Premed 101 Forums

More US medical schools

Well you can only extend your F1 for one year (there's a special name for that that allows you to work and get paid which I forget). The advantage of that over caribbean and other Canadian IMGs is that you have that one year to do the paperwork for the H1 (or so I was told). But you'd have to make sure the institution where you're doing your residency is going to sponsor you.

I think you're referring to the OPT year? It extends your student visa for one year, to allow you to get your paperwork done and complete the parts of your USMLE.

Ian Wong talks about it in this thread: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20803

There's also tons of information on that thread pertaining to H1B and J1 visas and timelines for obtaining these visas.

No no. You can go from MD to a good residency no problem. It is whether or not you want to stay after.

For you it might be a little bit messy as you are Malaysian. If you don't get an H1B, you would have to get a letter from Malaysia to state need for you to get the J1. After your residency though, you would have to leave the US and go back to Malaysia, unless you do the J1 waiver (which is the rural thing). You probably could go back to Canada on visa I'm sure.

If you get an H1B, you would be allowed to stay in the US ie find work right after residency anywhere (urban/rural) in the US and renew/change your current H1B. Having the H1B is a good first step for PR.

Last time I checked the Statement of Need and a couple of specialties were actually missing e.g. Ophthalmology. I believe they do give statement of needs for the ones not on the list, but that's just hearsay.

It's very difficult to open up a private school. The training of a single MD costs somewhere between 150-200K a year so that 40-50K you pay only partially pays for the cost of training an MD. US privates have a ton of money (think Harvard, Hopkins, etc.) but are still largely not-for-profit schools. To open up a private school in Canada, you'd have to have a private university that's already established willing to do so but Canadian privates tend to be very small and don't have a lot of money.

can I please see your source for that..

id really like a link...thanks

Archived