Premed 101 Forums

R-Score Problem

samsiker

I am currently studying at Marianopolis College in the Health Sciences program, and I have just received my first R-Score grade. It is a low 26.648. My original goal was to get into the McGill pre-med program, but right now the future looks grim...

Do I still have a chance? (My R-score is so low because I really did not pay much attention to my studies, and with all the new freedom, my grades slipped away.)

And if I don't have a chance of getting into pre-med at McGill, what are my options? What are some recommended undergrads?

Been there, done that. My detour to UG is the best thing that happened to me. Try to focus and obtain best grades possible whether Med-Pre is in the cards or not. Good study habits are essential for UG and med!

If you need to to go to UG, look to Concordia, B.Sc. in Exercise Science, Loyola Campus, and consider Specialization in "Clinical" Exercise Physiology.

If you work very hard and enjoy it, a] it won't seem like work, b] you will be an A student and c] you will learn skills as you apply and reinforce your theoretical knowledge by using it with patients.

Join EMS Cote St Luc as a volunteer first responder to 911 calls.

All the above leads to med!

Fellow Marianopolis Grad here... I was in your same situation. Future_doc is right, UG is the best thing that's happened to me. CEGEP was a nightmare but UG was a blessing. I'll say that if I went directly into Med-P, I'd miss out on what is going to be my best 3 years of my life. I just started my UG this September and i've never had this many opportunities. I've grown so much over these past few months.

I can say that I don't regret it one bit.

Study hard. Work hard. It's possible to go into Med-P if you want even with that r-score. It's up to you. Not getting in Med-P is not the end of the world.

As for undergrad, do what you like. I know a few arts students who got into medicine. You don't need a science background. As long as you fufill the pre-reqs (which you will with your CEGEP courses), you're ok.

Archived