Premed 101 Forums

Interview invites

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got the email today.

My GPA is 3.12 (low I know, I was surprised to get invited)

This is my first application to med school, I grew up in northern ontario, and have an engineering degree. Anyone else with a GPA as low as mine? :P

I got an interview invite yesterday too with a GPA of 3.3! I grew up in Northern Ontario and think I had pretty interesting responses to the questions to compensate for my low GPA.

Would love to meet up with other interviewees in the GTA for practice interviews!

Was pretty surprised yesterday to get a rejection email!

My appy last year was thrown together quickly before the deadline as I had originally not intended to apply that year. I was granted an interview at NOSM.

This year I substantially beefed up my application adding several fantastic volunteer experiences, finished my degree, and even bumped up my GPA by a whopping 0.01 :) (3.70 - 3.71).

So, either a strong pool this year (at least relative to last year) or the subjectivity of the marking of those questions is really shining through. I feel my answers were stronger than last years!

Anyhow, that being said, this is the push I needed to finally pull the trigger on starting my masters. This will give me something to sink my teeth into and should get me into med school for the 2013 class, haha. :)

Was pretty surprised yesterday to get a rejection email!

My appy last year was thrown together quickly before the deadline as I had originally not intended to apply that year. I was granted an interview at NOSM.

This year I substantially beefed up my application adding several fantastic volunteer experiences, finished my degree, and even bumped up my GPA by a whopping 0.01 :) (3.70 - 3.71).

So, either a strong pool this year (at least relative to last year) or the subjectivity of the marking of those questions is really shining through. I feel my answers were stronger than last years!

Anyhow, that being said, this is the push I needed to finally pull the trigger on starting my masters. This will give me something to sink my teeth into and should get me into med school for the 2013 class, haha. :)

That's really too bad--did you apply anywhere else?

I got an interview invite yesterday too with a GPA of 3.3! I grew up in Northern Ontario and think I had pretty interesting responses to the questions to compensate for my low GPA.

Would love to meet up with other interviewees in the GTA for practice interviews!

I am at the University of Toronto downtown campus, and would love to meet to practice for the MMI. Maybe over reading week?

Woohoo! Got an invite! Was out of the country for a few days so I didn't check my inbox until just now.

GPA - over 4.0 due to the 0.2 addition for Master's :)

Grew up in a small town in Northern Ontario

EC's - lots

Interviewed last year in Sudbury. Asked to interview this year in Thunder Bay since I've never been :)

Good luck to everyone!

That's really too bad--did you apply anywhere else?

I did not. I know NOSM is the school I want to go to--I've even moved to Sudbury (bought a house!) to be close by. My day will come, but for now, I will look into getting my MA in Psychology. Looks like it can be done online in about 2~ years. At least that will get me back into academia so I can dive into some books and papers. I've been going stir crazy since I finished school last April! Moving to Sudbury, buying the house, getting a dog and starting a new job was all good... but now I need more. Sadly NOSM won't be filling that void this year, but someday, hopefully...

If anyone who is interviewing in Thunder Bay, and is unfamiliar with the city, and has questions, please just ask. Also, I interviewed last year and am therefore somewhat familiar with the process etc - again, please just ask. I will try my best and be as helpful as possible.

Woohoo! Got an invite! Was out of the country for a few days so I didn't check my inbox until just now.

GPA - over 4.0 due to the 0.2 addition for Master's :)

Grew up in a small town in Northern Ontario

EC's - lots

Interviewed last year in Sudbury. Asked to interview this year in Thunder Bay since I've never been :)

Good luck to everyone!

Now....how does everyone know where they are interviewing? That was not in my email.

I did not. I know NOSM is the school I want to go to--I've even moved to Sudbury (bought a house!) to be close by. My day will come, but for now, I will look into getting my MA in Psychology. Looks like it can be done online in about 2~ years. At least that will get me back into academia so I can dive into some books and papers. I've been going stir crazy since I finished school last April! Moving to Sudbury, buying the house, getting a dog and starting a new job was all good... but now I need more. Sadly NOSM won't be filling that void this year, but someday, hopefully...

Try, try again :)

Now....how does everyone know where they are interviewing? That was not in my email.

Well I don't know for sure but way back when I filled in the OMSAS application, there was an option to request to be interviewed at one campus over the other. Last year I asked to be interviewed in Sudbury and this year I asked for Thunder Bay. So I'm hoping I'll get what I asked for :)

Well I don't know for sure but way back when I filled in the OMSAS application, there was an option to request to be interviewed at one campus over the other. Last year I asked to be interviewed in Sudbury and this year I asked for Thunder Bay. So I'm hoping I'll get what I asked for :)

Ah ha, okay--lol, I chose "no preference" at that time (now I have one! LOL).

I'm interviewing in Thunder Bay on April 11 >> already received my package in the mail (real mail) yesterday. They are fast.

Newfie snail mail--I'll get mine next month. Lol, j/k. Should be here soon.

They are extremely fast with emails too--I remember emailing them at about 1am NL time and I received a response at 2am (Which means they were up in the middle of the night...lol).

Hi guys,

if anyone's received the package, I have a q for ya. They want us to return the campus preference form and the itnerview response document either by fax or e-mail. So I guess I'm going to fax it, but just wondering how one would e-mail it if they wanted to. Would this involve a scanned copy?

Thanks!

Archived