Premed 101 Forums

Consideration of second undergrad degree at Cdn schools

Hey guys,

I'd like to start a thread that outlines how second degrees are considered by each Canadian med school--from length of degree acceptable to how marks are (or are not) calculated across degrees to which grades count across multiple undergrads or combos of undergrad and grad degrees.

I have tried to search for a 'go to' thread solely on this subject but so far I am only finding a little info here and there. If any of you who have gone the second undergrad route could contribute it would be awesome.

Like Law's thread on grad student admissions, hopefully it could become a sticky that could be updated as time goes by.

Thanks in advance,

LL

First, from OMSAS 2010 booklet:

The following courses of study are not normally included in the OMSAS GPA: -naturopathic and chiropractic medicine,

-consecutive Bachelor of Education programs,

-college courses (even if transfer credit is granted)

-challenge for credit courses

-diploma or certificate programs

-graduate courses

-undergraduate courses taken as part of a graduate program

My first question is how are 2 year B.Ed degrees considered from provinces outside of Ontario? Can anyone comment?

Some info contributed by supafield about a month ago (Jan 2010) regarding Ontario schools: http://premed101.com/forums/showpost.php?p=410916&postcount=15

Queen's - cGPA = all classes but they also have a most recent 2 year gpa which you can use whenever.... (I got an interview last year using the 1st year of my new degree and 4th year of my old one)

- Also, you do not need to have completed the second degree prior to entering their class.

U.W.O. - takes your best 2 years but they must come from the same degree and if they'll only allow you into next years class if you'll be completing your 2nd undergraduate that current year. (You can't leave your new degree unfinished).

UofT - looks at all courses. They have a weighting system which maxes out at 4 years. I took 6 years of undergrad but they still will only drop my worst 4.

Mac - Every course ever taken

N.O.S.M. - once you complete the 2nd undergraduate, they'll use the 2nd undergrad gpa only (if it is better of course). I'm not sure what their policy is on a 2nd degree in process.

Ottawa - last 3 years weighted, and these can span two degrees.

Calgary:

From the application booklet 2009-2010

You must have completed at least two (2) years of full-time university education (no less than 4 full courses or 8 half per session, September to April) by the time of admission to this medical school, and must have achieved a minimum grade point average (3.20/4.00 for AB applicants, 3.60/4.00 for out of province applicants)

-best two years are considered from all years completed

-these years do not have to be consecutive nor do they have to be the most recent

-students enrolled in advanced degrees (aka grad degrees) may count full-time study in their degree provided at least one-half (½) course has been completed and a grade has been awarded during the year(s) of full-time study

My take is that if you take a 2nd undergrad, each of your best years could come from any combination of degrees. However, for file evaluation/scoring your overall academic record from all degrees is considered.

Really? It maxes out at 4 years? where did you hear that?

I did not find it out...I just cut and paste from supafield's recent post.

Hopefully mrnursing gives us an update. If he does not reply and if I can't find the info on the websites and no one else confirms, I will contact the source directly.

I thought that if you did more full time years, you'd be able to drop more courses? I'm doing a second undergrad, so I now have almost 6 years of undergrad... so I thought that my lowest 6 full credits would be dropped.

I know that they still consider your marks from the first undergrad and it will never completely go away, but in all my reading, I've never seen this max 4 drops thing. I'm just worried if this is true! I'd like to get a solid source on this!

But then...how does weighting apply should it be a consideration for multiple degree applicants?

From the same link as posted by nemesis:

Application after completing at least three years of university education

Applicants who have taken a full course load in every year

A GPA weighting formula may be used for students who have completed at least three years of university study and have taken a full course load (i.e., five full credits), during the regular academic session, in each of their academic years.

GPA will be calculated eliminating one full-course equivalent grade per full year of study. Students applying after completion of three years of study will have their lowest 3 full-course equivalent grades removed from the GPA calculation, after completion of four years, their lowest 4 full-course equivalent grades, etc. We remove lowest overall grades, not lowest grades in each year of study.

http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39204

LostLamb, from reading this, it seems as you already have your masters?

I think that once you finish a grad degree, the grades from the 2nd undergrad degree taken afterwards become moot (They'll only look at marks from 1st undergrad and grad) for some of the med schools.

Might want to do some research on it...

http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39204

LostLamb, from reading this, it seems as you already have your masters?

I think that once you finish a grad degree, the grades from the 2nd undergrad degree taken afterwards become moot (They'll only look at marks from 1st undergrad and grad) for some of the med schools.

Might want to do some research on it...

That's why this thread exists! :)

Yes, I have a grad degree.

GPA will be calculated eliminating one full-course equivalent grade per full year of study. Students applying after completion of three years of study will have their lowest 3 full-course equivalent grades removed from the GPA calculation, after completion of four years, their lowest 4 full-course equivalent grades, etc. We remove lowest overall grades, not lowest grades in each year of study.

From this wording, it would seem that the number of FCEs that Toronto will drop is based on the number of years of full-time undergraduate study.

Therefore, I'd think that after completing 5 full-years of undergraduate study, Toronto would drop your lowest overall 5 FCE etc.

There is no mention of a maximum number of FCE that are allowed to be dropped.

I thought that if you did more full time years, you'd be able to drop more courses? I'm doing a second undergrad, so I now have almost 6 years of undergrad... so I thought that my lowest 6 full credits would be dropped.

I know that they still consider your marks from the first undergrad and it will never completely go away, but in all my reading, I've never seen this max 4 drops thing. I'm just worried if this is true! I'd like to get a solid source on this!

I'd believe this to be accurate.

From this wording, it would seem that the number of FCEs that Toronto will drop is based on the number of years of full-time undergraduate study.

Therefore, I'd think that after completing 5 full-years of undergraduate study, Toronto would drop your lowest overall 5 FCE etc.

There is no mention of a maximum number of FCE that are allowed to be dropped.

I'd believe this to be accurate.

Yes. I think so too!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived