i searched the entire post and no one said these words, watta troll'') lol

I regret to have submited disrepectful posts which lacked in humility.

I, indeed, apologize.

but am I the only one at fault?

text edited out

I understand why you all have a feeling that I dont belong here. But do I deserve such treatment,

I, indeed, apologize.

You don't get it. It is not about assigning fault! The purpose of this forum is to give advice to each other, share opinions, have some fun - and not to go out of our way to be arrogant, rude, disrespectful and to create or encourage flame wars. A certain degree of maturity is required. It is not as if you have not been warned or received advice in a timely manner. But you insisted and the result was inevitable. Turn over a new leaf, become a contributing member and look forward and not backward. We learn from our mistakes, right? So, forget fault and move on. Being constructive is helpful. I assume your apology is b/c you are turning over a new leaf and not b/c you have been called on the carpet.

The new year is descending upon us. Start over.

Encore une fois, je te répète poliment que, si tu crois que tes 95 dans tes 536 vont te garantir des cote-R de 34+ au Cégep, tu fais une grave erreur.

C'est pas croyable comment tu peux te sentir visé tout à coup et à lancer des jurons et des insultes aux gens. T'es quand même en secondaire 5, tu devrais être un peu plus poli. Relis un peu tes anciens posts, et mets-toi à la place de quelqu'un d'autre. Comment tu te verrais? Si tu crois que tu n'as insulté personne, eh bien, plusieurs de tes posts me visent directement.

I came in here thinking that the forum wil be full of inteligent people (future docs)..., ok, my post conveyed immaturity and I understand why you all have a feeling that I dont belong here. But do I deserve such treatment, how the hell did I get 20 ppl on my back, did I attack anyone?

Sfinch started with ''the troll'', I assumed he said it because he tought I was a kid who has no sincere ambitions in medicine (for wanting harvard exclusively) so I tried to 'tell' him that its not the case by submiting my second post (i had no intentions to brag... how could I, knowing that these grades are common for ppl in this forum, I just wanted to show that i, too, belong here). Then ppl started with ''the arrogant'' (as if on a scale of 1 to 10 u guys were all one and me, ten, on that matter, I failed terribly to represent my real-life caracter as I am no where near as arrogant and cocky...)

Then came the analysis of my written english. I saw it as big targeting and I replied (defence) in a rude manner. Being upset I confronted vx777 for his earlier post 'kid, really really immature' and I may have been offencive when I made comments about his work ethics or strive for perfection. but that was it...

Finally "The D...". This is nothing less than an insult ...and coming from vx777 who 1.admitted to have been somewhat impolite and gave the image that 'hes the bigger man, who recognizes his mistakes. 2.was the (only) one to suggest an end to this thread and that no one replies anymore ''Let's not post another thing again here, and let him make a reputation of himself''.. 3. posted it even thau i stopped responding after his suggestion

Its as if im with the dean of admission, its all about me...15-20 ppl and no one else.. was the title ''im in hs and im in desperate need for discouragement''?: ''never gonna become a doctor'' ''idiot'' , ''keep on dreaming'' , 'no way theyre gonna accept u'' (these are not official quotes but its the message I get from reading the posts... and why am i even justifying this; cuz I dont want to be once again victim of criticism... i hear u say ''i searched the entire post and no one said these words, watta troll'') lol

I, indeed, apologize.

text edited out

Dude, I personally guarantee you that you will not gain admission into Harvard, and I'm being serious when I say that.

You might get admission into Medschool in Quebec, but that's about it. You'll never get accepted anywhere except for the province you live in.

I really like you brainNmuscles, so I'm gonna give you honest advice: I suggest you go to community college or enroll in a communications degree at one of your universities. I don't want to see you hurt in the long run, because I know for a fact you'll never become a Doctor.

I think you guys are being a little to rough on him. Sure he came off arrogant and then overly reacted to harsh but constructive criticism given by some members here but I dont think it is the right thing to crush his hopes and dreams like that. Put yourself in his situation for a moment, he probably has no one else to talk to about this kind of subject and the first place he posts he gets bombarded with hate. And you guys saying some of the stuff you said brings you to his level of stupidity, After all hes a kid hes supposed to be stupid, whats your excuse?

Cut this guy some slack, he made a mistake, he knows it, dont bring him down more then he already is.

And to brainsNmuscle, keep your aspirations to yourself, its not always a good idea to share them with random people, especially on the internet.

Everyone will always have their own opinion and will try to input their 2 cents on your hopes and dreams so its better to keep to yourself than to receive hateful remarks disguised under constructive criticism, the same goes irl, dont always reveal your entire hand.

I did a research on Harvard's website and here what I found :

http://hms.harvard.edu/admissions/default.asp?page=requirements

Under the fourth dot, they say that they will not accept students who have been enrolled in medical school. Therefore, you cannot do the transfer you talked about. If you absolutely want to make it in Harvard's med class, your best shot is to graduate from a bachelor degree, meet all their courses criteria, and supplement with another year of studies in the US (as written on dot 4).

Of course you also need a stellar GPA, an over-average MCAT, outstanding references, and a good enough charisma to outclass other candidates during the interview.

• 6 months later...

Listen muscles,

Good for you for reading a 13000 page book only to brag about it later on, you should do it for yourself and because you are interested in it not to brag. Humility is the most important trait of a doctor, and unfortunately that is something you cannot learn or brag about, especially in your case. After reading your thread I got a knot in my stomach thinking of the skulls and people you will step on to get your way and the annoyance that you will be for normal students. I do not say this to hurt you or by any means say that I am better than you, but you need to take a long look in the mirror and get your attitude in check.

There is no way in hell any decent university will accept you, Harvard included, if you behave the way you behaved now. Being a physician is all about criticism, especially in the intern and residency years, and you my friend cannot take it. All it will take is one critic and you will snap, you need to look at alternatives aside from associating with patients, maybe you would be better off in research, from what I heard they're running low on prodigies for some years now.

To summarize; Communications.

I don't see the purpose in this thread's revival, but I read it for entertainment. I sincerely hope muscles was a troll. Even in french there is such thing as proper capitalization and sentence structure, and you'd think he would at least have decent spelling if he was as intelligent as he claimed and read Grey's Anatomy.

If anyone does want to go to Harvard med, I can basically say don't count on it. I know a guy who graduated from there a long time ago. He had a stellar GPA, MCAT, and had an olympic gold medal (I can't remember what it was in). He's also a pretty personable guy, but even for him there was fair bit of luck involved in getting admission.

• 7 months later...
Yes, because you've clearly been around long enough to see who gets accepted into medical school and who doesn't.

I graduated from high school with a 97% average, at the top of my class, won a ton of scholarships etc.....I also was convinced that I was going to be a doctor since the age of 10. It was a huge slap in the face when I was rejected from med last year.

I'm sure you're really smart and you're a hard worker, but sorry to break it to you but sometimes that's just not enough.

Oh, and another thing: swearing at people who challenge you won't get you very far in life....especially in a profession that requires you to have good people skills.

QFT

got that same slap...

Archived