Premed 101 Forums

applying early and the mcat

Hi, i have read through a lot of threads and posts but can't seem to find the exact answer to my question. I know as Canadians it really helps to apply early, and people here say to submit the primary as early as you can, ie. first week of june. My question is if i submit my primary in the early weeks of june but don't plan on writing my mcat until late july does this put me at a significant disadvantage? Will my applying in june be useless if my mcat marks aren't received until late august? I don't really know the difference in importance of submitting that initial primary compared to being complete with the mcat marks. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Hi, i have read through a lot of threads and posts but can't seem to find the exact answer to my question. I know as Canadians it really helps to apply early, and people here say to submit the primary as early as you can, ie. first week of june. My question is if i submit my primary in the early weeks of june but don't plan on writing my mcat until late july does this put me at a significant disadvantage? Will my applying in june be useless if my mcat marks aren't received until late august? I don't really know the difference in importance of submitting that initial primary compared to being complete with the mcat marks. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

As I understand it, med schools don't consider you complete until they get your mcat score. So although your AMCAS app was prolly verified much earlier, without your mcat they won't actually view your application.

I'm not sure if they would send you a secondary without your mcat though...I would assume they do because most schools don't screen anyway.

As I understand it, med schools don't consider you complete until they get your mcat score. So although your AMCAS app was prolly verified much earlier, without your mcat they won't actually view your application.

This.

If you aren't writing until July that means you aren't receiving your scores until August. As far as I'm concerned, you might as well be applying late as you are going to be at a huge disadvantage no matter what you do due to (above post). You should try and fix this somehow if possible (which I assume it still is). Especially relevant is the fact you are assuming you won't need a retake (and if you do you've just thrown application money down the drain).

I also would like to know this. As i am planning to apply to US for the first time (No previous canadian application although that would likely be irrelevant anyways). My question is: does somebody know What? Why? and How? completing your aplication early is a good thing (please excuse my ignorance).

Is it because you are more likely to get more interview invites which will lead to better chance of getting in?

do they rank people on when they have submit their aplication which goes to show intent ?

Is it just because there are not many people at that stage so they just give interview invites more or less as "freebees"??

Or is it just naturally because as they see more and more application your maynot seem as impressive because each application has its good point?

Is it because after a while they don;t really ahve the time to really review and assess the application and just rush thru it giving invites to those only that have a certain cutoff of marks?

Anyway if somebody could tell me more info about why it is that makes applying early a key thing. I am not questioning this i am just curious... thanks in advance:)

I also would like to know this. As i am planning to apply to US for the first time (No previous canadian application although that would likely be irrelevant anyways). My question is: does somebody know What? Why? and How? completing your aplication early is a good thing (please excuse my ignorance).

Is it because you are more likely to get more interview invites which will lead to better chance of getting in?

do they rank people on when they have submit their aplication which goes to show intent ?

Is it just because there are not many people at that stage so they just give interview invites more or less as "freebees"??

Or is it just naturally because as they see more and more application your maynot seem as impressive because each application has its good point?

Is it because after a while they don;t really ahve the time to really review and assess the application and just rush thru it giving invites to those only that have a certain cutoff of marks?

Anyway if somebody could tell me more info about why it is that makes applying early a key thing. I am not questioning this i am just curious... thanks in advance:)

This thread should be the answer to your question. Third post down by Madz25: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27657

Archived