Premed 101 Forums

Shadowing vs. hospital volunteering...what's more important?

Obviously I know both are important...

However, I have about 70 hours total at hospital volunteering in ER and mental health. I recently started shadowing a family doctor for 3 hours a week...

Also i'm at a pediatrist's office about 10 hours a week (albeit I'm doing research there, videotaping infants getting immunized), however, I'm still in that environment and interacting with parents and asking them questions (collecting data).

In the upcoming semester, with my full course load, shadowing, research in pediatrist's office, and studying for MCAT....I was wondering if it would be ok to not volunteer at the hospital? I could push myself to do it...but just wondering if I could get along with out considering the other activities I'm partaking in?

Thanks!

Obviously I know both are important...

However, I have about 70 hours total at hospital volunteering in ER and mental health. I recently started shadowing a family doctor for 3 hours a week...

Also i'm at a pediatrist's office about 10 hours a week (albeit I'm doing research there, videotaping infants getting immunized), however, I'm still in that environment and interacting with parents and asking them questions (collecting data).

In the upcoming semester, with my full course load, shadowing, research in pediatrist's office, and studying for MCAT....I was wondering if it would be ok to not volunteer at the hospital? I could push myself to do it...but just wondering if I could get along with out considering the other activities I'm partaking in?

Thanks!

I would pick whichever interests you more... you have a decent amount of experience in both, and both will benefit your medical school applications (it's hard to say which one is more important for your application because each person has different experiences)...if you only have time for one, pick the one that you enjoy more.

Archived