Premed 101 Forums

Purchasing Computer

Guest InspectorKewl

Guest InspectorKewl

Quick question:

Do you guys think it's OK just to purchase a desktop computer, or would a laptop be the wiser choice (taking into consideration both longevity, user-friendliness, and budget)? Any input from current med students would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Guest CalicoKal

I made this decision back when I started my undergrad degree. I bought a desktop and SHOULD have bought a laptop. At the end of the year I was so frustrated I returned my computer (leased from a campus computer store) and got a laptop.

Really think long and hard about:

-where you study (home then desktop is good, elsewhere, then laptop might be better)

-transportability of files: do you want to be able to take everything with you when you go away for a weekend?

With respect to longevity/quality, etc. I think it's fair to say that you can get a really good computer for your needs at a good price in both desktop and laptop versions. It really just comes down to what you want the most. I've heard that there is wireless internet in the medsci building, so maybe you'll want to be able to crack open your laptop and check your email during class or something?

Guest Anish  P

Hey, I too was debating between buying a desktop and laptop... and I opted for the laptop option.

The main reason was portability. I can have all my files, documents, e-mail, etc. on the laptop, which I can take wherever I go (school, home on the weekend, etc.).

Plus...

1. It seems like we'll be doing a fair bit of studying at school. If you aren't going to buy your textbooks, you'll have to rent them from the campus library... which means most likely you'll be doing your studying there as opposed to at home... so being able to bring your laptop to school is fairly convienient (not so much if you had a desktop).

2. On those Wednesdays when we have the PCL small group sessions, I assume we'll be doing some sort of research in the library (or at school, in general). Having a laptop handy to check out google, papers online, etc. would probably be useful.

However, its not like you *need* to have a laptop. I'm sure there are lots of computer on campus... isn't there even a computer lab solely designated for med students?

I guess the main downside to having a laptop would be that they are more costly, both in terms of buying it initially and paying for any future repair/maintenance work (if anything goes wrong). You can get a decent machine for around $1000-$1500, especially if you go through the CMA and get a Dell laptop, as people were talking about in that other thread...

Anish

I personally prefer desktops, and it was perfectly fine during the first 3 years of med school. The Learning Resource Centre at school is open 24 hours and has a huge # of new computers for you to use.

In the end, I opted for a laptop before 4th year because I wanted my own computer when away on electives. My old 17" monitor is 40 pounds and it's always a pain to move around. For those with the new LCD monitors it's not as big a deal. I'm also doing some 4th year electives out of province (I obviously won't be lugging a desktop on the plane), and bringing a laptop means I don't have to worry about finding where the computer lab is, when it's open, whether I have access, etc. while I work on my CaRMS app.

I just sold my laptop that I had since the beginning of undergrad today. I probably took advantage of its portability only like a dozen times in all of four years, and half were probably taking it to the library to circumvent the downloading quotas on resnet. With computers easily accessible nearby in libraries and other places, there was little point in carrying a laptop around, not to mention the need to deal with security, weight, bulk, and heat when it was actually on my lap. And upgrading and repairing is always a pain with laptops and more expensive.

To check emails midday I'm sure library computers will be more than enough. If you want to carry your files around you can get a USB key and load them onto that. Capacities up to 1 GB are really cheap. Desktops are a lot easier on the wallet, eyes, and hands (bigger screens and better keyboards).

Personally, I think laptops are only really useful if you are extremely cramped for space or will be without access to home for days at a time. I'd say out-of-province electives fit that bill, but if that's in fourth year you might as well wait till then to buy a laptop, given how quickly it will become outdated (my laptop was the flagship Sony VAIO four years ago and now it's an eyesore and a pain to use - poor resolution, no wireless, heavy...).

So I recommend a desktop. If you absolutely have to have some form of mobility you can use the money you save to buy a wireless-enabled PDA. With that you can check email, surf the web, and edit Office documents (you can get a foldable wireless keyboard) anywhere there's wireless access in a much smaller and lighter package.

Archived