Premed 101 Forums

Interview strategy

VTeight7

Not sure if this should go in the interviews section, but I figured I'd post here because it's us-specific.

I'm trying to figure out what to say if they ask me about my ideas for health care reform. Would they be more impressed if I quoted political figures' speeches and plans (ex. Obama), or if I quoted stats and figures I got from actual studies, when it comes to why I think my idea for health care reform will work? I'm torn about whether keeping up-to-date politically vs scientifically will impress the interviewers. Thanks!

Not sure if this should go in the interviews section, but I figured I'd post here because it's us-specific.

I'm trying to figure out what to say if they ask me about my ideas for health care reform. Would they be more impressed if I quoted political figures' speeches and plans (ex. Obama), or if I quoted stats and figures I got from actual studies, when it comes to why I think my idea for health care reform will work? I'm torn about whether keeping up-to-date politically vs scientifically will impress the interviewers. Thanks!

both.

usually. they will ask you to compare canada and the states. and the states is "kinda" heading towards the canadian direction.. or at least trying to in some sense.

why u like canada? why u dislike canada? why u like states?

specific data and stats is nice, but its more of what you think, and how you support it (not necessarily via stats but experiences are good too)

I thought USA med interviews were laid back?? And they just looking to get to know you better...

:confused:

also involves what you feel of medicine right? thats also getting to know you!

not all med interviews are laid back. usually depends on interviewer.

but definitely not as QandA based as Ontario ones (at least those that I have heard of)

Yes! That's exactly what I'm trying to prepare for.

I guess I will try to use stats and political quotes. Thanks bannie22

I didn't use political quotes, but I did certainly used quite a bit of stats (It helped that the morning of my interview, I was watching the news right before I left my hotel and there was this segment about how the state insurance is suddenly cutting down on coverage or something rather). I think the important thing here is that you know the problems that the US health care system is facing and you do express that you feel there's a need for it to change (because according to some stats, most of the doctors in the states do feel that there has to be change). You don't have to go in with a 12 step plan to revamp their health system in 10 years or w/e

I tended to focus on two aspects:

1. Cost control --> need to bring costs down

2. Equality --> Everything should have health care

I summarized by talking about rationalization --> doing the most with what they've got, designing more studies of comparative effectiveness (particularly for expensive drugs), EHR.

I tended to focus on two aspects:

1. Cost control --> need to bring costs down

2. Equality --> Everything should have health care

I summarized by talking about rationalization --> doing the most with what they've got, designing more studies of comparative effectiveness (particularly for expensive drugs), EHR.

Just so you know, as a CM resident, we focus a lot on EQUITY, not equality. EQUITY means everybody has equal access according to need. Equality means equal access for everybody regardless of need. So, the healthy 20 year old male does not need to be screened for DM, cholesterol, etc. (unless they have risk factors) but a 50 year old will need to be. This is the way to control costs and is more than just semantics.

Just so you know, as a CM resident, we focus a lot on EQUITY, not equality. EQUITY means everybody has equal access according to need. Equality means equal access for everybody regardless of need. So, the healthy 20 year old male does not need to be screened for DM, cholesterol, etc. (unless they have risk factors) but a 50 year old will need to be. This is the way to control costs and is more than just semantics.

:D :D :D :D

i totally agree

i lambasted the canadian system for being too free.

but i dont have time to explain now. will explain later.

Yes! That's exactly what I'm trying to prepare for.

I guess I will try to use stats and political quotes. Thanks bannie22

It's a great idea to have some stats prepared, but just be careful not to overdo it. Otherwise, you'll just end up sounding like a textbook rather than having a conversation.

Good luck on your interview! What school is this, if I may ask?

It's a great idea to have some stats prepared, but just be careful not to overdo it. Otherwise, you'll just end up sounding like a textbook rather than having a conversation.

Good luck on your interview! What school is this, if I may ask?

Yes, I am trying to strike a balance between stats & quotes - it's difficult. Thanks, this is for my EVMS interview on Friday - they're notorious for grilling applicants on health care reform ideas.

A good convo piece may be that Obama is getting the health care reform amended so that the gov't won't sell insurance. This was announced yesterday. Could be a selling point for the Republicans leading to possible passage.

I've heard of this, and even though it will be GREAT ammo during my interview, I'm not sure I want to sit up on Thursday night and read about the outcome of the health care summit that happens that day. Darn timing..

What if I don't have personal experience with the US healthcare system? I have to know about it somehow.

okay yes. but then i didnt really know stats. the healthcare bill isnt what they are looking for i believe. its more of what u feel is the best type of health care service.

but if ualready knw them use them

Just be careful with quotes since they might get you in trouble. Example, you quote Obama and it seems to the interviewer that you drank the Obama cool-aid, but he is very conservative.... could make him a little annoyed. At my IU interview, the doc was pretty evil and everything I said led to him mocking my comment. I basically had to alter the way I answered everything so that he didn't jump down my throat. In my experience at least, it was always better to be a bit more neutral in interviews than you might be in real life (I said something I liked about the reform bills, but then countered with certain issues I had as well so in the end they couldn't tell for sure where I stood politically but they did know what proposals I liked and didn't like). Seemed to work well.

I've read different approaches on SDN where people say that as long as you express yourself logically, they won't care what you personal opinions are. So I suppose you just have to be comfortable with your approach. I personally didn't feel comfortable being too partisan.

Just a heads up for anyone going to the states for an interview in the next little while. Maybe be aware of this news story:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/its-my-health-its-my-choice-danny-williams-says/article1477872/?cmpid=1

Americans seem to know about it, and it's been reported by news outlets down there over the last month. Definitely pertinent (and a good example to use) in a discussion of Canadian vs. American systems.

Just a heads up for anyone going to the states for an interview in the next little while. Maybe be aware of this news story:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/its-my-health-its-my-choice-danny-williams-says/article1477872/?cmpid=1

Americans seem to know about it, and it's been reported by news outlets down there over the last month. Definitely pertinent (and a good example to use) in a discussion of Canadian vs. American systems.

hohoho sdn had a field day with that.

What if I don't have personal experience with the US healthcare system? I have to know about it somehow.

VTeight,

Good luck on your interview...

I interviewed at EVMS last year and am not sure if much has changed, but here are a few thoughts that might help:

- Re: US vs Canada differences... Bear in mind that VA is generally a pretty conservative state and you could very well end up being interviewed by one or more people who are very opposed to Obama and/or reform or see nothing wrong with the current system. In my opinion, it's a fine balance between being able to stick up for what you believe in and also being aware of and acknowledging the counter points. Personally, I very much believe in universal coverage, but acknowledged in interviews that neither system is perfect and discussed the pros and cons of both and where I thought both needed improvement. I would anticipate questions about Cdns who don't want to wait for care coming to the US or some other question about needing to wait for care in Canada. You don't need experience with the US system, but maybe think about your own experiences in Canada (personally or family members), what was good, what wasn't etc...

- Re: EVMS.... Make sure you can answer why you want to go to the US and why EVMS. I was asked specifically 'why would a nice Canadian like me want to go to school in VA?' I explained that the US had always opened more doors for me and had more opportunities available. If you don't know a lot about the US system, maybe express interest in learning/experiencing it. The folks at EVMS are very friendly, the interview is laid back (for me it was one faculty member, one community member and one med student) and their students seem very happy there and a very cohesive group. The clinical facilities are impressive and EVMS is VERY proud of their use of standardized patients in the preclinical years. They use them very extensively right from the beginning of med school, giving their students excellent exposure to patient interviewing and clinical exam skills much earlier on than a lot of schools. Definitely one of EVMS's assets for sure.

Anyway, hopefully you found this helpful - especially in the 'why evms?' realm. I don't attend EVMS, but do attend another US allopathic school.

P.S. Your grades and MCAT are higher than mine were...

VTeight,

Good luck on your interview...

I interviewed at EVMS last year and am not sure if much has changed, but here are a few thoughts that might help:

- Re: US vs Canada differences... Bear in mind that VA is generally a pretty conservative state and you could very well end up being interviewed by one or more people who are very opposed to Obama and/or reform or see nothing wrong with the current system. In my opinion, it's a fine balance between being able to stick up for what you believe in and also being aware of and acknowledging the counter points. Personally, I very much believe in universal coverage, but acknowledged in interviews that neither system is perfect and discussed the pros and cons of both and where I thought both needed improvement. I would anticipate questions about Cdns who don't want to wait for care coming to the US or some other question about needing to wait for care in Canada. You don't need experience with the US system, but maybe think about your own experiences in Canada (personally or family members), what was good, what wasn't etc...

- Re: EVMS.... Make sure you can answer why you want to go to the US and why EVMS. I was asked specifically 'why would a nice Canadian like me want to go to school in VA?' I explained that the US had always opened more doors for me and had more opportunities available. If you don't know a lot about the US system, maybe express interest in learning/experiencing it. The folks at EVMS are very friendly, the interview is laid back (for me it was one faculty member, one community member and one med student) and their students seem very happy there and a very cohesive group. The clinical facilities are impressive and EVMS is VERY proud of their use of standardized patients in the preclinical years. They use them very extensively right from the beginning of med school, giving their students excellent exposure to patient interviewing and clinical exam skills much earlier on than a lot of schools. Definitely one of EVMS's assets for sure.

Anyway, hopefully you found this helpful - especially in the 'why evms?' realm. I don't attend EVMS, but do attend another US allopathic school.

P.S. Your grades and MCAT are higher than mine were...

md2013, that's very helpful! thanks a lot. I am still scrambling on what exactly to say, and I was planning on talking more about building a healthy nation making healthy lifestyle choices, before actually considering whether reform would be right. Hopefully they'll buy that too - it's an angle that fits more with the research I've done as an undergrad.

No problem. Definitely do a little research on their standardized patients before Friday, as it really is one of their strengths and will show that you know some specifics about their school. They are very well trained and travel to other med schools and board review courses teaching clinical skills.

I'd like to add that by and large, US interviews ARE the relaxed/conversational interviews people have told you about. It doesn't hurt to be prepared for a question about health care systems (it is obviously fair game and some people will get asked) - but don't get hung up on it. You are much more likely to get stuff like "tell me about yourself" or "what do you think it means to be a doctor" and other really general questions.

I've interviewed at 3 schools, and at 2 1-on-1 interviews per school, I've never been asked about health care reform (I realize that isn't a large sample size.... but it does mean it's not something you're super likely to encounter).

Archived