Premed 101 Forums

quick question...

jopchoi

just had a quick question if applying to med schools in the states, do we have to comply with all the prereq's that are set by the university. for example VCU set aside these guidlines

1. English: two semesters. One semester to include grammar and composition.

2. College mathematics: two semesters.

3. Biological science: eight semester hours, including laboratory. This may be satisfied by general biology, general zoology, or botany. No more than half may be botany.

4. General or int

1roductory chemistry: eight semester hours, including laboratory. A portion of this requirement may be met by courses in analytical chemistry or physical chemistry.

5. Organic chemistry: eight semester hours, including laboratory. This course should be equivalent to and acceptable for continued studies in a chemistry major.

6. General or introductory physics: eight semester hours, including laboratory experience.

So do i still have a shot if i completed all of these req's except for teh english and physics or should i complete the english and physics components to have a shot thanks.

just had a quick question if applying to med schools in the states, do we have to comply with all the prereq's that are set by the university. for example VCU set aside these guidlines

1. English: two semesters. One semester to include grammar and composition.

2. College mathematics: two semesters.

3. Biological science: eight semester hours, including laboratory. This may be satisfied by general biology, general zoology, or botany. No more than half may be botany.

4. General or int

1roductory chemistry: eight semester hours, including laboratory. A portion of this requirement may be met by courses in analytical chemistry or physical chemistry.

5. Organic chemistry: eight semester hours, including laboratory. This course should be equivalent to and acceptable for continued studies in a chemistry major.

6. General or introductory physics: eight semester hours, including laboratory experience.

So do i still have a shot if i completed all of these req's except for teh english and physics or should i complete the english and physics components to have a shot thanks.

Yes you have to comply to their requirements. If you don't, you will not be accepted. US schools are pretty serious about this. Its always best to contact schools you are interested in before applying there, especially if you feel that your courses may not fit the exact criteria. For example, I had issues this year with "General Biology" as my school didn't offer it. Some schools said I had to have course that were "General" while others said that any BIOL coded courses would be alright. VCU is one where the requirement isn't "strict" but they still have a list of acceptable BIOLs (the one I am using as prereq is Cell Bio). Prereqs have to be completed before matriculation, but not mandatory to be done before applying. Too many missing prereqs may be harmful, but only a few missing shouldn't hurt.

Archived