Premed 101 Forums

PrePharmacy...

Andrew33

Hello,

First of all, I would like to apologize in advance as this isn't really a premed-related topic. I thought I would ask my question here since I've been a long time premed lurker and a lot of you are well-knowledged about everything! :)

I've made up my mind and decided to pursue my career in pharmacy instead of medicine for a number of reasons, some mainly being not enough EC/not very good gpa (~3.6 @ third semester). I just have a few questions in regards to admission to pharmacy schools...

- I know most of the pre-req courses to pharmacy are substantially similar to that of medicine, but do I need to write the PCAT prior to applying for pharmacy? I've been looking through websites like UBC & UAlberta Pharmacy sections, but I haven't seen anything about needing to write the PCAT... unless if I am horribly mistaken.

- I'm not sure if this is correct, but is it true that pre-pharmacy is usually 2 years for students and can be accepted after completing 4 semesters? I heard from a friend of mine that he knows someone in pharmacy who was accepted after his/her first year... I'm not sure how that works since the person could not have possibly completed all the pre-reqs within 2 semesters.

Those are my questions for now, haha. This decision was made just now, so I'm kind of unorganized as you can tell. Sorry again as this isn't pre-med related. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(FYI I'm currently enrolled at the University of Lethbridge going into my 4th semester)

Merry Christmas and happy holidays!!!!

- Andrew

For U of A, you just have to complete the pre requisite courses and you can apply to pharmacy and this can be in first year if they can get the o-chem out of the way - very easy because there are only 7 or 8 pre requisite courses for UA pharmacy. And no PCAT is needed for UA.

Archived