Premed 101 Forums

Advice on courseload please

I'll be going back to school in September for pre-req's and to raise my GPA. I already have a general arts degree and though my current GPA isn't awful per se, I didn't take a full course load most semesters because I usually took one or two summer courses. Right now I am IP in BC and hopefully IP in Alberta (the 12-month rule is a gift from heaven).

I'm looking for advice on what courseload to take. Is it really worth it to take a full course load? I know most schools take distance credits, so would a combination of in-class and online courses to make a full load be best? Basically, I am balancing wanting to be eligible for as many schools as possible and needing time to work. Thanks!

I'll be going back to school in September for pre-req's and to raise my GPA. I already have a general arts degree and though my current GPA isn't awful per se, I didn't take a full course load most semesters because I usually took one or two summer courses. Right now I am IP in BC and hopefully IP in Alberta (the 12-month rule is a gift from heaven).

I'm looking for advice on what courseload to take. Is it really worth it to take a full course load? I know most schools take distance credits, so would a combination of in-class and online courses to make a full load be best? Basically, I am balancing wanting to be eligible for as many schools as possible and needing time to work. Thanks!

I was ineligible to apply to a number of schools because I took 2 and 3 courses per semester (had babies and all), so be careful.

I have all courses done online so I'm also going to warn you of distance education. While it is a great way to be flexible, you may end up focusing more on your in-class courses if you mix them. With dist. ed. you have to not only read to teach yourself, but to study--so you will end up deluded, thinking "I studied 4hrs today" when you probably "learned" for 4hrs and studied for 0. With dist. ed., I like to promote "all or nothing" OR take one course that you truly enjoy through dist. ed. so that you WILL work at it (or make sure it's really, really simple).

Archived