Premed 101 Forums

Attention Non-Lifesci/Bio Queen's Students!

Guest hickfromsticks

Guest hickfromsticks

Here's the deal:

Okay, so I emailed admissions to ask if my chemistry/orgo courses count toward the organic chemistry prereq's required by Western. I currently have CHEM 211, CHEM 212, and CHEM 245. I thought that these should meet the required prerequisites, but I got an email back from Darla saying that the organic chem courses that were acceptable as prereq's were CHEM 280, 281, 282, 283, and 288. This is a problem because non-lifesci/non-bio students are not allowed to take these courses, and CHEM 211 and 212 are actually exemptions for 280, 281, and 288. Furthermore, I don't think that 283 is even offered any more. I emailed Western with this whole dilemma just over 2 weeks ago, but they have not responded...

Is there anyone in this boat (biochem/chem students?) who has conversed with the admissions people? Should I remain patient and expect an answer in the near future?

Thanks in advance,

hickfromsticks

Guest katie84

You are not alone. I did biochem at Queen's and took Chem 211, 212, and 223. I was also told by Darla 2 weeks ago that my orgo didn't qualify. As we only need half a credit, I chose to fight on 223, which is called Organic Reactions. I tried to explain the exclusion thing, and that these are the courses that Chem majors/Chem Eng students take, but Darla didn't sound too impressed. Two weeks ago I got my 223 prof to send an email describing the nature of the course, but have had no reply from Western as of yet. Last week I called and was told that Darla had received the email but hadn't looked at it yet.

I don't think we should worry too much though. We have definitely taken half a credit in organic chemistry. If they still have problems with it, I'm going to ask the undergrad chair of Chem (Dr. Whitney, he's apparently really helpful) to write a letter explaining the nature of the curriculum.

If it's not on the 'acceptable' list you need to make a formal appeal to have it reviewed and added. No amount of reasoning, comparing course descriptions, letters from undergrad chairs will change your position unless you go through the formal review process.

I went through the same thing from another school: I took the chem eng equivalent (the science version that was on the acceptable list) for diploma reasons and even the undergrad chair writing in stating that they were direct substitutes was not sufficient.

Guest katie84

I heard back from Darla at last, and they have decided to accept 223 (this was based on a professor's email and a course outline). I'm sure you could get them to accept 245 as well. Get your prof to email that you have taken the courses required for your program and that you are not allowed to take Chem 280/281/282. Explain that Chem 280/281/282 are designed for students who do not intend to continue studies in Chemistry, and cannot serve as prerequisites for future Chemistry courses, while your course qualifies you to continue in Chemistry. I think the main problem is that these courses were brand new when we took them, and this is the first Western has heard of them.

Archived