Premed 101 Forums

List of external scholarships for US med

wrighm6

Hey everyone!

First off, congrats on all the acceptances so far and good luck to all those waiting to hear back or preparing for interviews! Now that I have finally joined the ranks of those having been accepted to a US school, I have to start figuring out how to pay off this smorgasbord of tuition. I have read all the threads about loans and ways to finance, but I wish there was a list out there with links to any scholarships that may help Canadian students going to the US for school. I couldn't find any scholarships, but I heard on other posts that there were. Can we start something like this? I know a lot of people would benefit! :D

Hey everyone!

First off, congrats on all the acceptances so far and good luck to all those waiting to hear back or preparing for interviews! Now that I have finally joined the ranks of those having been accepted to a US school, I have to start figuring out how to pay off this smorgasbord of tuition. I have read all the threads about loans and ways to finance, but I wish there was a list out there with links to any scholarships that may help Canadian students going to the US for school. I couldn't find any scholarships, but I heard on other posts that there were. Can we start something like this? I know a lot of people would benefit! :D

oops i just notice that i started a thread about scholarships too.. but i was asking more about the schools themselves... do they give any away??

If a moderator wants to merge these 2 thread its fine by me...

Short answer is yes, but very difficult. It also depends on the school. My friend when I was going through Northwestern had her first year paid but she was some genius. I knew of no one else at NU who had scholarships but there probably were.

The only other guys who had their tuition paid were military guys. Then they sign over their lives for 7 years after residency.

I still haven't started looking for scholarships. But I plan on starting the search/applications pretty soon.

Also, it looks like the CAD is on the rise. Great news for those of us that are about to open LOCs with Canadian banks and are looking to convert this to USD soon.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/canadian-dollar-rises-more-than-a-penny/article1418099/

I answered this in the other thread...not realizing that there is another similar thread here. +1 to moo's answer...but I also pasted my answer from the other thread here:

Yes, US schools do give out scholarships and stipends, but for the schools that I have interviewed at, these scholarships and stipends are mostly available for US citizens.

Canadians also have limited access to many financial aid packages in the US (due to our nationality), and have to resort to LOC or other forms of private loans.

In other words, don't count on US schools to help fund your US education.

Archived