Premed 101 Forums

bus fares

Guest gori21

Guest gori21

Hi,

I will be starting meds at UWO in September.....I just wanted to know if anyone knew what a return bus ticket from London to Toronto costs (any bus service).

Thanks

I heard from someone (I can't remember who exactly) that you could get return bus tickets for around $30, but I'm not sure which company that's with. I think Greyhound has a student discount, but beyond that, I have no clue. I think I checked VIA rail and it was around $80-90 round trip, so I'm hoping the $30 is correct :eek

Guest satsumargirl

If you live in TO and will be making the trip there at least 3 times during the year you can buy a via 6-pack once you get your ISIC card (free for grad students at UWO....don't know about undergrads, but the fee would be small probably). When you buy a 6-pack you get 50% off I believe. It's been a few years since I've used these but my sister just bought a pack and I think she said it worked out to about $30 each way??

So you may want to double check via....might be a nicer ride for about the same money and won't get caught in traffic etc. Although....for some reason the via to London is often not on time.

Guest CalicoKal

Other things to consider: Transportation TO the train or bus station. Cab fare? Bus service?

The train is a much more "luxe" way of travelling. They sell you coffee, there's a washroom, big seats: I would highly recommend the train over the bus any day.

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on when you want to leave, the bus travels far more frequently than the train. Another thing to consider is that the greyhound bus leaves from campus at certain times on Friday afternoons, and returns to campus if you catch the right one from Bay and Dundas Sunday evening. If you time it right you won't have to find transportation to and from downtown London.

the bus station and train station are literally 4 blocks down the street from each other... you take the 6 richmond downtown to york street and either turn right down two blocks to the bus station or left two blocks to the train station.

Guest jasonsyu

I've been taking the train home to brampton from London a few times this summer on weekends... here is the deal with that.

You can get a one way train ticket for 25 bucks (tax not included) if you either order a few weeks in advance OR have an ISIC card. The ISIC card is 16 bucks if youre an undergrad (I think med students are) and what it does is it gives you the lowest price even if you order your ticket the day of your trip. I think VIA rail hikes its fares as the departure date approaches...so while you can get a 25 dollar ride if you RSVP in advance, at some point the price can go up to 30 or 40 bucks. (winging it here, the first time it happened to me i decided to order the rest of my tickets in advance ;P)

Ergo the ISIC card is worth it if you find yourself often making last minute train trips. As for greyhound, ive havent taken it recently but it has to be cheaper than the train.

Archived