Premed 101 Forums

How much worse is June 17th compared to May 1st MCAT?

I'm studying for the May 1st MCAT right now, however, I do have a LOT of other things to do as well (including full time school, 15 research hours weekly, and 7 hrs volunteering/shadowing).

Anyway, I was wondering how much it would put me at a dIsadvantage to write the June 17th if I make sure I have the rest of my application all ready to go?

Thx :)

Not much. By the time your MCAT score would be available, it would still be quite early in the process, as long as you get your transcripts in, and have the application complete. Would of caution is that if you submit, but do poorly on the MCAT, then that likely is considered one year that you applied to those schools and you would be a reapplicant the following year. Of course you could always rewrite the MCAT, but it would cost you a lot of time in the application cycle.

Writing May 1st would be better because:

1) You would know your MCAT score before even submitting.

2) If your score is low, you would still have breathing room to write it again and not have your application in too late.

3) Not having to worry about filling in the application while studying for the MCAT will allow you to adequately write a convincing personal statement (which is very important), fill out the application properly, allow you to do research on schools that you are going to apply to, gather LOR writers and submit transcripts. Having both on the go at the same time is one distraction to the other.

• 3 weeks later...
Not much. By the time your MCAT score would be available, it would still be quite early in the process, as long as you get your transcripts in, and have the application complete. Would of caution is that if you submit, but do poorly on the MCAT, then that likely is considered one year that you applied to those schools and you would be a reapplicant the following year. Of course you could always rewrite the MCAT, but it would cost you a lot of time in the application cycle.

Writing May 1st would be better because:

1) You would know your MCAT score before even submitting.

2) If your score is low, you would still have breathing room to write it again and not have your application in too late.

3) Not having to worry about filling in the application while studying for the MCAT will allow you to adequately write a convincing personal statement (which is very important), fill out the application properly, allow you to do research on schools that you are going to apply to, gather LOR writers and submit transcripts. Having both on the go at the same time is one distraction to the other.

keith_015 you're so smart

Archived