Premed 101 Forums

can you apply (for MD) at harvard after mcgill's one year premed?

brainNmuscles

hey

im finishing high school and i plan on going to marianopolis...

can u please tell me,

if my goal was to become a harvard MD/phd...

and if i have SICK grades, outstanding letters of references, a **** load of medicine related extracuriculars a near perfect MCAT score due to many years of prep ;)... a 99% perfect application (if not, what am i missing?)

lets say im accepted to mcgill's pre med.. (but i know for a fact that i want to graduate exclusively from harvard)...

after finishing pre med, could i apply for med at harvard?

or do i absolutely need a UG?

thanks guys,

btw this forum is really incredible, props to all who share their knowledge and experiences

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure that most US med schools actually require a UG degree (but you'd have to check the school website to be sure of what they require). There are a few US schools where you can apply with only 3 years, but most people don't get in without an undergrad degree even at those schools. That's according to what they told us in the pre-med seminar I took at an American university, anyway.

At least three years of college (US college that is, which is our university) work and a baccalaureate degree are required prior to matriculation in Harvard medical school.

So basically you have to graduate from your UG degree first - Harvard is a tough school to get into and they expect long term demonstration of academic ability. Of course that would just make getting accepted that much sweeter when it occurs :)

Do not confuse a good education, a high undergrad GPA with a prestigeous university and do not assume a prestigeous university undergrad degree will get you in medicine.

Quebec has a unque program leading directly from Cegep with one yr UG to med school. If other provinces would not consider the possibility of allowing a Cegep grad into med school, what makes you believe that Harvard would.

It is nice in h.s. to be so positive that you want to graduate from Harvard (med school I assume, and not from UG). BTW, there is a member here who graduated with a bachelor's from Harvard and is now finding difficulkt getting into med school. Why? B/c the GPA is not as high as it would have been if thhe person went elsewhere. If you insist that you only want Harvard, in all likelihood your dreams will be crushed. You need to be both realistic and flexible.

Let's assume you are very bright. This is not enough. so, you go to Marian. Cegep, supposedlt the best, certainly highly competitive (I went there) and high competitive marks for McGill pre med are hard to come by, that is, harder to come by than, for example, going to Dawson where you will do better and, therefore, be more competitive. Either way, let us assume, you end up going to McGill for UG. Again, much harder to achieve a high GPA. Me, I go to Concordia, am a straight A student, and am being prepared for medicine with my course of study and it also gives me a Plan B. A Plan B is absolutely essential as there is a greater supply of excellent candidates for med than seats available. Students with GPA of 3.9 are routinely denied interviews. So, you want to climb the most difficult mountains, thereby reducing your chances. Being accepted into med school is a gift. I cannot imagine you being refused Harvard and being offered another med school and refusing. Recently, a member refused an acceptance b/c he wanted to take a year off and the next yr, as a better candidate, re-applied to the same school - he was refused an interview. Luck p lays a role as does strategic planning and consistent, hard work. And living in Montreal, you want to join the volunteer EMS program in Cote St. Luc, the only such program in the province.

You should delete one or two of your identical threads if you want us to take you seriously and to be a responsible member here.

can u please tell me,

if my goal was to become a harvard MD/phd...

and if i have SICK grades, outstanding letters of references, a **** load of medicine related extracuriculars a near perfect MCAT score due to many years of prep ;)... a 99% perfect application (if not, what am i missing?)

If you construct a well formatted essay outlining these plans you should get early acceptance to Harvard.

I have heard that Harvard is one of the only schools that prefers to accept transfer students into their PhD programs after one year of studies. I guess it reduces the time for them to be tainted by the process of undergraduate education.

Harvard would NEVER accept anyone as immature and foolish as yourself. I had a near 4.0 gpa and 99.9 percentile mcat, and probably had at best a 10-15% chance at Harvard if I applied there.

I suppose you're a troll, but if you are not, may god help us all.

He's a troll yes, but he gave you a chance to flout your grades/MCAT, which I suppose is what you wanted.

hehe, is this an MMI test? If so, I am confident in my conclusion and know how to understand both sides while defending my position, hehe. Nobody is going to push me around, lol, altho many have tried (to their detriment) on this forum. And hmm, with applications around the corner on Jan. 15th, we will see which ones of the four will give me an interview, UDM is my first choice and then, I can learn French, lol, or at least to begin to use what I supposed learned all my years going to French elementary and high school (where all students spoke English during breaks)!

Harvard would NEVER accept anyone as immature and foolish as yourself. I had a near 4.0 gpa and 99.9 percentile mcat, and probably had at best a 10-15% chance at Harvard if I applied there.

I suppose you're a troll, but if you are not, may god help us all.

****, so even if you are near perfect...

what do u mean by immature and foolish? what, you think im one of those kids who say 'im gonna be a doctor when i grow up..' just for the paycheck or for other bs reasons? now, i know what im about to tell you is 'nothing' but im vvery pasionate about medecine... since im 13 i read books about nutrition, ophtalmology, neurology and anatomy, btw im actually reading the 1901 edition of Gray's Anatomy.. being the critic that you seem to be (i have a strong feeling ur gonna say something like 'no life' or 'nerd') i also work out harcore since im 13, i wrestle at the best gym in canada (with GSP, Georges St-Pierre the welterweight UFC champion) and i go clubbing almost everyweek.

i go to one of the best private schools in quebec (i think it was #1 in 2006 or 2003) and im BY FAR the best of ALL my classes (my classmates are ****ing smart, dont worry) btw for the midterms I got 100 in math 536 100 in physics and at least 95 in chemistry.. (to most of my teachers i am a prodigy and to some; the best student they had in their entire career)

see, im not a troll (wtvr that means) lol

..and for my post, 1.i ONLY wanted to KNOW what were the possibilities available with a mcgill premed 2. i only mentionned harvard because, along with john hopkins, its the best university for medical reasearch (what i intend to do) 3. ur ****ing stupid if u think im going to refuse mcgill if im accepted they re the best in neurology and what do i what to become? a neurologist!

all I want from this forum is intelligent advice...

thanks guys

ps: futur_doc how do u delete posts?

So, let me summarize. We have a bright h.s. student who intends to become a physician. He will learn over time that humility is an important attribute and that those with whom he comes in contact will discover his brains n muscles without alerting others to these facts. Generally speaking, people are capable of making their own conclusions about others without being told directly what to think. This high school student will learn humility over time especially when life's plans are given detours as has happened to many of us along the way. There is nothing like a mistake or failure to give us a necessary lesson of our own fallibility. Attaining maturity is a work in progess and occurs over time.

There is defiintely hope for the OP who is new to this forum and I wish him every success in his plans and advise him that he needs to be tolerant of others, helpful to others, have compassion for others and to have flexibility in his plans as we all stumble, sooner of later.

Happy New Year to all!

****, so even if you are near perfect...

what do u mean by immature and foolish? what, you think im one of those kids who say 'im gonna be a doctor when i grow up..' just for the paycheck or for other bs reasons? now, i know what im about to tell you is 'nothing' but im vvery pasionate about medecine... since im 13 i read books about nutrition, ophtalmology, neurology and anatomy, btw im actually reading the 1901 edition of Gray's Anatomy.. being the critic that you seem to be (i have a strong feeling ur gonna say something like 'no life' or 'nerd') i also work out harcore since im 13, i wrestle at the best gym in canada (with GSP, Georges St-Pierre the welterweight UFC champion) and i go clubbing almost everyweek.

i go to one of the best private schools in quebec (i think it was #1 in 2006 or 2003) and im BY FAR the best of ALL my classes (my classmates are ****ing smart, dont worry) btw for the midterms I got 100 in math 536 100 in physics and at least 95 in chemistry.. (to most of my teachers i am a prodigy and to some; the best student they had in their entire career)

see, im not a troll (wtvr that means) lol

..and for my post, 1.i ONLY wanted to KNOW what were the possibilities available with a mcgill premed 2. i only mentionned harvard because, along with john hopkins, its the best university for medical reasearch (what i intend to do) 3. ur ****ing stupid if u think im going to refuse mcgill if im accepted they re the best in neurology and what do i what to become? a neurologist!

all I want from this forum is intelligent advice...

thanks guys

ps: futur_doc how do u delete posts?

Hahaahah, you spelt medicine wrong, you wrote 'wtvr' and what does 'since im 13' mean?

I don't know if you're a prodigy, but your english is prodigiously bad.

Hahaahah, you spelt medicine wrong, you wrote 'wtvr' and what does 'since im 13' mean?

I don't know if you're a prodigy, but your english is prodigiously bad.

lol are we in preliterature101 or in pre med?

u forgot to mention i wrote lol, 'wtf does that mean' y dont u ask..

my first language is french and you must be ****ing stupid or just ****ing weak to ask this retorical question (atack) (yes weak, cause im sort of everyone's 'target', go correct the other fellows, perhaps they have a better shot at me and your analysis would be somewhat usefull...****ing BS)

tell me everyone wrote in perfect english..

it is so funny (im actually laughing) how what I wrote is being analysed with a magnifiying glass

ps: LMAO its a forum, wtf do you expect?

Archived