Premed 101 Forums

FM Interviews - when are they

AZG

I'm attending a U.S med school and want to do Family medicine. I'm currently scheduling my fourth year rotations and was wondering when interviews for family medicine take place. Do students normally take a vacation month to prepare for interviews?

Also, when is it recommended to do away rotations at schools you want to apply to residency for.

Also when do students normally write MCCEE exams?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
I don't think Canadian citizens from US schools need to write the MCCEE. They need to write the MCCQE, like Canadian medical students, but not the MCCEE because the North American schools are licensed under the same "committee" : LCME.

That is correct.

As to rotations, i think it would be best to do it before the deadline to submit LOR's, so you can obtain some from attendings working at the program you want to match.

PM me if you have specific questions.

When I was finishing up in the US, I scheduled the USMLE Step 2 at the same time as the LMCCs and studied for both at the same time. For some reason I found the LMCCs way easier than Step 2. Canadian students get a ton of preparation for the LMCC Part I (overkill IMO). If you are at a US school, you won't get any preparation course or anything for Step 2, because in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. Many Canadian schools have a "back to basics" block in which they review the LMCC material, which like I said, I don't know why it's needed because all you need is a pass on the LMCC and a pass is not that difficult to achieve.

Get the Toronto Notes and just kind of flip through the Public Health and know stuff about the Canadian Health care system. The rest of the stuff you should know from preparing for Step 2. I studied a total of about 4 weeks for the two exams, but definitely not with the same intensity that I had when I studied for Step 1.

As for interviews, they happen usually in January. If you apply to FM, you will get interviews at every single place you apply to so make sure you schedule appropriately. I also applied to anesthesia as a backup and I had to end up canceling most of my anesthesia interviews because I couldn't attend them all in a two week period. Plan wisely and only apply to programs you are seriously considering and 1-2 backups. If you have a pulse, and no serious red flags, you will match into FM with no problems.

Archived