Premed 101 Forums

MOTP boot camp - basic question

Yes you will have to go through basic training. However, due to our shorter summer breaks, the general 14 week training is split into two 7 week programs. One is done as soon as they can fit you in (they still have to give you holidays so they may not be able to fit you in on your first summers). I'm a first year MOTP and I found out a couple weeks ago that my upcoming summer is too short to have me go to basic :( I wanted to go and get my ass kicked into shape for seven weeks. Instead I have to do Employment While Awaiting Training (EWAT) and do some kind of research/volunteer/shadowing experience.

I'm an infantry reservist right now and I was considering MOTP when the time comes. Is it a pretty competitive program to get accepted into?

Lately there has been a selection process for MOTP applicants because there are only a limited number of seats. The incentives have recently changed and there is no longer a signing bonus associated with this MOSID (best to confirm that with a recruiter). I'm not sure how the numbers will be for future applications, but I know several people that applied with me that were not selected. If you have reservist experience that would be a great asset in your application and would probably make you very competitive.

Yes you will have to go through basic training. However, due to our shorter summer breaks, the general 14 week training is split into two 7 week programs. One is done as soon as they can fit you in (they still have to give you holidays so they may not be able to fit you in on your first summers). I'm a first year MOTP and I found out a couple weeks ago that my upcoming summer is too short to have me go to basic :( I wanted to go and get my ass kicked into shape for seven weeks. Instead I have to do Employment While Awaiting Training (EWAT) and do some kind of research/volunteer/shadowing experience.

Thanks for the info all :)

I'd rather do the full 14 week training though

I should preface, this is based on experience in the CF but not in any part of the MOTP.

There aren't really physical standards once you're in. In terms of PT, there are exercises to perform, and as long as you give it your all you're good to go. When it comes to stuff in the field, even as infantry there really isn't that much strength-based stuff to do. Anyone can dig a trench. Anyone can carry a machine gun and ammo. Soldiering is largely about endurance. It helps if your strength-to-weight ratio is good, as it's tough to climb a rope if you're of average strength but above-average weight, but otherwise I've never really seen any instances where a woman brought down the section because she wasn't strong enough or something. I doubt they'd really stick it to you doing MOTP basic training, anyway. The last thing they want to do is get you people really stressed out and hating your life before you even start working.

I spoke with an MOTP recruiter today, and it is true that there is no longer a signing bonus. Also, with respect to how many apply/are turned away, in a typical year between 15 and 20 will apply. This year they will only be accepting between 4 and 6 people to the MOTP program, since the CF has met its requirements for docs. Concerning how being a reservist makes you more competitive, it certainly helps a lot, especially if you have strong course reviews and your sergeants/warrants have good things to say about you. They like leadership activities and athletics. I'm hoping that the work I've done with varsity swimming and as a reservist medic will help me out in my applications :P.

I've had my medic application in for years now and nothing. It sucks because I'm in an infantry regiment and I think we have two or three medics attached on paper, but they never show up. Plus I'm a paramedic anyway, so I'm more experienced and qualified than one of them, anyway. I'd love it to be able to go out into the bush and do all the infantry stuff, but actually have the tools at hand in case something were to happen and an injury occurred or whatever.

But good news for the course review thing. I knew being TC would be good for something.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to clarify some points here. MOTP mbrs will do their Basic Officer Training Course (phase I and II) at CFLRS in St. Jean over summer months, one phase per summer. It is not an NCO basic course, and there is no guarantee that your course will be all CF Health Svcs pers. Given the tight summer schedules of med school, you'll be slotted into any BOTC that fits best.

There have been BOTC courses run at Borden exclusively for CF H Svcs pers in the past but I'm not sure whether this is still happening or not. As it currently stands for MOTP/MMTP's in my area, Borden is not an option.

Archived