Premed 101 Forums

3.5 with 34 might have to reapply

bona_verba

Significantly improve or change up your ECs and clinical experience (although with such a short period before the next opening for AMCAS submission). Get somebody to look at your Primary and look for places to improve. Multiple time applying is frowned upon (so I hear) so if you are going to do it a 3rd time you have to make it significantly better if you are not a 1st time applicant to a school.

Don't fret just yet. Some schools interview late. 2 members just heard from NYMC in the past couple days about interviews. Hang tight.

Hello,

So, I have pretty solid ECs.

Two interviews last year, both waitlists

Hearing nothing this year.

Might have to apply a third time.

Any suggestions on what I can do for the year?

Significantly improve or change up your ECs and clinical experience (although with such a short period before the next opening for AMCAS submission). Get somebody to look at your Primary and look for places to improve. Multiple time applying is frowned upon (so I hear) so if you are going to do it a 3rd time you have to make it significantly better if you are not a 1st time applicant to a school.

Don't fret just yet. Some schools interview late. 2 members just heard from NYMC in the past couple days about interviews. Hang tight.

what would you consider clinical experience?

That's a hard one. From what I've read on SDN, some schools don't accept or look at updates so whatever you would do during the waiting process could be all for nothing. Main goal would be to get your Primary as good as possible, have other US applicants/matriculants look at it, and maybe do the same for secondaries.

Edit for Magi:

Hospital volunteering either urban or rural, helping out in clinics, nursing homes. Perhaps even one of those trips down to Central America doing clinical volunteering.

That's a hard one. From what I've read on SDN, some schools don't accept or look at updates so whatever you would do during the waiting process could be all for nothing. Main goal would be to get your Primary as good as possible, have other US applicants/matriculants look at it, and maybe do the same for secondaries.

Edit for Magi:

Hospital volunteering either urban or rural, helping out in clinics, nursing homes. Perhaps even one of those trips down to Central America doing clinical volunteering.

i'm actually thinking of doing something along the lines of public health or health care development work.

so not just volunteering but actually being a part of the development of innovative strategies to improve health care delivery.

anyone here have any ideas on where to start to look for something like that?

i'm actually thinking of doing something along the lines of public health or health care development work.

so not just volunteering but actually being a part of the development of innovative strategies to improve health care delivery.

anyone here have any ideas on where to start to look for something like that?

Many people are doing Masters in Public Health right now to get into that kind of work. I was talking with a few people yesterday who were considering it, but said the job market is getting saturated with qualified people now. It may be hard if you don't have a masters.

Many people are doing Masters in Public Health right now to get into that kind of work. I was talking with a few people yesterday who were considering it, but said the job market is getting saturated with qualified people now. It may be hard if you don't have a masters.

makes sense

i guess i would have to create a market for my own job

any tips on rewriting an mcat after 3 years ?

is it still easy to do the PS and BS sections after not having taken organic chem, physics, general chemistry, and all in a while?

makes sense

i guess i would have to create a market for my own job

any tips on rewriting an mcat after 3 years ?

is it still easy to do the PS and BS sections after not having taken organic chem, physics, general chemistry, and all in a while?

I did my last MCAT in Aug 2009 after writing last in 2006. The difficulty is all in how you make it. I worked on making my own notes and practicing the harder concepts a long time before writing because I was working full time so I had limited study time to allocate. I didn't find it any more difficult than the last time, except for relearning concepts which you may not have seen in uni at all. My bane was always VR, but I was able to get a 10 this past time so I was happy with myself. Overall, my best score was my last, after that 3 year difference. I actually scored identically on the sciences. Place the most emphasis on the foreign or harder concepts for yourself, and a lot of the rest of it should be easy to rehash.

Archived