Premed 101 Forums

MCCQE1 and 2

I'm a U.S medical grad and want to apply to residency/practice in Canada. As far as MCCQE1 goes, it is being offered in October 2010 and in May 2011. I'm trying to decide whether I should take it in October or in May. Any recommendations?

Also, how long do people normally take time off to study for these exams? For step1 and step 2, people normally take about 3-5 weeks to study, is this necessary for MCCQE?

THANKS!!

I am not sure programs want to see your scores before your interview, or not. They don't care for Canadians but I am unsure about everyone else. Because they don't need the scores, Canadians typically write the May seating of the MCCQE1 and the October seating of the MCCQE2 (once in year 2 of residency). If you scores earlier, I would suggest the October seating. The difficulty of the test does not differ.

I would venture that most Canadians take anywhere from 1-4 weeks to study. It all depends how familiar you are with the material from clerkship, and less so what you can cram in afterwards.

Good luck!

For IMGs (including the ones coming from US), the score is actually very important. Iknow this b/c i have a few IMG friends who are stuck behind the doors b/c of their low score.. this was not the case a few yrs ago.. so be very careful how u plan for it.

sara kj

For IMGs (including the ones coming from US), the score is actually very important. Iknow this b/c i have a few IMG friends who are stuck behind the doors b/c of their low score.. this was not the case a few yrs ago.. so be very careful how u plan for it.

sara kj

AFAIK, Canadian citizens from US LCME accredited schools are not considered IMGs.

Archived